• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Generators

FHFO

I need a generator, I know I want either a Honda or Yamaha. 2000 watt. I've been pricing since last Feb. best I see is $900.00. That's from generator depot. Any place else to look ? Price?

I was just at the Burnsville Costco this weekend, and they had a 2000W Smarter Tools generator for $599. It has a Yamaha engine in it. I don't own one myself, so this isn't a recommendation - just thought it was worth mentioning if you're looking to spend a little less.

A friend of mine purchased the Smarter Tools at Costco. Used it last ice season and had no problems. I would say that it is as quiet as a Honda and starts easily.

Fleet usually sells them for $950 with a $50 gift card about every 3 months. If you can justify buying a cheapie, and Honda makes noisy engines for the cheapies, go ahead and buy it. Just don't look for help from your neighbors if you need it, they'll hate you till they move. Buy Honda or Yamaha name brand.

I second Hawg. Its not typically the engines anyhow, if there is a problem its in the electronics and you really get what you pay for in generators. Beisswenger's and Northern Tool have a bit of a price war out at the state fair if you check them out during the second half of the fair you will probably find your best price on an Eu2000.

Pass on the Honda. I have had a 2000 for three years and if it gets much below 30 degrees out that thing isn't starting. Have to bring it inside where it is warmer and leave it sit for a least a half hour then it will start. Have had it into the Honda place several times for weeks at a time. Supposedly fixed each time but I'll pick it up from the dealer, leave it set outside overnight in the cold and won't start the next morning. Not much use in the winter for my fish house.

Retired_on_Osakis do you have the breather heater kit installed? When running in cold weather they (and all other suitcase generators) tend to build a lot of moisture in the intake and when you go to restart them they will not want to cooperate with you.

Luke_M the answer is I don't know. What do I look for to be able to tell if it's in there?

After doing a little research I don't think this would be the problem. The kits seem to be for when the generator is run for extensive periods of time in extremely cold weather. This causes the breather line to freeze up due to condensation.

I'm just going to put this out there, I've always been a huge fan of honda generators. I have a eu1000i and it's been good my second choice would be a yamaha. This summer I bought a Ice Cabin with a roof mounted AC and needed a bigger gen. I looked at buying a honda 2000 but wasn't sure from what I read if it was going to run the AC or not. I looked for an alternative and found a Champion 3100 inverter style and after reading over 300 (almost everyone positive) reviews I bought one. It's not as light as a 2000 and a bit louder but it's still a very quiet generator and for ice fishing you would only need ECO mode and that very quiet. but it also can be found for around 700.00-750.00 free shipping. Started first pull right out of the box and always a good starter and runner and has a copy yamaha motor too. It would work great if you just left it in the back of the truck because it's close to 90lbs with gas, if just lifting it in and out once a weekend it's not a big deal, I do it by myself. I would say if your ice house has a roof AC and you camp with it take a look at one. Also it should power everything in your home if you get a power outage. I will keep my 1000 for strictly ice fishing, I was going to sell it after buying the 3100 but it's so darn good on gas it will almost pay for its self considering what I would get for it used.

Champion also makes 2000 and if it's as good as the 3100 I wouldn't be scared to own one.

It would look like a little heater probe in the breather vent tube. The moisture build up is cumulative if the generator is not brought into a warm place to thaw and while not 100%, they are still carburated engines it does seem to increase reliability in cold weather. As far as other brands I personaly wouldnt go with anything other than Honda or Yamaha. I have done testing on other "import" brands and the failure rate in the first few hundred hrs can be as high as 25%. Just look at it like outboards, what brands would you trust.

They are Japanese companys but you would be suprized at how many of the components are american made and they both invest in a very large and well trained service network instead of relying on third party outsourced support.

I completely agree that you can't go wrong with a Honda of Yamaha. For me to get the size to run the AC it was over $2000.00 for the honda so I rolled the dice and so far so good.

One thing that some people will over look is running good non oxygen fuel and running Stabil in the gas if your not burning it up right away. I think a guy that runs non oxygen fuel and Stabil in a cheap generator will have better luck then a guy leaving old ethanol in a honda or yamaha. One thing I like about my Chamipon is that it has a gas shutoff so I can run the carb dry when I'm done using it. Since a generator uses a governor to regulate its speed, a varnished up main jet screws with them more then a typical motor making them surge up and down in rpm.

Pass on the Honda. I have had a 2000 for three years and if it gets much below 30 degrees out that thing isn't starting. Have to bring it inside where it is warmer and leave it sit for a least a half hour then it will start. Have had it into the Honda place several times for weeks at a time. Supposedly fixed each time but I'll pick it up from the dealer, leave it set outside overnight in the cold and won't start the next morning. Not much use in the winter for my fish house.

Something is not right with that. That thing should start in -20 with a half dozen to a dozen pulls.

I would get the carb checked out. If the problem still persists I'm sure a shot of ether would pop her off on the first pull.

My buddy had an issue with his 2000 last year when it was -17 out. He brought it in and they said the oil had air bubbles in it. They told him to run it with a blanket over it when it gets that cold. And if your not running it to bring it into the house. They also switched his oil to synthetic Amsoil. Not sure what to think about running it under a blanket.

Is there 2 different styles of Honda 2000? I think I have seen 2 different prices….side by side….

I have never looked into anyone have a quick answer?

Thanks

There is also an eb2000 that uses the mini gx engine but other than that they are basicly the same as an eu2000

JSK, Just for info-I had a 1000 watt Honda that I bought when they first came out who knows how many years ago. I don't think they even called them inverters then. I put it on C List for $550 and sold it in 2 days for $525, Even I was amazed. I do miss how light it was, if it wasn't for heating elements I would never have gone to the 2000.

Wow that's crazy! I actually found a place few years back that was liquidating them and I paid 525.00 new.

As long as you don't plan on running a electric heater, toaster, pizza cooker or a bigger coffee maker the 1000 is great little generator. I did just find a 900 watt full size coffee pot last week that it runs just fine. I did a test a few months back and I can run every light, heater, tv, DVD and battery charger and still have if I remember right 2 amps to spare. That not running the coffee pot of coarse.

I paid less than $300 when I bought it. They go high and fast on the auction sites but you got a great deal anyway. I agree, if you don't need a coffee pot or deep fryer why carry around the extra weight of the 2000? 1000 just purrs on forever.

Honda is the only one to consider. Milaca Unclaimed Freight has the best everyday price. Northern and Beisswenger's run some good deals at the State Fair.

Good to go thanks for all the help. Going with Honda 2000, from electric depot $899.00 no tax free shipping. Coffee maker will be on at my Castle.