• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

My new toy.

Agronomist_at_IA

Quote:
It's the not messing with gas issue. When my partner MT and I pulled up to a spot last season I would have three holes drilled before he even choked his Nils. My Clam Drill Plate/DeWalt XR 20v/Lazer Drill setup weighs in a 13.97lbs. The Nils I sold last year Tanaka Engine/Nils Drill weighed in at 19.87lbs. Almost 6lbs different is a big deal. MT and I now both have sold our Nils. Not sure where you getting your info but you would be in the same setup I got for $85 less than the Nils.

Clam Drill Plate Kit/Auger - $150

Clam Auger Extension - $16

DeWalt 20v XR 4Ah Kit - $209 (Sale price at Runnings)

DeWalt 20v XR 4Ah Batteries 2pk - $129

Total $504

Nils 6 in Kit at Red Rock $589

Thanks for the reply. Like I said I did some quick research and the batteries I was looking at were most more expensive. With your numbers it does put it right at a gas auger with 2 batteries. I guess I could justify the extra batteries with gas and oil savings. Although my 4 stroke sips the gas so I hope I can get many years out of the batteries.

It's the not messing with gas issue. When my partner MT and I pulled up to a spot last season I would have three holes drilled before he even choked his Nils. My Clam Drill Plate/DeWalt XR 20v/Lazer Drill setup weighs in a 13.97lbs. The Nils I sold last year Tanaka Engine/Nils Drill weighed in at 19.87lbs. Almost 6lbs different is a big deal. MT and I now both have sold our Nils. Not sure where you getting your info but you would be in the same setup I got for $85 less than the Nils.

Clam Drill Plate Kit/Auger - $150

DeWalt 20v XR 4Ah Kit - $209 (Sale price at Runnings)

DeWalt 20v XR 4Ah Batteries 2pk - $129

Total $504

Nils 6 in Kit at Red Rock $589

Sounds like you did a good job getting the price down. Makes it more reasonable upfront cost (including the item you got on sale wink. But remember, Nils is the high end auger price scale. But the down fall here is those batteries that need to be replaced every other year...if you're luck.

set-up is 6lbs less...but what about the other 3-4 batteries?

I hope the selling point isn't you had three holes drilled before his auger was choked...maybe he's just old and slow and didn't get it out of the car quick! Most gas augers (well taken care of) start within a pull or two and the Nils is no exception. Now the Nils isn't perfect either as some don't like all the sluch it makes but if you're gonna knock out 300 plus hole, I'd take any gas auger over a battery any day. I'll pay $300-$600 once, plus gas ever year (very little expense here) vs $500 for battery auger plus another $100-$150 in batteries every other year...if not sooner and a drill head ($200+) probably every 2-3 years if not sooner.

I'm not aurguing that this Clam is bad, but definetly not a good auger for a run'n gun'er or who is gonna pop 300 holes a day. Its not right for this application.

But I'll give both you and your buddy props for getting rid of two Nils augers for two battery driven clam plates crazy

The package price bottom line also looks much nicer with the staff discount applied. Don't forget to factor that in. wink

Bottom line for me, I had the Conversion Plate, sold it and picked up an Ion, couldn't be happier...

and if we're gonna post the cheapest prices found on the internet for all of the parts needed for a Clam kit (drill, batteries, conversion plate, auger bit, etc) then stop quoting the msrp price for an ION as they can be found on clearance in the spring time all over the internet. They can be found for less than $400...

I think the drill plate is cool but no way am I selling my tanaka for one......ever! grin like mentioned my purchase is done. No batteries or drill heads to be replaced.

Clam Drill Plate Kit-$50

Milwaukee 18 fuel & 4Ah Batteries 2pk - $270

Hand auger- $40

Total $376

Here is the numbers i came up with.......Bought all within last month.......is even cheaper if you have a hand auger or the drill already which many probably do.

icehole, come out to any UPL this season and check it out for yourself. I was running 4 batteries last season. I am planning on carrying six just because when it got real thick in March I finally ran through all 4 on tourney day. This season I'm running the new brushless and the 5Ah batteries so it should be even better. Believe me your now going to be seeing more of these at the UPL, NAIFC and Team Extreme tournaments because the of the performance I had with it. My setup last season was the DeWalt XR 20v 4Ah batteries.
We run the Milwaukee brushless at work and with last years brutal winter they worked even on the coldest days.

Quote:

I'm not aurguing that this Clam is bad, but definetly not a good auger for a run'n gun'er or who is gonna pop 300 holes a day. Its not right for this application.

You know I would agree if you do a lot of run and gunning where you are cutting holes basicly all day long scouting you should have a gas auger, but I'm throwing the bull [PoorWordUsage] flag on cutting 300 holes a day. In fact I really question if the average ice fisherman who moves to catch fish really cuts much more more then 20-40 holes on most outings.

