• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Vikings 2014

SkunkedAgain

I haven't seen the usual thread this season, where delusional Vikings fans talk about the playoffs and finishing first in the division. So let's hear it. How are the purple and gold going to do this year?

Personally, I think that they will improve somewhat if what I expect to happen comes true. Cassel is the full-year starter finally providing some stability to the offense - nothing explosive - but stable. This gives Bridgewater a year to learn and adapt to the game, something Ponder didn't get much of unfortunately. AP has a typical good year, nothing great but 1,200-1,500 yards. The WRs and TEs finally start to prosper with QB continuity. The defense struggles again but finds some youthful hope for the future. There are too many holes to fill in one season. I still see them improving from last to third or maybe second place with an 8-8 or 9-7 record, but I think all of the other teams in the North still have more pieces in place for success. The difference will likely be between who has more instant success in their first year as head coach - Zimmer or Jim Caldwell.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PurpleFloyd

• CaptainMusky

• FISHINGURU

• RumRiverRat

I am in line with your thinking, although I think 8-8 is their ceiling, with more then likely a 6-10, to 8-8 the final. We have some star power, and big play makers, but they need time to get used to the new system. I see our secondary, and our dline, and line backers being the weak points again this season. With a few key additions, next year they will be competing for the division title. The team will be fun to watch, with a few big plays every game, but they just wont be good enough to finish on top with the better teams. I see them in 3rd this season, behind the Packers, and Lions. Da Bears will take a few steps backwards this year, and be the bottom dwellers.

This season will be much more fun to watch, if you are a realistic fan, and you are not expecting greatness yet this year. Enjoy the improvements they made, dont be a koolaid drinker, and the team should be fun to watch.

Can't argue with anything Skunked said. I see improvement but not likely a playoff spot. There were just too many holes to fill in one off season to see a huge turnaround and some of the holes were filled by rookies who need time to develop. Given that I just don't see anything more than 8-8 unless teams within the division start seeing some major injuries at a few key spots, then maybe we scrounge up another win or two and sneak into a first round playoff loss.

Just wait until next year though, 19-0 and a Super Bowl! grin

I agree. I think (hope) they bottomed out last year and start to improve this year. They won't be a playoff team but I hope they will be better coached and more fun to watch. There are too many questions going into this year to give a sane person any confidence for playoffs in 2014. How will the new coaches do? Who's going to be the QB? Will the young guys step up? Good thing about the NFL is you can turn things around quickly. Hopefully we are a year or 2 away from contending for a playoff spot or more again.

But but but the only problem the Vikings had was Ponder. We plug in Cassel they should be better right out of the gate no?

I always laughed at the Ponder haters. The team had considerably more glaring issue than him.

They will have lots of fresh faces on D this year so that could be good OR bad.

I have a feeling though the D will be dramatically more improved. I like the principles of Zimmer's defensive schemes where the front thinks less about sacks because I think this could potentially help out the back end. Hopefully anyway!

Projection for the season, I think they will be around .500. They could have easily finished 9-7 and won the division last year if they didnt collapse in games at the end. 3 losses and one tie. Thats the sad part. As bad as they were at times they were right there.

The D had to play better or it wont matter who is QB or running the offense they will be lucky to win 6 games.

SUPERBOWL HOMEBOY! EVERYONE GET ON THE BANDWAGON NOW WHILE THERE IS STILL ROOM!

WE'RE COMING! WE'RE COMING!

NOTHING IS GONNA STOP US NOW!

WOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO!

I'M GOING OUT TO GET MY SPOT ALONG THE PARADE ROUTE RIGHT NOW!!!!!

PA is that you?
If only he had incorporated "Pithy" in that post then we knew it would be him. LOL

I agree with much of what was said. A lot is going to depend on the year AP has. If he's a beast again they could win more than 8 but that's not too likely. I don't believe last year was all on Ponder. Coaching and the front office really horked it all up. This year should be a better year. I'm interested to see the coaching staff and young players.

Plus it's football season, who doesn't love that?

I heard something today and if its true I would be completely [PoorWordUsage] if I was Zimmer. Apparently Spielmen posed a "quiz" of sorts to Zimmer citing various "in game" scenarios to see how Zimmer would respond to them and what decisions he would make. I have to hope there is more to this story because at face value whether this is his first gig as a head coach or not, i would be completely PO'd!!!!

i went to training camp saturday. new coaches, new players and new system..it was that obvious..route running, defensive positioning looked a bit ragged. kicking game was the best unit on the field.

good to see zimm out there actually working with the players vs les just standing there with his arms folded...cassel is #1 qb starting season based on what i saw...hoping for 8-8.

they had barr all over on d..he is the one rogers and company will need to keep an eye on..he's a beast.....

There were lots of holes to fill for sure, mostly on the defensive side. They have done a good job of upgrading IMO with fatboy Joseph in the middle and "the captain" to help the secondary. It remains to be seen if Barr is any good. LB's are still the weak spot on D.

Offense should be good with Norv Turner running the show and ANYONE but Ponder and his limp wrist under center.

