• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Otter Ice Shelters

Sam I am

Well....I know it's only August, but I noticed that the new Otter ice shelter are available for order now. Here's my story and my questions.

First: I'm sold on Otter. I bought an Otter XT650 Cabin last year and took 2 trips to Lake Winnipeg with it and several day trips out of Fargo. But, it's too small. I'm looking at either the XT1200 Lodge or Resort. I pull with sled, so the portability isn't a huge issue for me and I'd like to be able to fish with both my daughters when the rare need occurs. Leaning towards Resort.

Questions:

1) Is the upgrade to the 1200 over the 650 worth it?

2) Can the 3rd seat in the resort be easily removed for two man use or is it a PITA?

3) Does the sportsman's caddy work well with the Resort or is it primarily designed for the Lodge and it's cross piece?

4) I see the weight and dimensions in the specs and there is a good thread on this forum that talks about the Otter Lodge vs Resort, but it's two years old...is that feedback still valid? Sounds like a lodge will fit in a short box with a tonneau cover over the top, but the Resort will not.

5) Weight wise, I'm not worried as I rarely fish alone, but after a day on the ice, and the propane heater running all day (CO2 and H2O are the bi products) how much water does the quilting in the 1200 absorb? Is it a BEAR to get back on the trailer or in the truck? Sorry about geeking out with the chemistry....but that's a lot of water: 3CH8 + 5O2 > 3CO2 + 4H2O.

Thanks for any insight...and answers.

I'll do my best to answer your questions and hopefully give you some sound advice.

1, In short yes, insulated portables perform better in the cold. Last season my customers saw many, many days at -30 and a few -40 just for fun. No one was ever cold unless the propane froze up.

2, The third seat removal is as simple as lifting it up and putting it in the tub or wherever for storage.

3, The caddy can be used in the Resort for storage but performs better in in the other models with cross brace.

4, Yes, that feedback is good.

5, None, They have vents to let moisture out, keep them open when its cold. The only time I had icing was due to the slush soaking up from the bottom after sitting in water for days on end. (Red has a lot of slush last season, unfortunately the fish seemed to like it)

The resort will have a bench seat or 3 swivel seats that will mount from front to back so the Sportsmans Caddy wont mount on the rails like in the Lodge. I love my sportsmans caddy and my thermal Otter. Save money on propane and no wind slapping of the tent.

1.) Yes I have the XT1200 Resort and a buddy has an un-insulated 650 Lodge. Mine was well worth the extra money in size and ability to heat.

2.) The swivel seats take 10 seconds to install and remove. I typically only use 2 seats.

3.) Don't use one, I have a clam folding table that gets setup between the seats.

4.) No dice on the Resort, its huge.

5.)I would say I get more snow/ice buildup from pulling and snow/ice getting stuck to the skirt than the moisture absorbed. I would be willing to bet the frost build up on un-insulated houses is more than insulated. I had no issues with frost or moisture last season.

All in all loading sucks, but if you pull onto the trailer then into the box of the truck its manageable with 1 man.

All my fishing is 10-40 miles on LOW using a fan cooled sled and this thing has held up quite well. I am an advocate of Otter.

Great feedback guys, thanks. I'm definitely going with the Otter 1200, but haven't settled on lodge or resort. Leaning toward the lodge...but only because of the sportsman's caddy, which might be a really poor deciding factor. I could probably fab up my own box pretty easy...or build my own cross piece some how for the sportsman's caddy to fit on. From my trips on Lake Winnipeg last year, space is a premium, buy as much as you can afford and have the ability to haul. I only need to get it on my trailer.... Hmmmmm...maybe the Resort now...oh well, at least I have time to puzzle it out!

Thanks again, guys!

Good Info guys!