In a 12hr day.......which in the winter Is unlikely to see ice fishing since it isnt light for 12hrs. you would have a total of 720 min. cut 300 holes.... you better be cutting one every 2.4 min for 12hrs straight. That means you dont have time to even fish.........

in an 8hr day you'd be looking at cutting a hole every 1.6 min.

Heck if you kinda figure an 8 hour day of fishing, then figure your cutting 40 holes an outting you'd have to be cutting a new hole every 12 min. This I would think is a more feasble or realistic of an outing do to cutting, fishing, and walking time.

I'm sure some guys would get more holes, but Just from fishing in my area for the last 20years I would say 95% of the ice fisherman in my area probably cut less then 20 holes in an outing.

Quote:

You know I would agree if you do a lot of run and gunning where you are cutting holes basicly all day long scouting you should have a gas auger, but I'm throwing the bull [PoorWordUsage] flag on cutting 300 holes a day. In fact I really question if the average ice fisherman who moves to catch fish really cuts much more more then 20-40 holes on most outings.

In a 12hr day.......which in the winter Is unlikely to see ice fishing since it isnt light for 12hrs. you would have a total of 720 min. cut 300 holes.... you better be cutting one every 2.4 min for 12hrs straight. That means you dont have time to even fish.........

in an 8hr day you'd be looking at cutting a hole every 1.6 min.

Heck if you kinda figure an 8 hour day of fishing, then figure your cutting 40 holes an outting you'd have to be cutting a new hole every 12 min. This I would think is a more feasble or realistic of an outing do to cutting, fishing, and walking time.

I'm sure some guys would get more holes, but Just from fishing in my area for the last 20years I would say 95% of the ice fisherman in my area probably cut less then 20 holes in an outing.

I would agree the average ice angler wont cut 300 holes a day, probably not even the run and gunner either. If you got to cut 300 holes just to find fish then your definitely having the worst of luck or the body of water your fishing is dead sea.

The thought of cutting an ice hole every 2.4 min to reach 300 holes in 720min of day is not a good analogy cause one simply does not cut an ice hole once every 2.4 min all day long. Same for an 8hr day. Given an example scenario if there is 22" of ice per say and an auger is efficient enough cut through it in about 8-10 secs along with factoring in a 2 sec delay for each move to the next hole one could probably drill about 4-5 holes within a minute or so. So one could say in period of 5-6 minutes you could have up to 20 holes cut. With the run and gun tactic your simply dropping the transducer and if you dont see fish you move on to the next hole. Typically if your working in as a team of 2-4 or more then covering ground is much more efficient even if there is only 1 person doing the drilling. Knowing this a team of 4 could likely cover a good area and keep cutting till they locate fish. So it be pretty easy to reach 100 holes within the half hour.

Now even if 4 guys fish each hole for 5 mins they could cover 20 holes in 25mins; they still be able to cover at least up to 40 holes total in 1hr; drilling time included. 40holes an hour x 8hr = 320 holes.

But seriously if your drilling 300+ holes in a day you better be tournament fishing. Run and gun tactics isnt a surefire way to find fish. One simply needs to do the research and study the lake before going out blind.

With all said, I myself have never done 300 holes in one day unless with multiple drillers in a large group exceeding 6+. I generally fish in a party of 4 and on an unknown lake that we have studied and explored we have more then on occasion drilled on average anywhere from 20-150 holes to have a successful outing.

When I start out on a spot I'll drill strategically to fully look it over that could be 20 holes or sometimes 30. I'll do that pretty much at each spot I try. I keep in mind the time of day , people close or not , that sort of thing . With how efficient these augers are now it's nothing to do 100 plus holes sometimes especially if on big water it's more like 200 .... whistle where are they.......lol

I am curious, you as we'll as a couple other posters mention hammer drills, do you actually use that function when drilling holes, because if you do, that must be pretty tough on your auger to be pounding it's way thru the ice and I would think you would lose your edge quickly. Seems to me that an impact drill would make. more sense from a torque standpoint if you could find one with an adapter to fit the auger.

I am curious, you as we'll as a couple other posters mention hammer drills, do you actually use that function when drilling holes, because if you do, that must be pretty tough on your auger to be pounding it's way thru the ice and I would think you would lose your edge quickly. Seems to me that an impact drill would make. more sense from a torque standpoint if you could find one with an adapter to fit the auger.

The reason for getting the hammer drill isn't to use the hammer fuction, its because they are usually made heavier then a non hammer drill. Thougt is that they will last longer and take a lot more abuse.

my thoughts start here.... If you guys are punching 300 holes a day(excluding the tourney guys), I wanna come tally them with you. I USED to say the same thing but more like 150 holes a day, till I started looking at electric augers. then I started really counting and realized I only averaged 50-60 holes a day. Sure, I had days where I drilled 150 holes a day, but I also started to notice that the more I fished certain bodies of water, the lesser the holes I drilled since I became more efficient at finding fish in those lakes. it was at this point I realized I could get by with electric just fine. I dont plan to use it once the ice hits 20 inches though, then I will bust out the gasser.

