• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anyone ever fish the Alma Float?

Pretty intriguing place, found it online by chance. Basically seems like they boat you over to a giant fishing dock in deeper water near the dam and allows for shore fishing with boat fishing depths. Anyone ever been there to experience it? I suppose just like anything else the fishing is different each day, but I'm always seeing pictures of people with stringers full of catfish and walleyes.

Thinking of giving it a shot in a couple weeks. Their w e b site (can't say that on here for some reason?) states a MN fishing license is valid to use (which is strange to me, but I won't argue) and it's pretty cool that you can fish all day for a good price with food, bathrooms and benches all around.

The float is on the MN side of the river, but I believe you are boated in from the WI side. Which doesn't matter, because either license is good for either side of the river.

I've never fished from the float, but have been down there in a boat, and it is a pretty cool sight. Lot's of stuff to catch down there.

I have never personally fished from it but I walk my dog past it every weekend. Generally speaking there are 10-30 people fishing on it every time I walk past during the summer. I have been meaning to try their breakfast there but never wanted to launch my boat and go through the lock for bacon and eggs.

The Alma dam can be good in the fall and the spot the float is located in is as good as any. I wouldn't hesitate to fish it. I actually fish near it more in the spring and see people catching fish off of it all the time.

• 6 months later...

Two of my former students run the float. At one point, they served breakfast, and wer featured on the Food Network in a Mississippi bike trip from Louisana to Minneapolis. They now have frozen pizzas, etc that you can heat up in the cafe. I take a group of high school kids down there each May. We have been fortunate to have the kids catch between 10 & 13 different kinds of fish. And usually, we have a few kids catch enough to take home a meal for the family. Some just go along for the trip in the sun, so they come back bronze for prom, but most will give it a try. We have run into the same people many times. A good indication of the continued success. Check out their website for more details. I don't think you will be disappointed!

Correct, a MN fishing license is valid for MN/WI border waters... as is a WI license

I practically grew up on the float, through the 90s or so - much of my extended family is in the Alma area. I've only been there a few times in the past 15 years. I heard the cooking is done there is done - legal/permitting stuff or something. Too bad, the food was pretty good.

Fishing is typically good. Walleye fishing should be good the next 2-3 weeks or so. After that it becomes a solid mixed bag with everything from Catfish to Sunfish

I have fished the float for over thirty years. If you are there at the right time it can be a great time. You never know what you are going to catch. Lots of fun and no worries about getting the boat in and out of the water and if it is cold you can get out of the wind and have some coffee or hot cocoa.

Was there a few times with the grandparents before I was old enough to drive.I don't remember us ever catching a bunch of fish,pretty cool though.

A MN or Wi fishing license is required, however if you are a MN resident you must have a MN license. You must be licensed in the state you reside when fishing a boarder water. Last I heard there were some perch biting off the float but that was a while ago.

Mike

so if my son and I were going to venture down there for a day of fishing, we would need rods and what kind of tackle? bottom rigs and jigs with floats or just jigs and maybe some plastics?

Minnows and crawlers I suppose? Thanks for the help

Yup, all of the above. You can fish two lines a piece so cast out a sinker rig with a minnow or crawler and cast a jig with plastics or bait with the other. White bass should be going around there too.