• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

"Touchdown Teddy" Bridgwater

klecker

All the reports coming out of Vikingland seem to be pretty positive about Teddy in the limited time he's had with the team.

Seems his game-tape was "spot on" according to those who have watched some of the practices.

Have to feel at least a little bit optimistic from the news coming from reporters, observers, and coaches/players.

Time will tell....

Everything was positive coming out about Ponder, Jackson and McNabb as well so this is all taken with a grain of salt. I am just glad we are out of the Chilly Ball offense.

Everything was positive coming out about Ponder, Jackson and McNabb as well so this is all taken with a grain of salt. I am just glad we are out of the Chilly Ball offense.

Spot on. I just can't get into the hype of mini camps. Until he has a couple of seasons behind him no one knows. With the last few QB's here, I'll believe it when I see it.

I dunno if you can honestly make those comparisons if you've looked at the footage of him at camp so far. He actually looks like a QB. Been a while since I have been able to say that about anyone playing that position for the vikes.

We'll see how he pans out obviously, but he looks sharp so far.

McNabb? I don't remember hearing anything positive about him...

How can you "look like a QB" wearing shorts during a walk through drill?

Until he is facing an opposing defense geared to rip him a new one this is just window dressing. Fans want/need him to succeed so badly they will turn a blind eye to any question marks until he gets on the field and the team is going to sell him as everything the tam needs so they get more butts in the seats. Hopefully he works out but I am going to wait to see it before I crown him.

My point was that I wouldn't compare bridgewater to ponder, jackson, or McNabb and that what I've seen so far looks better than those three did in "shorts during a walkthrough drill." Regardless... my "looking like a QB" was more of a knock to Ponder and Jackson than it was a statement about bridgewater.

Wouldn't say anyone's crowning him at this moment anyway. Truth is I just want him to start so I don't have to watch Cassel play another game for the vikes.

Hey now, Cassel wasn't that bad..........at least you have to admit he's a better QB to have than Pondscum.

What's wrong with the wait and see approach? Everyone is a stud when they are wearing their red shirt, even Blunder!!!

Hey now, Cassel wasn't that bad..........at least you have to admit he's a better QB to have than Pondscum.

I cannot admit that. Even if I honestly thought Cassel IS actually better than Ponder, which he isn't, I'm too biased. I've never thought him to be an NFL caliber QB.

I'd say they're both about the same caliber. Backup QB's that will wind up doing some coaching at some point, probably at the collegiate level.

Anyone here see the Gruden QB Camp with Bridgewater?

so when Cassel was throwing TD's and winning games in New England you said "that guy is nothing more than a back-up"?

Cassel has suceeded in this league at one point and Ponder has done nothing...Cassel is a better QB but I wouldn't put him as a franchise qb

so when Cassel was throwing TD's and winning games in New England you said "that guy is nothing more than a back-up"?

Cassel has suceeded in this league at one point and Ponder has done nothing...Cassel is a better QB but I wouldn't put him as a franchise qb

I don't remember if I ever mentioned anything of the sort when he was with NE. I try to avoid paying attention to anything Boston related. So I guess the fact that he even played for the Pats is an automatic 10 point reduction (in "respect points")

I used to laugh at his "talent" back when he was at KC, until the vikes picked him up and I didn't laugh anymore, especially when it was apparent that Mr. Ponder wasn't exactly a shining example of an NFL qb and the odds of Cassel "starting" were increasing...

I dunno if cassel is better than ponder or not (I do actually, he's not, but for sake of argument let's pretend he is), but I would still label them as more of a ackup qb role than starter (as you alluded to with your "not exactly a franchise qb" comment)

you just had said "I've never thought him to be an NFL caliber QB." so i had just thought you meant you have never thought he could be a starter when coming out of NE everyone seemed to think he could be a good qb...but you are right that I am not high on Cassel but I think he is our best option for the begining of the year until Teddy B can prove his ability to lead the team if that ever happens.

oh and Cassel didn't have much to work with while in KC imo but I think he will be servicable as a starter on this squad this year.

