• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Royal Dutchman's Walleye Fishing Report

October 4th, 2014:

Yesterday we had 2 guys go out for a few hours and they said they caught some walleye but that it was cold. Most of the day it rained and then started snowing around 3:30 PM for a while but the snow didn't stay for too long. Today was very windy and cold but that didn't stop the guys from going fishing for the day. They spent most of the day out there and they said they caught some walleye on the river and called it a good day of fishing. I didn't get exact numbers but they were happy.

Here is a picture of the snow on my car on October 3, 2014:

full-40547-49763-resizedimage_1412526347

October 6th, 2014:

Today was windy again but didn't feel as cold as it has the last few days. I finally got flowers dug up and tulips planted for next year. The guys said that fishing was quite a bit slower by ClementsonAccessOnRainyRiver today but they did pick up a 25 inch walleye they released closer to our place. Another group fished by Birchdale and said they did really good today. Hoping everyone has a safe and fun fall fishing trip.

October 5th, 2014:

Sounded like most of the groups caught some fish and were able to have a good supper. The biggest walleyes I heard were a 19 inch and a 23 inch. It was windy pretty much all day but they braved the cold wind and caught some fish. One of the guys also caught a 42 inch Northern today and will hopefully have pictures soon of all their fish.

October 10th, 2014:

Today was finally nice and not much wind (I think it was windy for at least 6 days straight). We talked to a few different groups today and one group said they did really good and got their limits. Another group said they had a little bit slower day but enjoyed the weather. We had about 3 boats in front of our place this morning and most of the afternoon. There were 2 different boats by our place this evening we are hoping the walleye are moving in closer to us so we might be able to go fishing one of these evenings. Sounds like tomorrow is going to be in mid-50s with not much wind. We hope everyone has a safe and fun weekend fishing! Remember to send us your pictures at [email protected].

October 9th, 2014:

Today was still windy and cold but some groups seemed to have a good day of fishing while another group said it was their slowest day so far. We had a friend go out this evening and caught 14 fish in just a few hours and ended up keeping his limit.

October 15th, 2014:

Fishing has been slow for some groups on Sunday and Monday. Grant managed to get out fishing with some guys and said he caught one slot walleye on Sunday, the other guys caught one keeper, a few small ones, and missed a few.

We received an email from Brad, " My son’s first trip to the Rainy River was a huge success. Sunday (10/12) was even better than Saturday (10/11). Sunday the fish were much bigger, not huge…but my 7 year old landed 3 in the 23-25 inch range."

We haven't had many people up fishing during the week but we did get a group yesterday that came to fish for sturgeon (catch and release season) and they got quite a few yesterday and today. Today one boat had 2 sturgeon over 60 inches and one boat caught about 13 for the day along with the other 2 boats fishing sturgeon doing very good too. We hope to have more reports tomorrow as more groups show up for the weekend. We hope the weather stays warm for them and they have good luck fishing.

October 13th, 2014:

I received this email from Aaron who was here October 9th-11th, Here is what he said:

"We hit them pretty well between 9-1 on Thursday and Friday, then again after 3 but slower. Thursday of course was better than Friday. We may have been the only ones out there back trolling and moving around Thursday, but it gave us a full limit that day and we didn't have to mess with the anchor. Fished 18-20 of water at Airport, windsock, airport dock, houseboat with most success. Spent all day on Saturday (and it was gorgeous) at the houseboat in 20-23 feet of water. We did very well there and managed a couple 21's, a 23 and a 28 incher that all went back. It shut off when it got windy, and the bite came back but it was very light. We finished up that day with our possession limit by 5 o'clock and pulled out Sunday morning to head home. Hope all had good luck that day as well.

Used 3/8 to 3/4 and had best luck on green/chartreuse with short shanks, as well as the tricolor green/glow/orange as well as gold, some luck on bubblegum tricolor with glow as well. Some bites on everything, but nothing on the Lindy i can recall. They were a bit picky as to how you thread the minnow up."

Please click on the Royal Dutchman ad at the top of the page and go to Summer and Fall Pictures to view the latest walleye pictures that were just emailed to me.

Thank you everyone!

