• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

"Touchdown Teddy" Bridgwater

klecker

The 3rd QB is easily hidden away on the practice squad...usually an UDFA with upside.

That rules out Ponder.

grin

I'm fairly certain he's not eligible to be placed on the practice squad anyway.

I don't believe Ponder was/is as bad as most believe him to be. Chillypepper's offense was horrible and Frazier was a lapdog for the hire ups. No one knew how to bring up a QB. I think with the right person coaching Ponder could be a serviceable QB. Look at the Offensive line the last couple of years. They couldn't make a pocket if you gave them a needle and thread. Hard to pass when you're on your back.

I don't think Ponder should be on this team, but he wasn't the biggest issue either.

Its not Ponders athletic ability, its his head. And like Sandmann says, a lot of good QBs out there its all about environment. Ponder had a terrible environment to flourish. It was like surviving on an island with nothing to eat but snails. Sure you'll probably survive but what kind of existence is that. Pretty comparable to having an 80:20 run to pass ratio.

I think calling ponder a cancer is a bit of a stretch. I believe he will be on the roster who else would be there? Not saying he is going to lead this team to the promised land but he is certainly not someone who destroys a locker room like others.

A first round bust is just that...a bust. Move on and be done with it. It happens....

When you pick another 1st rounder to play the same position...just a few years later...you really know it was a bust.

A "divorce" just happened between Ponder and the Vikes...I don't know of many who would welcome their "ex" back in to their home to live with them if they had already re-married.

Inviting Ponder back in to the mix with a roster spot would the same thing...it just doesn't happen.

Here he is in his last game vs. Miami. Miami's defense isn't the Miami of old but he took them apart. For the most part I like what I see although it didn't start off the best grin I would like to see him look off his first option more - I hope they can fix that. If you watch his stuff from 2012 there he made a lot of improvement on looking off the 1st guy in 2013. He is comfortable in the pocket and has a good quick release. He's got a better chance of making it in the NFL than the last 2 drafted QBs had. I'm not chugging, but I am starting to sip the kool-aid

I don't believe Ponder was/is as bad as most believe him to be. Chillypepper's offense was horrible and Frazier was a lapdog for the hire ups. No one knew how to bring up a QB. I think with the right person coaching Ponder could be a serviceable QB. Look at the Offensive line the last couple of years. They couldn't make a pocket if you gave them a needle and thread. Hard to pass when you're on your back.

I don't think Ponder should be on this team, but he wasn't the biggest issue either.

Did you just mention, say he played under Childress AKA chillypepper? Unreal and thanks for the info. Thanls for the proof. Dude really? Chilly drafted him, and or he played under him? Yup......you fail!!!!!! Thanks for the proof, BTW!

Here he is in his last game vs. Miami. Miami's defense isn't the Miami of old but he took them apart. For the most part I like what I see although it didn't start off the best grin I would like to see him look off his first option more - I hope they can fix that. If you watch his stuff from 2012 there he made a lot of improvement on looking off the 1st guy in 2013. He is comfortable in the pocket and has a good quick release. He's got a better chance of making it in the NFL than the last 2 drafted QBs had. I'm not chugging, but I am starting to sip the kool-aid

">

He accidentally put on Michaels glove during the 1st quarter, after that he found his glove and the rest is history!!

• 2 weeks later...

It really shouldn't be that tough to beat out a Journeyman QB if you got skills and put in the work. I hear Teddy is beating out Cassel in most of the skill drills so far.

I want him to do well, but I dont want to see it thrown into the starting job if he isnt ready. We have a guy who can play so barring injury there is no need to rush him. Now if he beats out Cassel then I am all for it.

There were comments made that Cassel was clearly superior at mini camp. Then training camp came along, he was showing confidence and leading the offense (FWIW in training camp) and then saw Bridgewater make some plays and apparently has taken a step back.

Thats not a good sign. I want all guys competing for the job at their highest level.

• 3 months later...

">

So let me ask this roadtoarumriverreject. Is that the reason why minnesota is 3-5 ? . And why bridgewater is running for his life. Its obvious hes not an Elite QB , keep in mind he is a rookie .. it was a losing season before the opening snap this year

if it wasnt bridgewater.. you probally come up with the casselofadoomedseason. Or some other biast Idiom

Qbs that are consistently running for their life dont have much of a chance for great success. Any remember favres stats that last season here?

Bridgewater has work to do for sure. Deep passes need more accuracy but at least is he overthrowing not under throwing. At least you can work with touch. You can't create arm strength.

The guy is a gamer. Came from behind two weeks in a row that says a lot. He seems to excel when up against the clock. We haven't had that since Favre. Give him back some of the lost weapons and an effective o line and we are talking about a first place team.

I don't think he even over threw Patterson, Patterson lost it in the sun.

That sucks, it was an easy TD.

Bridgewater with another W.

I don't think he even over threw Patterson, Patterson lost it in the sun.