I will be getting a new portable this fall also and i really like the XT1200

Like SamIam i am not sure on the resort or lodge

Thanks!

make sure they have fixed their canvas problems from last year before you spend your hard earned money. just google or use the search feature here and you can see the pin hole or thermals to tight from last season problems

If you are really leaning towards the Lodge because of the caddy, I challenge that the Resort would have much more storage even without the caddy. I have a simple plywood cut out that runs the width of the sled and located towards the rear. It divides my Vexilar bucket, 20lb propane tank, and minnow bucket from chairs rods and etc in the front of the sled. (Resort will fit three 5 gallon buckets across it's width)

The more I think about it the more likely I am to go with the resort. Buy as much as you can afford, right? Space is a premium worth paying for...I think.

I have not heard of anything new. There has been some discussion on other forums about Otter possibly selling just the XT1200 tent/poles separate rather than having to buy the whole sled package.

I have been an Otter customer since the first year they released the original Otter sled. Have owned several of the original sleds and frame/skins as well as a couple Otter II sleds/houses.

That said I am VERY dissapointed in the frames, brackets and skins on the current Otters. I see VERY little difference between them and clam now. The brackets are complete junk! But guess things like that happen when a company is sold to a mega conglomorate more concerned with maximum profit than continuing to build the best product possible.

Myself I will be having canvas craft build a frame and insulated skin for the new Otter II sled I have been hanging onto. They still have quality locally built product.

The nice thing about a forum like this is that everyone can cast there opinion. I have owned four different otter fishhouses and I would have to say that the current otters are the best retail fishhouse out there in my opinion. Again only my opinion. I'm not sure what experiences castmaster has had but you won't find a much sturdierbuilt frame and canvas than otter. Canvascraft has long been a quality canvas but they still use the old conduit style round poles. Otter eliminated the binding problems with there current pole system. Castmaster please expound on your issues. I bought an otter to handle the abuse of long snowmobile trips on LOW and Lake Winnipeg. Would not take another shelter in those conditions. The brackets, frame, canvas, and tub(same as canvascraft) are all around tough on the otters. You will find the same opinions on several other forums. Are you sure you are talking about Otter?

Not sure where you came to the belief Otter sold out. Still owned by the same people. I to have a new last season Otter and it blows all others off the ice with quality and durability.

The old style brackets had the poles "sandwhiched" in a U shaped bracket. The new style is a flimsier one sided bracket that isnt near as sturdy, especially in the wind.

The skins from last year had numerous problems. As someone else mentioned on that, do a search as thats a horse thats been well beat.

Esox

I thought Otter was bought by the same holding company as Strikemaster. Includes Rapala, VMC, Strorm etc. That the original owners are still involved but thats its no longer a stand alone company they have control of. If I am wrong on that I apologize but its what I was told by a couple different veendors last season.

Looking at just the readily available name brandes Otter is ahead but not by much. I see VERY little difference these days in the Otter and Clam skins, and not a lot of difference in frames. Otters sled is still better, but not as far ahead as they had been for years.

And I will admit I am the kind of guy who doesnt like change unless it is truly an improveement. I do not like the current sleds compared to the older Otter II sleds. I do not like the current frame system as compared to the older style brackets with the square tubing. I was not impressed with the skins in the Otter houses I fished out of last season.

Just my opinion as a 20 year customer.

My otter lodge will outstand the CanvasCraft poles in any winds. I'm not sure where you can come up with the fact that the CanvasCraft is a superior product when you don't even own one. I'll agree the canvas is nice but will not agree that their pole system is better. Otter had some issues with some tight canvases and some inside materials on the thermal top only houses. Customer service took care of those issues and I'm sure they are addressed in any of the new houses coming out. Those types of issues should not happen I agree. I have an otter XT900 Otter Lodge and wished I would've bought two so I can use the second one in another 15 years when my original one wears out.

Otter is still owned by the same people they have always been. The pole system and canvas are second to none! I have owned every type shelter and have been using otters only for the past many years. Since back when they had round poles and the black then green and purple canvas. the new thermal Otters are the best built houses out there bar none. Compare apples to apples and you will see why their motto is Tougher, stronger, smarter.

The joining of the Rapala/Ice Force team did nothing but help with distribution. Come talk to me either in St. pauls ice show or blaine and I will gladly show you why Im a Otter guy from now on out.

