• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ruff grouse reports 2014 season

laker1

So what is everyone's take on ATV road hunters coming up behind a couple guys and a dog on a trail and passing them only to cruse slowly along looking for grouse the two walkers could have flushed and shot?

The ATV people should of turned around. A lot of people have quit grouse hunting because of ATV owners being irresponsible.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• laker1

• birdguy

• brittman

• ZachD

Top Posters In This Topic

I hadn't hunted the Paul Bunyan forest for years and we were out there two weeks ago. The dirt bikers have a ton of legal trails that run everywhere. It stinks to be hunting and then here comes 3 guys on dirt bikes. It happened a lot and although it's their right I wish it wasn't. I won't go back there for sure.

I have shot a lot of grouse after being pasted by wheeler. It seemed the grouse heard them coming and flattened down or stood still, but as soon as the wheeler was getting out of noise range they would start moving. It seemed to be focused on the way the wheeler went. As moved I moved in for a shot. We as hunter need to stick together and stop fighting among our selves. If it is legal to ride a wheeler where you choose to grouse hunt than you should expect to see wheelers. There are more than enough trails where wheelers are not allowed.

I know someone will say some wheelers go where ever they want well if they are breaking the law call tip. Lets all get along and have an understanding for the other side. My cousin has a disability and is not able to walk, but he gets nasty comments from hunters who are walking for grouse. All because he riding a wheeler, well he can not walk.

I have no problems with 4 wheelers in the woods. However, there is absolutely ZERO excuse for a four wheeler to come down a trail where there is a truck already parked at the head of that trail!!!!

Being a walker with a dog I get in 4-5 trails a day, now I'm down to 3-4 with the days growing shorter. 4 wheelers can get to twice as many a day or more. Why would you go down a trail you know for sure there is a walker on it right now? That's what's most amazing to me about this situation.

It's called Hunter Etiquette or Common Sense or Being Courteous

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I can agree but you are not the owner of the Forest. Everyone can use it as they see fit. I have been bow hunting a trail I parked on and had a guy and his dog some marching down the trail. It works both ways man. Just remember people are rude and do not seem to care about each other anymore. I understand the need to vent about things. My cousin would never ride down a trail that had a truck parked there, but he has had many walk down a trail he was already down on his wheeler. The walker did not know he was down there, but the issue is when the walker starts in on my cousin for riding a wheeler. I area I hunt is mostly walking trails now, because the forest service blocks most of the old logging roads with piles of rocks, trees, and dirt. I am not complaining, because I am a walker most of the time. My cousin is limited on the trails he can ride on and then he get ripped apart by some Yuppy with their LL Bean Coat, Boots, 2000 dollar shotgun, and drive a fancy SUV. That is my vent. If we all get along have respect for each other this world will be a better place. Have a nice day and good luck finding a grouse.

A simple solution to the 4 wheeler problem (if you consider them a problem) is to either

A. Don't hunt the trails. Walk the woods.

B. Hunt WMAs where 4 wheelers are not allowed.

Every one has their own idea of what is enjoyable to them. Some see a successful hunt as bagging birds. Some see a successful hunt when the months of dog training come together for one perfect moment in the woods, downed bird or not. Others enjoy spending the day on a 4 wheeler, enjoying the day with friends and family. My tastes are not yours, and yours are probably not mine, but as long as respect and consideration are shown to all law abiding sportsman, I think everyone will have more of the days they deem successful.

MonsterMoose - I don't know why what a guy wears or drives has any bearing on what the man says. I wear filson hunting gear ( all gifts over the last 15 years), have an English setter and drive an SUV(have kids and they play hockey), Out in the woods I probably look like the guy you described. Just like you don't want someone prejudging you and your cousin as lazy or disrespectful just because you guys drive 4 wheelers, please don't do the same because of how a guy dresses or what he drives.

I kill birds walking trails after ATVs.

I kill more grouse on trails walking out than in.

Grouse that are active (moving) are easier found by dogs than those inactive, sleeping or in trees.

Grouse that have been pressured - RUN, RUN, RUN ....

Under the right conditions my dog will be locked on point on the trail and the grouse will flush from 5 - 10 yards in the woods.

My dogs learn to cover each side of the trail. I move off the trail if the dog goes on point or I miss and decide to follow.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone still out there? Hunted last week for a couple hours, moved one bird. Talked to some other guys that were in the same general area and they did much better.

Heading out tomorrow - I'll let you know what I find.

Hunted grouse today for 3 hours moved 6 birds. Working with a young dog (6 months) only one was pointed so I shot at that one and missed. Birds were jumpy today all came out of swamp edges.

full-18095-51957-2014_12_2109.50.50.png

Took the dog out for a walk yesterday morning. Got 2 grouse and a bonus rabbit. Also went this morning and got one more. Cool being out after a fresh snowfall