• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fish house remodel - Removing the booth and making a couch

Glockwinger

As I attempt to solve my heater problem from another post, I got to thinking about my fish house and maybe making some modifications. After a discussion with my brother who also has an IC fish house, I decided to embark on a remodel and rewire project on the fish house.

Some back story...I am 6'2" and the bottom bunk on my fish house was just under six feet long. For the past five years, I have been trying to sleep at an angle or with my knees bent to use the bunk. The top bunk was also too low and I would hit my head on it when I tried to sit in the booth when the table was installed. (I know I could have lifted the top bunk but it generally served as storage for all the bedding and clothing bags.) For the past two years I don't think I used the booth once, I always left it as a bed. So my brother (who is an engineer) helped me come to the idea of removing the cabinets and turning the booth/bed into a couch that transforms into a bed. So after I made some sketches and measurements, the destruction process commenced!

This is what the booth looked like with the top bunk in place:

20140922_2010311_zpscd0124bb.jpg

Here is the top bunk removed:

20140924_1842341_zps3055ddb9.jpg

Further dismantling of the booth and cabinet:

20140924_1915401_zps057d5b1b.jpg

20140924_1939481_zps14c7e768.jpg

20140924_1944111_zpse3911207.jpg

20140924_2010441_zps83ca3322.jpg

Here is a picture of everything removed. (Battery still hooked up to enjoy tunes while working!)

20140924_2023401_zps690bf49c.jpg

Here is the beginning stages of the layout for the couch/bed.

20140924_2028411_zps71720b1a.jpg

The plan is to have a built in couch across the back that converts into a bed. I will have to get two cushions made to match the others to bridge the gap of 19" gained in the process. Anybody know someone who makes cushion covers? grin I will also be building a new top bunk that spans the full 8' and is mounted higher on the wall. The new 12 volt converter has been ordered and will be going to a system of two 6v golf cart batteries in series for my power when not on the generator. Stay tuned as the project continues!

- Glockwinger

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Looks like a good plan. Opens things up and makes for better sleeping spaces for bigger people. You may not loss any storage with bigger boxes under the couch/bed. The old design with the odd small opening to the corner storage just seems a little goofy? confused

full-27051-49471-20140922_2010311_zpscd0

It was very goofy. You could not get anything in the lower cabinet without a struggle. I pretty much stopped using it. With the reconfiguration I will not loose much storage...vertical storage is less usable that horizontal.

Glockwinger

This is what I had done in mine,I was concerned that sleeping on the couch was gonna be to narrow and uncomfortable, so I pitched this idea to the builder, and it works great! Just something to keep in mind if u plan on sleeping on the couch alot.

full-44982-49482-20140925_084801.jpg

full-44982-49483-20140925_091311_1_1.jpg

Elkoholic,

What is used for supports in the front when it is pulled out? Could you post some pictures without the cushions on it?

Elkoholic,

What is used for supports in the front when it is pulled out? Could you post some pictures without the cushions on it?

Yes please! I am still working out how I am going to turn it into a bed. Looks like your setup has a futon frame.

They are called jack knife sofas. I have two in my yetti and love them. All that is needed is a simple frame made out of 2X2's that is mounted to the floor. Set the sofa on top of frame and attach with screws. Make sure there is enough clearance between wall and back of couch for motion when u move it up or down.

Is not a jack knife, a built in is much better lookin in my opinion, i don't have a picture with the cushions not on it right now, I'll try and post one tomorrow. The front of the couch folds up, it's on hinges and two legs fold down and hold it up, than u just slide the backrest cushion down. It works really slick!

full-44982-49519-20140925_084834_1.jpg

This is the easiest way I could figure out, and simple blue tubs hold a ton of stuff and can be taken out if you want. One is 18 inches, one is 22 inches. You can sit up straight or slouch, or move it flat for a bed. I never liked booths, not comfortable for sleeping or eating.

full-32586-49527-2.jpg

full-32586-49528-photo1.jpg

full-32586-49527-2.jpg

full-32586-49528-photo1.jpg

Hawg, love your carpet! wink

Ever grab at the wrong fish on those low light, late nights after a day of "pops"? grin

UPDATE

So I put a number of hours into the fish house yesterday. I rebuilt the top bunk, reinforcing it so it did not flex as much with bigger adults up there. I beefed it up with a 2x4 across the front instead of the 2x3. I raised the bunk up 6 inches to make more room below. It does put the top bunk pretty close to the ceiling. 20" at the side wall. I also added 2x4 supports underneath for better stability.