That sucks, it was an easy TD.

Bridgewater with another W.

What about the Jennings ball on the first play?? Had a couple other 15-20 yarders that sailed on him and a couple more that looked like wounded ducks. He should have never put that much air under the Patterson ball either. Tjack could throw the deep ball better than Teddy. It was the checkdown where he had trouble. And sure he is really getting pressured on some plays, but there are others where he has more than ample time.

Although he did over throw jennings .. , Patterson " lost it in the sun" ( still looked uncatchable ) being constantly flushed from both sides of the pocket isnt helping him none .. also he seemed to play better when playing from behind it appeared that after he rolled out and ran for a couple downs .. washingtons defense stopped blitzing buying him more time to see the recievers , is possible norv dont trust him to change plays at line. Hence why he' s in the booth ?

What about the Jennings ball on the first play??

What about it? You want him to hit every pass? He's a rookie, sounds like you expect him to be a polished 5th year franchise QB his first games as starter with a horrible pass protecting O-line.

It's obvious he has some accuracy issues but he keeps his cool under pressure and doesn't turn it over. Junkson was a handful of yrs in and still looked like a deer in the headlights. I still don't see that comparison other then they are both black QB's. Teddy was doing things in his first start Junkson wasn't doing after yrs of starts.

Just a couple trolls angry the Vikes won. No more, no less. Bridgewater is improving a little every game, so is the defense. They are a team on the rise right now.

It's pretty obvious Teddy has some skills. It's also pretty obvious he's a rookie and needs to do some work in the off season with his receivers.

It's also obvious the O line needs work.

Cripes, he's a rook. Yous guys really expect a 5th year gem from a rook?????

2 years. Give the new staff and rookie QB 2 years to develop the program. After 2 years if they suck, give em heck. In the mean time you have to let a corn stalk grow. Even Buck, the worlds greatest farmer knows that much.

What about it? You want him to hit every pass? He's a rookie, sounds like you expect him to be a polished 5th year franchise QB his first games as starter with a horrible pass protecting O-line.

It's obvious he has some accuracy issues but he keeps his cool under pressure and doesn't turn it over. Junkson was a handful of yrs in and still looked like a deer in the headlights. I still don't see that comparison other then they are both black QB's. Teddy was doing things in his first start Junkson wasn't doing after yrs of starts.

This^. I cant believe just how bad this o-line is. Im not sure what they will do with Kalil after this season but it is not working. Announcers were calling him out again today.

The first play from scrimmage was one if you are going to miss, you miss that one long. The one to Patterson when he is that wide open needs a lot of air and can be slightly underthrown. In the second half though his passes were much more on target. Maybe it took him a while to get a feel for things. The offensive line played much better in the second half as well.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/11/2/71...relle-patterson

What do you guys think?

Couple things here, he pulled up early and grabbed his helmet, you'd think if he seen it the whole time he would of continued to run full speed or even try to dive to make a play.

Another thing is you'll see once he gets past the CB he lets up and trots before hitting the gas again. If he would of ran full speed the whole time it would of been right on the money.

I don't know if it's on Teddy, Patterson, the sun, the wind, ect, I just know it sucked lol.

I know it's easy to point at Teddy and say he blew that long ball to CP84, but that was 90/10 IMO... 90 Patterson, 10 Teddy. Why was Patterson covering his head? Shielding it from the devastating blow of the ball? Lol. It seems to me he didn't run that route all the way out and that was the primary problem with that miss. The sun was obviously a factor, too.

Teddy got better throughout the game, I thought, and I think he is growing quite nicely as a rookie. I am very impressed, in fact. I have to question the football IQ of anyone who is dogging him right now after 5 starts (where he is 1 defensive play away from being 4-1 as a starter, by the way...). For every Andrew Luck there are 10 Teddy's and 200 Christian Ponders... In other words, good QBs take time, bad ones are a dime a dozen, and elite ones are few and very far between. I think we should be happy he is in the "10" group and let him grow as all rookies need to.

For every Andrew Luck there are 10 Teddy's and 200 Christian Ponders... In other words, good QBs take time, bad ones are a dime a dozen, and elite ones are few and very far between. I think we should be happy he is in the "10" group and let him grow as all rookies need to.

What makes you think he belongs in the "10" group already? Look at Ponder's stats from his first 5 starts, I don't think they are that much different.

What makes you think he belongs in the "10" group already? Look at Ponder's stats from his first 5 starts, I don't think they are that much different.

Fair enough, he doesn't deserve to be in the "good" category yet and I was premature in saying so. That said, he's shown intangibles in five starts that Ponder hasn't shown in 3 seasons. Poise, a willingness to stay in the pocket, and making multiple reads. I think Ray Charles could see his ceiling is higher than Ponders.

Ponder did have something that Teddy doesn't have, but he's currently on the Commissioner's exempt list... That can't be overstated when looking at any of Ponder's "success."