Lets not forget that the system Blunder and Cassel played under in MN was pretty horrid.

To me all 3 of our QB's are equal at this point with a new system, the only thing Blunder and Cassel have over Teddy at this point is some real game time experience but not like either of them really shine in the moment.

If Teddy beats them out in camp he should be day 1 starter. I'd hate for the staff to say to themselves "Teddy is the best QB on the roster but lets go with Cassel because he has started some games before".

To me all 3 of our QB's are equal at this point with a new system,

I'm not sure I would agree with that at all. We've all witnessed what Ponder can do and it's fairly obvious that his abilities (or lack thereof) are mutually exclusive to any type of system.

He doesn't pass the smell test, other than that he stinks. He was nothing more than a desperation draft pick that failed miserably.

Tedy is sure seeming to be a guy who wants to escalate his game. In his free time he is playing madden to familiarize himself more with turners offense. Manziel studies by popping corks.

Also agree with Lmit...hardly ever do.

Ponder was maybe the worst draft pick the Vikes have made in a decade...it turned out to be a really bad pick at the most important position on the field.

I honestly don't know what they were thinking when they took him?? Marginal skills...no leadership abilities...and very little upside moving forward. It's very rare for former teammates to criticize a player...Ponder has been scorched by both former players and players still on the roster.

Onward and upward...Bridgewater seems to have all the skills to be a good QB in the league for years...let's hope he takes over a leadership position on this team quickly. He needs to be this teams leader...even at his young age.

Ponder needs to go...and he will. No way he makes the 53 man roster this Fall. You don't keep a cancer around as a 3rd string QB.

I think calling ponder a cancer is a bit of a stretch. I believe he will be on the roster who else would be there? Not saying he is going to lead this team to the promised land but he is certainly not someone who destroys a locker room like others.

They need the roster space and unless the rookies and FA's completely flop, Ponder is leaving town on the next thing smokin.

I'm not sure I would agree with that at all. We've all witnessed what Ponder can do and it's fairly obvious that his abilities (or lack thereof) are mutually exclusive to any type of system.

He doesn't pass the smell test, other than that he stinks. He was nothing more than a desperation draft pick that failed miserably.

You took what I said out of context but I do agree. When I said all 3 QB's are equal I'm talking about opportunity. New coaches and new playbook, none of them really have an advantage over the others with everything being new. That's why it's an open competition.

Not like I really think Blunder stands a chance at being the starter, but his opportunity is equal. If you look at my next sentences I say I'd hate for our staff to go with Cassel just because he has been a starter in the past even though Teddy beats him out and is the better QB. I don't mention Blunder at all lol.

Lets not forget that the system Blunder and Cassel played under in MN was pretty horrid.

When you lead off your thoughts with that comment it pretty much appears that you are blaming the system, not Ponder. Then to follow that up by saying all three QB's are now equal and the table has been reset, well... it seems the context is fairly clear. smirk

I disagree that Ponder will be given an equal opportunity and that it's an open competition. He needs to go. We saw what happened when T-Jack was left lingering in the background...sooner or later that ugly head rears itself and we're back to square one again. You don't want that to even be a possibility.

I was talking about both Blunder and Cassel but you only like to keep pointing out Blunder? Either way it's the truth, the system and playbook our QB's had last yr was horrible, not to mention how we never let any QB get into any kind of rhythm by doing the QB merry go round week after week. Would of been difficult for any QB into rhythm and thrive, unless of course it was the MIGHTY JOHNNY FOOTBALL!! smirk

Need the roster space? Yeah, they also need 3 qbs. Let's not forget that. Who would be filling this spot if its not ponder?

Most teams don't carry 3 QB's anymore. I forget who the "experts" were talking about, but there are a handful of players that the Vikings may want to keep on the roster (barring any setbacks between now and the season opener) and Ponder would be the odd man out to make room. They'll hold onto him until the last possible moment just in case something happens to Cassel or Bilgewater, but after that he should be cut.