The coaching staff was the BIGGEST upgrade they made IMO. Its a players league, but this coaching staff will be a HUGE improvement. Theres no doubt in my mind.

I think they could go 10-6 if everything goes right, but the schedule is ridiculously hard for a last place team. Ill say 8-8

11-5, second in division, wild card spot. Bridgwater takes the helm in week 3 or 4! One and done in playoffs! Giddy up!

I heard something today and if its true I would be completely [PoorWordUsage] if I was Zimmer. Apparently Spielmen posed a "quiz" of sorts to Zimmer citing various "in game" scenarios to see how Zimmer would respond to them and what decisions he would make. I have to hope there is more to this story because at face value whether this is his first gig as a head coach or not, i would be completely PO'd!!!!

When did this supposedly take place? Sounds like job interview questions to me. If he did it during the interview process that would make sense to me. I've answered similar type questions when interviewing for jobs. Of course the employer is going to want to see how you'd handle some hypothetical situations.

Now if it happened yesterday or during camp then its a little different.

I heard it was part of his interview. I see no problem with that, to make sure the coaches ideas are on par with yours.

I heard it was part of his interview. I see no problem with that, to make sure the coaches ideas are on par with yours.

Not part of the interview. KFAN has been talking about it. Zimmer came out and talked about it.

If it wasn't part of his interview and happened recently then I'd agree its a little weird. What would the point be? You've already hired the guy so presumably you've already gone over in game decision making and overall strategy concepts during the interview process.

I haven't heard anything about it so I guess its hard to comment too much not knowing the context in which it took place. But on the surface its a bit odd.

I seen the video where they were talking about what they did, its posted on the Vikings site but I forgot who was doing the interview it was either Spielman or one of the coaches. How I understood it was Spielman just came up with 6-7 goal line situations for them to practice. I remember thinking to myself why is Spielman doing that but it's possible they all sat down and made them together.It was probably situations we wet the bed in last year.

My prediction is the Vikes will be scraping for a Wildcard spot this season, from there anything can happen, every season there is some teams that come from no where and I believe we have enough to be that kind of team.

Either way it's gonna be nice to see a real Offense and Defense. I was going to make a thread with football terms most Vikings fans probably never heard of so they aren't confused this season. Things like Blitz, man to man, double team, 4 wide single back, proform, counter, sweep, ect.

I'd like to see the squad play thru their 1st 3 pre-season games before I make a prediction.

Does Teddy start game #1 or does Cassel???

Injuries....yes or no?

LB'ers figured out yet...not yet, I know that for sure.

I'd like to see Teddy start game one...have no idea if he's ready for it but would love to see him get thrown in the fire. Ultimately, I think Cassel will be the day one starter.

In three weeks we'll all know a lot more than what we do know...I think Zimmer will bring a whole new attitude to this team and how they play.

Lot's of questions to be answered in the next month....

Can't wait to see What Jerrick Mckinnion does. Sounds like a young Ray Rice or Doug Martin.whoop whoop let em pin there ears back and go.

Tonight's your chance guys. Not too many people get to say they saw the very first time a hall of fame QB took their first snap in the NFL!

Tonight's your chance guys. Not too many people get to say they saw the very first time a hall of fame QB took their first snap in the NFL!

First snaps? Ponder has been in the league since 2011! wink

I think Zimmer will bring a whole new attitude to this team and how they play.

No doubt. In his most recent presser, he was asked how long will the defense and offense play respectively? His answer, in no uncertain terms, was that "I told them be prepared to play the whole game if I feel like it." Now granted, that won't happen, but you have to love the "do it right or keep doing it UNTIL it's right" attitude that he has.

I can only assume that the question was about the 1st string offense/defense. It's kind of a ridiculous statement by Zimmer though. Yes it's a nice sound clip, but he and the team knows that the preseason games are mostly about the 2nd and 3rd string players. Even if he does keep the 1st string on the field longer, they will then be playing against the other team's backups and so getting it right doesn't actually prove or teach anything. All it does is reduce the amount of time the coaching staff has to make decisions about who will make the 53-man roster.

So I really hope that Zimmer was doing this all for show, because otherwise he's an over-the-hill meathead.

Yes, he was referring to the 1s, but I don't think it's a ridiculous statement at all. It's part of the culture change from the "do the best you can" attitude Frasier had to the "your best better be more than that" Zimmer era. He demands effort, and his biggest strength, no matter where he's coached, has been getting the most out of what he has to work with. Granted, pre-season is mostly about bubble players and sifting out the chaff, but unless you're name is AP, I really think there is much more of an open competition this year than ever before. He has constantly rotated guys into first reps that wouldn't have had a shot under Frazier and he wants to see if they can elevate their game or if they'll sink below the cut line. I am 100% in favor of this approach. He's already said this first game is more about judging athleticism and effort versus scheme and assignments. In other words, they could run out the Raiders cheerleaders against our 1s and we could still get a sense of who is working harder than the next guy...

Anyone see Cook with the INT last night? dam he would look good in purple!? LOL

Why is it that all of our guys, regardless of sport, leave here and then explode into a superstar? The Abyss!