With all that said you guys should come out and observe an UPL, NAFIC and Team Extreme events. Been said many times the biggest fish come out of the first drop of each hole. Many many teams are drilling that many holes. Mainly the days I reach 300 are while scouting not even dropping a line. Game day its more like 150. Drilling holes is the name of the game and doing it the most efficient way is why we are utilizing the Clam Drill Plate and DeWalt Drills. Starting stopping gas engine don't do the job. Not many tourneys are won by the plop and flop guys. The Clam Drill Plate work so well many teams had them by the end of season. This year I guarantee it will be the number one used auger at each UPL event. Guys are hooked at the results they've seen from last years use.

I think it looks cool as heck and would consider one my gas auger is nearing the end of its useful life.

I'm not easily impressed but I am easily amused. Whether it's over 100 300 500 I wonder if these folks who boast of their massive hole count per day use a clicker counter for accuracy or if or just keep track of such figures in their melons as they drill hole after hole after hole. Maybe they count them at the end of the day just to double check their numbers and then keep a season long tally going LOL. Sheees imagine the time lost actually fishing if a person actually drills 2 or 3 hundred holes. I mean it takes a bit of time to get thru the ice no matter just how great ones auger is, then I'd think most are taking at least a few steps away to drill their next hole or set of holes. Maybe they sprint from hole to hole in order to get a bit more fishing time in their day I dunno but for years I have chuckled at a few folks and their incredible tallies per day.

Maybe the auger manufacturers or even Vexilar can come up with an auger handle mounted clicker counter gizmo for these people as it may speed up their procedure and make them more efficient on the ice.

I think I'd get tired just watching these folks drill drill drill and I would'nt want them anywhere near me.

This post is not directed at anyone in particular as I've seen many folks over the years profess ginormous hole count per day numbers whether they're fun fishers, promotional staffers, legendary anglers or plain BeeS'rs !!

Fisky we have all said that 26" walleye was 28" or 49" musky is 50" haven't we? I get what you're saying though and I'm just as guilty as the next when it comes to while count. Typical day for me is really under 30 holes. Some days I drill 15 to 20 before fishing one but that is on know waters when I have GPS coordinates telling me its a good spot. If I didn't know the water it could be far greater.

Not directed at you LL as I was replying to that Eric fellers post before you chimed in with your most recent post.. Wife showed up with the DQ food so I was delayed eh.

Eric did mention in his post... "{ excluding the tourney guys }" and I can see where a Panfish tourney contestant prefishing would/could require a load of holes oftentimes.

So LL these small bit electric units are maybe the shizzz iffin a guy fishes Panfish tounaments.. Are they the best thing out there for the everyday Joe angler ? I'd say probably not. Depends how where and just what ya fish for I'd reckon.

I understand why you like it so much and see it now as more of a specialty niche type auger.

Capn'ski. I hear ya but not everyone is a yarnspinner I'd hope. Man I've spent some winters working on the LOTW ice sheet and have drilled alot of holes on particular days and it can kinda suck when the hole count gets way high.. Mind you this is reopening alot of holes in huts with an 8 inch chipper and 24 inch extention thru 3+ foot of ice. Fun fun then you get to take a break and slush everything !! Ouch my back !! 200 holes with a five inch shaver bit thru fresh ice would be gravy in comparison.

Shees Boar you snuck one in there too ! Okay man we got ya penciled in for Friday afternoon it's looking.. We'll be in the little Lund.. I got a life jacket for ya but make sure to bring your own helmet and swim fins okay ??

Cool beans man! Im ther! Got a helmel to and dog paddle prety good. Suppers on me at roosevelt baors nest if ya like beer and ribeye!

LOTW been there many times with 3' plus ice. Two years ago a buddy and I had two 12" extensions together just to get through. Only to realize are must have been on an old ice road! Lol. We had to look hilarious as he stood on the seat of his snowmobile to drill holes lol.

I used to have a camper house that was two ft off the ice. Had two 12"exts to. Had tip it side ways to put in and out of the hole and it would flood out each hole. Maddening.

CM.. Yepper those old roads can be extra thick and they're pretty hard on the shaver blades too!!

Boar I bet you actually like drilling in your new hut now after that monster.

I have been running a M18 Milwaukee, for the past 3 years for anything under 20 niches of ice. I have put my clicker to work to see just how many holes I would get out of a battery. with a 6" bit I can get 70 hole in 12 inches of ice. I got 50 hole in 20 inches of ice. With 3 battery's on a average day drilling holes for 4 guys we would get plenty of hole to fish all day long. I am very happy with the my clam/millwaukee set up...