20140927_151205_zpsa7c1c761.jpg

20140927_151746_zps5d156ddf.jpg

Then I secured the bench seats and tied them together with left over T&G from the removed closet. Trimmed it out with pine from the closet and some new 1x4 I bought.

20140927_155524_zpsdebdf4b3.jpg

20140927_164328_zpsfba87953.jpg

20140927_165929_zps6a5f8506.jpg

Next, I cut a piece of 3/4" plywood for the back and base of the couch. This will also serve as the doors to the storage areas. I also added a 110 outlet on the front of the couch.

20140927_185924_zps30c1d7af.jpg

20140927_192947_zpsd2ce1ee2.jpg

20140927_180250_zps21490388.jpg

The plan is to have pull the plywood forward and the backrest will hinge down and there will be a 36" surface for the cushions. I will have supports on the side walls for the plywood and I am coming up with a support for the center. I will post more pics when I get that far...

For the sake of a picture, I put the cushions in the house to see how it looked and get a feel for functionality. I am VERY pleased with how it is turning out!

20140928_105156_zps4735df18.jpg

Great work on these couches, I am going to do this in my house. Any idea on where to get a decent price on the foam? How thick does one need to use to make it "comfy"?

Brian6715,

You will want 4" foam. There are different grades and densities of foam too. I went to A1 Foam in the cities and it wasn't cheap, but it is furniture grade foam.

Glockwinger, your old setup did have a table as part of the bunk. What are you going to do for a table or just not worry about one?

The Foam Factory is a good spot to get it online. Now add a window on each side of your couch so you can see tip ups and people around you. Nothing worse than the constant up and down.

Glockwinger, your old setup did have a table as part of the bunk. What are you going to do for a table or just not worry about one?

Yes, I had a table as part of the old setup. Did not use it for the past two years. I have a small folding table that we used that will fit perfectly in front of the couch. I just use office chairs on the other side to seat 4.

You'll find the couch is a lot more useful than that tiny booth ever was, and 4 times as comfortable.

Just sitting on it now is a huge improvement. I had to practice jigging to make sure the couch was the right distance from the hole. Success wink

OK, here are some pics of the bench with the hinges on it. I have screwed supports to the wall for the ends and am still working on the center support. It works well.

Here is the whole base pulled out for bed mode:

20140928_181704_zps15e878fa.jpg

Here it is pushed in for couch mode:

20140928_181739_zpsc8ba2d4f.jpg

Here are the doors open:

20140928_181806_zps442250b4.jpg

The new 12v converter came in the mail today, so I will start rewiring this week. I am also going to repurpose the corner closet in another part of the fish house for storage. More pictures to come...

Great work on these couches, I am going to do this in my house. Any idea on where to get a decent price on the foam? How thick does one need to use to make it "comfy"?

I ordered 5" "Premium Medium High Density" from Foam N More out of MI for our cushions. The 5" is nice but the foam is a little firmer than I would like. Great for sitting on but a little hard for sleeping. Good people to work with. I was able to order one of their mattress's and have them cut it to size. This worked out to be a little cheaper than just ordering custom sizes.

Created the cabinet for the new 12v converter last night and began rewiring the 12v side of the house. The converter is vented to the front, so I am not concerned about putting it in a small space. I cut a 2" hole for all the wires to pull through between the new compartment and where the wires came out of the wall from the factory.

20141001_195413_zps7426738b.jpg

20141001_204708_zps80050535.jpg

I am excited how this is all shaping up. Looking forward to ice this season to be sure!

great work, as somebody who's eventually going to get a perm shack, this is a cool thread to watch, love the couch idea! I always thought those small table areas seemed like wasted uncomfortable space. You should put 2 recessed cup holders in that middle couch area seat top, that way you can keep your beer safe while jigging, just pull the cushions towards the walls to expose the cup holders.

Joe, One better even, if you see my post I'm taking the leftover foam I have and putting it on each end of the bottom cushion with holes cut in for cans and a square cup for jigs and stuff this year. What could be better than a 5 inch thick can cooler!

Joe, One better even, if you see my post I'm taking the leftover foam I have and putting it on each end of the bottom cushion with holes cut in for cans and a square cup for jigs and stuff this year. What could be better than a 5 inch thick can cooler!

Genius! grin