• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New interior

harvey lee

Nothing wrong with the interior of the wheelhouse but I am considering putting in all new knotty pine on the walls, I think it would brighten up the interior and I like the stuff.

Whats the best to use, the tounge and groove and in what width?

Looked at the 4x8 sheets but not convinced that the sheet would look as nice as the smaller boards.

What's the best to use for longevity and look's?

Harvey,

for looks and longevity I'd go with 1x6. Anything wider and if it shrinks you could see some gaps or actually it won't be as tight, the tongue may show. The wider the board when it shrinks % wise the larger the shrinkage in inches. If you like the look of 1x4 and want to spent the extra time installing that solves the shrinkage issue even more.

I have no issue with how long it will take me at all, time wise. I just want it to look nice and last at least as long as I do.

I also read online where one company said if it is kiln dried, no shrinkage. Guess I am going to do more research on this.

Harvey,

The solid pine will be more durable in the long run than a 4x8 sheet of pine plywood. The plywood will be cheaper and will be quicker to install but will also need a backer.

As far as expansion and contraction, those are impacted by changes in humidity and temperature(In so far as temperature has an impact on how much water the air can hold). If you want the best performance you will want to add a clear protective finish to all sides of the pine prior to installation. This will help seal the wood and prevent moisture exchange which will reduce the amount of expanding and contracting the wood will go through. Yes, kiln drying will make the wood more stable but it will not in any way prevent the wood from seasonal movements.

I think most of us here have used the 4inch Menards 5/16th stuff and been happy with it. If you do a search you'll see a ton of posts about it. Finish it with clear sealer and it's nice and bright and real good looking. The real stuff is probably better but a LOT heavier and a LOT more expensive. It's kind of overkill in my book unless it's a huge resort rental house that needs the durability. You're right on the sheets, they do look more like paneling.

I have the 5/16" pine in mine, couldn't be happier with it. It goes up really quick if you have a trim nail gun. As said before it goes on sale at Menards about every 3 months for buy one get one free.

Talked to a friend who owns a lumber yard and was in the home building business for his entire life.

I asked him about nailing the strips on and he said I should glue it as it holds better and I won't have all the small nail holes.

Anyone else try this, he builds 2-3 fishhouses per year for friends and this is how he does it.

Harvey,

I used the 1/4 tongue and grove from the big M. I used it cause it is very light and not expensive. When I installed it I nailed it with my finish nailer right by the tongue so the next course would hide the fastners. That way when I put the next piece on it covered it. I could simply push the back over the nail. Then I had it spray foamed and it isnt going anywhere. I built mine from the inside out.

If you use some PL 400 and a few finish nails you should be good to go. Then just clear coat it. I did like 3 coats on mine. Really sheds the water when you get it on there from fish or the auger.

The exact reason not to glue it is because it won't come apart if you need to get behind it. The nail holes only bother you when you're doing it, then you hardly notice them. Those little Ryobi cordless nailers at Home Depot that go with their 18 volt sets are incedible time saversand no compressor to drive you nuts. Just be carefull, everybody holds their breath the first time you try your trailer lights! The hardest thing to keep in mind, if you're like me is-IT'S ONLY A FISH HOUSE!

The exact reason not to glue it is because it won't come apart if you need to get behind it. The nail holes only bother you when you're doing it, then you hardly notice them. Those little Ryobi cordless nailers at Home Depot that go with their 18 volt sets are incedible time saversand no compressor to drive you nuts. Just be carefull, everybody holds their breath the first time you try your trailer lights! The hardest thing to keep in mind, if you're like me is-IT'S ONLY A FISH HOUSE!

Funny you mention the trailer lights, I had a nail go through and short the right turn signal to ground. That was really fun to figure out!

I bought a 3 year old house at the end of this last year and have been working on flipping the inside this spring/summer. I bought the 5/16" pine from the big M store and it looks great! I got lucky and bought mine when it was on sale a couple months ago. I only sealed the face side with 2 coats of clear water based sealant since I have thick black poly for a vapor barrier. Used my 16 gauge air nailer and it went on like a gem. Buy a few extra packages since some of the planks are cracked/knot holes. I also ran all new wires and am puting in a converter since it didn't have one, but does have a generator hook up. I still have some odds and ends to finish with the trim work, but pretty happy with how it's turning out! Here's a few pics of before and after full-8336-46895-image.jpg

full-8336-46896-image.jpg

full-8336-46898-image.jpg

full-8336-46901-image.jpg

full-8336-46902-image.jpg

full-8336-46903-image.jpg

full-8336-46904-image.jpg %7Boption%7D

The never ending question. How come when I want to add a picture they always show up sideways? I've always been going to do a build post but get frustrated. I can't even get a picture on here showing my interior.

• 1 month later...

So what did you decide to do Harvey!? I always like to look at pics of different houses and try to get ideas of how to better mine. I finished flipping mine a couple weeks ago and the wife and myself used it last weekend for a mini camping trip. Very happy with the way it turned out!! full-8336-48171-image.jpg

full-8336-48172-image.jpg

full-8336-48173-image.jpg

You got it right Hawg, pretty tough blind nailing the 5/16". I ended up face nailing mine. Still looks great and shouldn't have to worry about any boards pulling loose.

I decided to wait another year or 2. I went into the house to do some measuring to order some and I looked at the interior now and there is simply nothing wrong with it.

As much as I want the knotty pine interior, I am going to wait until this interior is at least a little beat up.