• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Back in Ia now so of no help. Some medical appts to get mom to in the next couple weeks so will probaly miss it this year. Brian/bmc usually has his finger on the pulse on this. Might pm him. I know someone who was up just east of Squaw Lake last weekend & he said he found 12" of good ice there. I haven't checked Williams Narrows webcams lately but will soon.

Edited by gunner55

Just checked out Williams narrows webcam and things are looking pretty open.  Looks like there might still be some floating ice far out but hard to tell for sure.

A little easier to tell today as they had snow overnight. Looking at the sattelite view it appears the the line for locked up lakes starts just south of Leech now. I got a email from a person who lives on our lake & he was guessing the end of April / 1st of May for ice out. We are only 6-8 miles from the Hwy 46 bridge

• 2 weeks later...

Any reports on how the netting is going?  I understand Winnie still has some ice on it, got to be getting close to ice out?  I see the ice went off Leech on the 17th.  Looks like we are looking at a pretty normal opener for a change!

The last of it here went out last weekend on Sunday the 17th as well & we're just off Co Rd 35. I spoke with a couple that are on Little Cutfoot last night & they said that the netting was still going yesterday. We started putting our dock in the morning yesterday

Edited by gunner55

I stopped by the DNR netting operation on Sunday.  Their holding nets were full of gorgeous walleyes, I'm talking hundreds of 20 to 26 inchers.  At the time there was no stripping occurring.  

They were out there this morning but it didn't look like much was happening. Even less going on when we came back from GR this afternoon.

A good article on the netting on Little Cutfoot in the last shopper we got. They were done last Wednesday & had harvested the usual 1000 qts of eggs. It's been going on since the 20's & generally last about 10 days

• Thumbs Up 1

• 9 months later...

Bump! We went by yesterday & it's open from Mosomo Pt. to Little Cutfoot. Still some ice between Williams Narrows & the PA but the way it looks here, it might not be too long. Some ice back in Little Cutfoot too, talked to someone that said there was a few out there on Tuesday

It looked open from Williams Narrows past the netting station & all of Little Cutfoot appeared to be open. No sign of the little trailer that's usually there when they are netting though. 

Cutfoot looks wide open....any action on the nets ?  Coming up Wednesday would love to take a look.

Haven't been over that way since last week. The ice here was gone yesterday, with the weather today I'm going to say they might not be there yet. More warm temps coming tomorrow, so if I were to guess I would say they might start tomorrow. I'll see what I can find out. 

Edited by gunner55

Just seen where the Pike River Hatchery on Lake Vermilion has the nets in. According to Cliff W just small males so far.

There were 2 guys with a boat over there this afternoon, The rest of the equipment was there too but I didn't see any netting going on. Looks like they were setting up to start netting to me.

A lot of big girls in the holding pens yesterday. We were told that they thought it would take about a week to get what they want

• Thumbs Up 1

• 10 months later...

Went in to GR yesterday & found open water at the Hwy 46 bridge, so I thought I'd give this thread a bump

• 1 month later...

Came back up on Tuesday after going home on the Monday before Easter. There was quite a bit more open water before we went home than there was this week. We're going to be around for about the next month, so I'll keep you posted. Sure hope it's opening up by then,  it looks like there's some warmer temps in the extended forecast. We'll see. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Made a grocery run into GR yesterday & there was a lot more open water at the bridge. Bet it'll still be 2, maybe 3 weeks. I bump into 1 of the people that help work the nets over there on occasion, have to see what they say

• Thumbs Up 2

I crossed paths with the person that works over there yesterday & got to ask if they would be netting on the Opener? Their reply was it might be July.:crazy:  We'll see, may run into them again in the near future.

We still have 24" of ice on the bay & we're only 6-8 miles from where they set the nets. Doubt they'll be starting anytime soon over there.

Yesterday there was open water, half way from the bridge to narrows used for netting and stripping.  It won't be long now.  The gates are still locked too.  

We'll be making a trip in to GR again. in the next couple days. See what it looks like then.

• Thumbs Up 1

Went by the netting site yesterday again early & there was no sign of the little trailer that they use for an office when it's going. There looked to be ice just east of where they set up the nets. The other side of the bridge was open past the PA but not much further. According to their webcam Williams Narrows wasn't completely open yesterday yet either. Only life I seen over there was 20-30 pelicans on the ice to the west. 

Edited by gunner55
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's opening up quickly at William's Narrows, it doesn't look like it's open all the way east to the PA yet, but could be soon. I wouldn't be surprised to see them getting ready to go when we go to GR this week. That should be in the next couple days.

There was a truck with the little boat behind it when we went by early today, along with the trailer they use for a office. Everything looked ready to go when we came back but there was nobody there. I would bet tomorrow,  at least by Friday. Some ice yet around the dam on Winnie

• Thumbs Up 1