• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fished Alouze on Monday night and landed one nice fat 22" 'eye that I promptly released. Only hit and never saw another landed in the 6 other boats out. Tried Tuesday by the Bong and the skies opened up on me before I made two passes and had to quit, no hits. I've been pulling every stick bait in my box and the only thing consistent is that the larger baits, like a #8 rap and, are what is taking the occasional fish, other than that I'm inconsistent and not finding any patterns. I can pull at 1.3 mph with my worn out trolling motor or 3 mph with the main motor but nothing in between unless the wind is right, so speed might be the issue. Any comments?

Wish I could help you Musky Hunter but I haven't been out there in weeks. Last year I had serious issues finding those fish post Allouez bay area. If speed is the issue maybe use a drift sock w/ the main to slow yourself down, or possibly back trolling?

I know my main won't let me troll forwards unless I'm targeting Marlin or Tuna. So I end up doing quite a bit of back trolling while pulling cranks and sticks.

Of course a kicker motor would be the best way but pricey. I would buy 2 small trolling bags and put 1 out each side of the front of the boat so they come 1/2 way back. Don't get them too far back so the motor isn't a issue and then make sure to keep them out of the bowmount. I steer with my bowmount and control speed with the kicker. Works great in winds.

You can also play with the trim of your boat. My 115 Yamaha 4 stroke would get below 2 if I trimmed up or down depending on current, wind etc.

Fished Alouze on Monday night and landed one nice fat 22" 'eye that I promptly released. Only hit and never saw another landed in the 6 other boats out. Tried Tuesday by the Bong and the skies opened up on me before I made two passes and had to quit, no hits. I've been pulling every stick bait in my box and the only thing consistent is that the larger baits, like a #8 rap and, are what is taking the occasional fish, other than that I'm inconsistent and not finding any patterns. I can pull at 1.3 mph with my worn out trolling motor or 3 mph with the main motor but nothing in between unless the wind is right, so speed might be the issue. Any comments?

Crawler harnesses?

The bag idea is a good one. I use them when pulling spoons on Superior with my 150 HP.

For walleyes, I use my bow mounted motor. 1.3 is a decent speed for harnesses

Thanks for the good suggestions. I was actually going to pull crawlers the other night but they were out of crawlers, so I just launched with what I had. I know I can pull crawlers at the right speed.

I always carry gulp floating and regular crawlers in the boat, that way if I cant get crawlers, forget them or dont plan on using them they are always there. Not as good as the real thing but they catch a lot of fish for me. Especially like them when pulling around or over weeds.

• 2 weeks later...

Spent about 1.5 hours in Allouez bay fishing from the kayaks with my girlfriend. She caught 4 walleyes and small northern I got a perch 2 clams and nice 14" crappie! Eyes were all caught on yellow salmo hornet

Kudos for going out on kayaks! Kayaks have to be less intrusive than a motored boat, they have a high stealth factor. Very interesting approach, and you get the added benefit of the exercise while having fun. Were you casting or trolling? Live bait or artificials?

I've been trolling, slowed the boat speed down to about 2.2-2.5 mph by lowering the electric motor and trolling with the main motor. Got four a week ago, only one Thursday night. Can't say I have found a consistent pattern yet. From people I have talked to, the results in Aloueze have been hit or miss, but glad to see you had some success.

We were trolling with crank baits, 1-2 mph, I've been told by a few people that seem to think walleyes will strike on change, so speed or direction. I figured we would do good in the kayaks, there quiet, speed is not consistent like a motor and not as strait. Only had 2 snags and we got them both to release. We short lined them really, to stay off the bottom. Talked to a guy that caught a bunch on crawler harness's but also snagged and lost 7-8 rigs.

• 2 weeks later...

Good night on the river tonight caught 7 walleyes all from 14 inches to 23 all but 2 16 inchers went back had to keep some for dinner

Good night on the river tonight caught 7 walleyes all from 14 inches to 23 all but 2 16 inchers went back had to keep some for dinner

Spinners?

Yesterday, the bay looked like a bowl of Coco Puffs

Does anyone have any luck around boys scout or spirit this time of year for eyes? Also, is there a link for barkers that I'm not seeing? Thanks

LINK for Barkers? You mean for Barkers Island Marina or Hotel? Check the phone book. If your looking for that area to fish just look on a map and look for the park point airport and you will see barkers on the superior side of the bay. You can fish the whole thing.

Yes we have luck by boyscout this time of year. Usually on channel edges and in channel. Crappies should be going up there in deeper water too.

Sorry I should have worded that differently. Yes I was referring to the area around barkers island. I'm not sure if there is another name for it and a different page off the main duluth area page. Thanks for the info, if I make it up the the area I'll post a report

• 2 months later...

Has anyone checked the ice conditions on the bays on the St.Louis?? I'm thinking of going and checking the pokegama tomorrow...Thanks for any info

How much life insurance do you have? Even the back bays have current that keeps them from freezing up solid/safe until well into December. Just because the air has been December like doesn't mean that the ice is. The sun angle still can put a lot on energy into that water. Be careful, or better yet, stay home and cheer on another vikings' loss.

I saw 5 earlier and talked to 1 guy who said trhe ice was 2-4". Remember its not locked in and can pull from shore any time, especially when the cutter or ships go through.

Does anybody know what happened with the car going through down in the bay? I have to believe he just went off the road or something.

Not exactly sure but heard of a kid getting stuck in a vehicle that went through and now he is in critical condition? And another (separate) incident that a side by side went through and he can't get it out? Harbor=Danger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why would you be driving a side by side out there? There can't be much snow out there, you don't have to walk far. ..I don't get why you would risk that...I'm planning on giving it a shot in the morning, but ill be walking with a spud bar...

Fishing was good last night and this am. Best lure was a gold perch VMC Tingler. Second best was a gold/glow tape tingler. Last night fish got tight lipped and smaller jigs n full minnow caught the bigger fish. Biggest was 27". Went out from the rowing club and found 5-7" of ice. Bring cleats its slick in spots.

Thinking about heading out tomorrow for the first time. Going out from the rowing club. Just curious of the slot for walleyes out there

Went out from the row club on tues am. Fished till 11. Marked two fish. Found 2-7 inches of ice where we fished, and didn't venture near the channel.

Thinking about heading out tomorrow for the first time. Going out from the rowing club. Just curious of the slot for walleyes out there

You can keep two fish. They must be at least 15" long.

But pleeeez let the big fish go.. Sure wish the day comes where we get a slot on the river!!!