• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2014 Archery Hunting Photo Contest

DonBo

I know it's a bit late in the game to get started, but let's do this again:

In the interest of encouraging bowhunters in learning to take better hunting photos and in sharing them, I would like to start a 2014 HSO photo contest. This contest will not be judged on how large a critter one takes, but rather on the quality of the photo they submit. Such things as composition, tastefulness, focus, background, lack of blood, etc. will weigh much heavier than will the size of the animal. All things being close to equal, then size may play a small part.

Photos will be submitted simply by posting in this photo thread.

It will be open to any HSOer, as long as the photo/photos they submit were:

(1) Taken while hunting with a bow and arrow. (2) Taken in the calendar year of 2014. (3) Taken on the North American Continent (4) Taken within a State, Country, or Province that requires a hunting license or a carcass tag for that species. (5) taken using fair chase practices.

Each entrant can submit three photos in each of the two categories. Category 1 will be the “Hero Shot” category- this is just as it sounds. Pictures in this category will be of a hunter and an animal he’s successfully taken with is bow and arrow. This can be a “classic hero shot” or something different, but pics of hunters and their harvested game animals will go in this category. Category 2 will be “Non-Hero Shot” and these pictures can be anything that does NOT contain downed game. Importantly, these pictures must be taken while in the process of archery hunting. They can be anything from sunsets, live deer, live bears, flowers, an old oak tree, a blood trail, etc. You get the idea…

Both of these categories are included in hopes of getting people to carry their cameras in the field with them. The non-hero shot category especially was included to get people to carry their cameras with them and hopefully to get people to take those cameras out and use them frequently.

I will find a non-partial judge to pick the winners. My vote will not count, so don't blame me if your photo does not win.

Not sure at this point how many prizes there will be, but I know a nice Scent Killer Package from Wildlife Research Center will be included.

f2b3482e-d523-48aa-bc81-fab150dffe0a_zps

The contest will close at the end of legal shooting light on Dec. 31st. Any photos entered after that will not be considered. If anyone needs help getting a picture loaded for the contest, please let me know and I’ll gladly take care of it for you if you can e-mail me the photo.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Can a crossbow be used instead of a bow? I can not use a normal bow any more. Also that is a heck of Mule Deer and awesome photo congrats.

Can a crossbow be used instead of a bow?

As long as it is of legal use during the archery season, with a legal archery tag, I'll allow it. Post 'em up!

full-9-49675-dscf9927.jpg

I was hunting in northern Colorado on public land last week when I encountered this 5x5 bull. We called him into 14 yards while he was trailing a cow. The cow ended up spooking when she winded my hunting partner, the bull was staring me down at the time. Right as the cow spooked the bull jumped and started to run, without thinking I drew my bow in hopes that he would stop for a split second. He did stop, and I drilled him right in the boiler room. Elk hunting is a game of preparation meeting opportunity, it truly is amazing when it all finally comes together. Awesome experience.

• 2 weeks later...

full-30011-50062-joshdoe_smallpic.jpg

This is my son, Josh, and the doe he shot at the youth hunt at Camp Ripley. We hunted at the Lake Alexander Area. He made a nice 45 yard shot, which he practices, and even though he 'nicked' the heart, she gave us a run for our money! Found her partially submerged in a pond after a 2+ hour search! A nice way to end his last youth hunt...his first deer with a bow!

• 2 weeks later...

category 1

5d880ec6-00c2-4e6a-8483-c2168c97a199_zps

My fiance's first buck let alone her first bow kill.

Sorry ill edit out the blood and arrow when I get back to my computer. I was just excited about the picture.

• 3 weeks later...

Awfully quiet in this thread! Remember folks, you don't need to shoot a dang thing to post pics in here- you can take pics and post non-hero shots, even if you don't shoot a thing. Just a friendly reminder...

full-30011-50790-lakealex11_7.jpg

One more from that area. This little lake reminds a lot of people of a lot of places in their lives, cool place! Obviously category 2 for both.

With the archery season winding down, don't forget to get those pics in.

Lots of nice prizes, along with this from Wildlife Research Center:

f2b3482e-d523-48aa-bc81-fab150dffe0a_zps

Eyeguy 54 has donated some jerky cure, Scent Shield Field Wipes and a Widow Maker Scent Drag.

And NoWiser has offered a 1 year subscription to Eastman's Bowhunting Journal magazine.

Not sure where this fits either but it makes me happy. Especially after my son told me "Dad, I had a lot of fun today." He also hopped around on one foot excitedly at church and told my neighbor, "My dad got a doe yesterday right through the heart. He showed it to us." shockedgrin

full-25796-51272-photo3.jpg

Agreed!!! Great picture!!! Cant wait till my kids are big enough to haul my deer out for me!! (guess I have to shoot one first)

• The topic was unpinned