I have a clam also in no way shape or form would an Otter fall anywhere close to that level. Like com airing a Ferrari to a Yugo.

Gotta love brand loyalty. LOL grin

Ferrari to Yugo? Slight exaggeration. smile

Otter makes a great house, love their poles and tub, (probably the best out there) but you simply cannot ignore the canvas fit issues they had.

I called a few times, emailed a few times. Never did get a resolution on mine. Since I got it at a promo price I chalked it up and moved on.

Clam and Frabill have certainly closed the gap but they all have their own issues too.

No brand loyalty just my observations from personal experience. I could have bought a clam last season at pro staff price but chose to buy an Otter from my local bait shop. My clam has light use and falling apart after 2 seasons it is always in the garage or under the topper when not in use. Otter lives on the trailer outside all winter behind the quad and still looks and functions like new

Clam has stepped up their game and now has the X2 Pro Thermal which is a 1800 Denier fabric where as Otter is still using the 1200 Denier fabric. Also Clam has redesigned their sled to give a little more space in the sled. I'm not looking to start a brand war but they are now getting closer in comparison when you compare say a Otter Lodge and the X2 Pro Thermal. the biggest benefit of the 1800 denier fabric is that it will be better for people that like to sight fish as it will let in less light and retain the heat even better too.

Dtro,

It is funny isnt it. Ya would think someone told them their baby was ugly!

Gonehunting,

I can make that comparison based on the houses I fished from last season alone. Do you fish from no other shelter but the one you own? I took 3 trips to Devils Lake last winter, fishing from a brand new Otter Lodge full thermal for a 4 day trip, a Canvas Craft "lodge" with their full thermal on a newer Otter Pro sled for a 5 day trip and my Otter Lodge uninsulated with the original style brackets and square tube frame. Those trips are a true test of how a shelter hsndles the wind. It wasnt even close comparing the Canvas Craft and Otters, especially my buddys new one.

Gee Im guessing Esox owns neither a Ferrai nor a Yugo, so how could he possibly make such aa comparison :-)

Northlander

As i said, I have been an Otter customer for 20 years. Bought an original sled the first year they were introduced. A friend built there booth for use at shows back then. Canvas Craft made the original black skins you mentioned, they were the original "Otterskin" frane and canvas. The first Otter built/sold frame skin were the first purple ones. Their major design improvement over the fishtrap of the day was the zippered door on the front wall that allowed you to go in and out without flipping the houe open. And the sleds were liggt years ahead at that time. That had to have been like 1996ish. The Otter II sleds were a big improvement on the originals, and came out aroubd 2000-2001?

Was al lset to buy a new insulated Lodge last year and just couldnt pull the trigger after fishing out of them. Made the decsion to go with a cc insulated skin on the new Otter II sled I have a pretty easy one for me.

And Otter customer service has been topnotch the handful of times Ive had need to deal with them over the years. In fact they even used one of my "mods" on the factory skins. Back in the late 90s I had a window "break" in my lodge and sent it in for repair. I asked them to sew a pocket on the frobt using the same clear vinyl to use as a sleeve for holding my placard with info and shelter license. At that tine everyone either used safety pins or duct tape to attach thhem to their skins.

We all like different things. Why they make annd sell more than one

I emailed Otter and asked if they had addressed and taken action on fixing the canvas issues from last year. I will post the response when and if I get one.

One other thing to note in how a Canvas Craft frame/skin hold up to wind compared to Otter frame/skin...the CChouse comes with double the support poles. With my Otters I have always had to buy an extra set.

And the insulation is no comparison between them. The Norpac insulation in the CC houses is superior to the quilted onsulation in the Otters. BUT there is also weight difference in them ad well with the CC skin being heavier. The white canvas interior also makes it a breeze to kerp well lit with led's if/when one wants more light.

Simply another option to consider which still uses the Otter sled.

Ok, you're right. Don't call my baby ugly. We will have to just agree to disagree on this. Otter uses less support poles because they require less support poles. Square versus round. Larger versus smaller. Enjoy your new CC. I'm sure it will be a very nice shelter.