October 19th, 2014:

This past Thursday thru today fishing was spotty for many groups with Friday being the worst day for almost everyone. Sounds like some groups enjoyed a fish fry over the weekend and were able to take some home. Today we had some guys fishing in front of our place and one guy caught a 22 inch walleye right away. Grant and I actually went out for about an hour yesterday (Saturday) and we got 3 northerns while pulling plugs and missed 2 fish while jigging before heading back in. Sounds like fishing has been good by the airport this past weekend but today the guy's said they didn't have much luck there so they tried many spots. We have one group with 2 boats that fished all day long and they are planning on having a fish fry I saw their bucket of fish and they looked like nice ones. Another group just checked in and said that today was pretty slow. Hoping the big walleyes move in soon for all the fishermen and fisherwomen out there.

They will flood in soon en mass. Thanks for the reports Grant and mrs. Appreciated and anticipated.

You guys tell it like it is.. Thanks.

Enjoy the fall season.

I've only fished the river from the Vidas landing and east.

Are there any public access's on the Rainy in Baudette or off of the Wheeler's Point road, other than the one right before Adrian's access?

Are the water depths between 4 mile bay and Baudette, similar to the water depths east of Baudette?

Thanks!!

Brian

River averages deeper downstream.

Two public ramps in Baudette. One between town and Wheelers on Wabanica bay.

Some friends fished by the bridges in Baudette on Sunday.

They boated around 30 walleyes and saugers. Only 2 of the walleyes were big ones.

MIght have to wait till the April run.

Brian

Hey Everyone! Sorry for the delay in the fishing report....It's been a busy weekend and I meant to get this up on Sunday evening. It sounded like this weekend that a few groups were fishing near Vidas Landing and Frontier Landing and some groups went a little east of Frontier and didn't have very good luck so they ended up going west of Frontier and did better.

October 28th, 2014:

We had one group out fishing yesterday that said they ended up keeping 7 fish for the few hours they were out on the River. It didn't sound like many slot fish were caught. My dad (Alyse's) went fishing on the lake yesterday with another guy and they had their limit in a few hours but nothing big. Today it was rainy and we even had some snowflakes this afternoon but that didn't stop the people from fishing. We haven't had a chance to talk to them to see how they did today but they did go out and fish most of the day.

October 26th, 2014:

Fishing over the weekend was either a hit or miss for most groups. We did hear that some groups were catching quite a few slot walleyes in the mid 20's but nothing huge. One guy had some good luck as he landed a 12 pound, 31 1/2 inch walleye to mount. Sounded like some groups caught their limits and ate fish a few times during their stay. They did say there were a lot of small ones caught too but they said it was still fun! I saw one picture of a small walleye that a guy caught and it was barely bigger than his shiner. The weather was pretty windy on Saturday.

Hello Brian,

There are 2 public landings in Baudette there is one that is by Customs we call it Peace Park here in town but you can see it as soon as you drive by the Duty Free on the US side (you turn north at the big walleye statue and follow that road and then you will see the landing). Then there is one that is just east of town at Timber Mill Park. Hope this helps you

Fiskynut,

Big is a 25" and a 26", nice fish but on the bottom of my scale of what a BIG walleye is.

Thanks for the info. Royal Dutchman!

Hoping to arrow a deer in the next 3 days so I can run up on Monday.

Hope the fish start pouring into the river in the next 5 days.

Brian

November 1st, 2014:

We hope everyone had a fun and safe Halloween. Grant enjoyed the day pheasant hunting in South Dakota and I was able to go with some friends and their kids trick-or-treating. We haven't had many groups here fishing but a guy that rents by the month has been out the last few days and it has been slow. Today he was out a few hours despite the wind and caught a walleye right away, a sauger, and some northerns. Hoping the fishing picks up and the wind would quit so it would feel nice outside and not so cold.

November 6th, 2014:

There was one group of 3 out fishing for a few hours this afternoon after they checked into their room. They said it was slow but kept 3 fish and they were up by the church. They are thinking about trying closer to ClementsonAccessOnRainyRiver tomorrow. We talked to some locals that were out fishing on Wednesday evening and they did good right before dark for about 45 mins despite the wind and cold that day. Hoping the people fishing have some better luck and weather and the deer hunters have a safe hunting season and get the big buck.

• 1 month later...

December 27th, 2014:

We have heard mixed reviews of fishing and today I talked to one group that just got in from fishing for the day. They ended up keeping 10 fish for the day and they said they were all nice keepers they are hoping to catch 6 tomorrow so they can go home with their limits. We had friends that were out fishing yesterday about 13 miles out and they did really good for the day. We have also heard of some groups not having as much luck but still having fun.