Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

tcroz

Netting on Cutfoot Sioux

49 posts in this topic

Is there any netting action on Cutfoot yet? Heading up to open up the shack this weekend, was hoping to go take a look. Looking at the Williams Narrows web cam it looks as though the ice is getting awful black! Still got a ways to go though.

Nothing happening as of Saturday. Other than the 46 bridge narrows and Williams narrows, Big/Little Cutfoot are still totally iced up.

The DNR won't set up the nets until the ice is out.

They don't want an iceberg to destroy the docks or the nets.

Brian

Anyone been by Cutfoot in the last day or two to see if netting has begun? I heard the trucks and equipment was parked there earlier this week. Would love to bring my son over there this weekend if they are netting.

Thx

muskielaw

Was by there about 4 yesterday afternoon & the sign was up along side the road for where to enter.Seen some more equiptment over by the trailer they use & it looked like 3 guys maybe just finishing up putting in the nets,docks with everything else they use.I'd bet you would be good to go for the weekend.It's pretty cool to see & don't be afraid to ask some questions.They are more than willing to take the time to answer them all if they can.

Just left there a couple of hours ago. They have started stripping this morning, and are holding both males and females in the nets. If you want to see the stripping operation, try to arrive between eight and ten in the morning. If you arrive later, you still can look at the fish in the nets. According to Chris K, this will be a short run this year so try to visit within the next week. Very educational. At this time there is still ice on Cutfoot, but he believes Winnie will be ice free for opener.

I thunk I'm going to have agree with Chris K about ice free by opener.The rain this morning must have doubled,at least,the amount of open water along our shoreline(Sand).

As of this morning about 1100 walleye sorted and the (ripe) stripped Fri. 120 quarts of 1200 quarts quota collected.

Staff today said they will be done this Tuesday or Wednsday at the latest.

With the late ice out, the walleyes are already running when they do get the nets in, so they harvest their egg quota in a hurry.

Brian

Is this something they do in other lakes also?

As good a lake as Winnie is I wonder how different it would be in this did not take place. Not against it, just wondering.

Is this something they do in other lakes also?

As good a lake as Winnie is I wonder how different it would be in this did not take place. Not against it, just wondering.

It would not change things all that much. When they hatch eggs in a controlled environment they are very successful but out on the lake it is very limited. They have been stripping eggs on Winnie for as long as I can remember and it is still a great fishery. The eggs they strip help keep the area lakes stocked which in turn helps to take the pressure off Winnie as well. There are other places that they strip eggs at in Mn.

I stopped & visited with them last year,they said the ones stocked in Sand came from Pine River hatchery they thought.I think there's another 1 over by Vermillon too.I believe I read somewhere that the Cutfoot hatchery is the second oldest in the state that still being used.

A percentage of the hatch gets put back into Winnie every year also. It has been going on since the 1920's I believe. This sight has a great description of what they do there.

http://www.lakewinnie.net/walleyestripping.htm

The majority of Winnie's walleyes spawn in the lake itself. Little Cutfoot has about the worst conditions for survival of walleye of all the inlets. Also, they return a significant portion of the young to the lake while stocking the others in nearby lakes. Stop by and talk to the fisheries people either at the stripping site or the hatchery in Grand Rapids. They should be able address all your concerns.

Absolutely no concerns from me.

Winnie is my favorite lake.

Just interested in learning about what they do and how it works and how it affects the lake.

Got some great info.

Thanks to those in the know.

On Vermilion (only one "l") they put a percentage of the fry that they hatch from the eggs they take back in the lake to compensate for taking the eggs. Typically it is several tens of millions of fry. The hatchery gets 80% or so to hatch compared to nature's few percent.

They take between 500 and 1000 quarts of eggs each year at Pike Bay/Pike River on Vermilion. Going on now. Vermilion fry were used to rehabilitate Red Lake.

Thanks for straightening out my spelling Del. grin Yeah no comparison between the #'s they get to hatch & naturally.I know a couple of the last times they have stocked some on our lake they have used fingerlings & not fry.That too is supposed to really up thier chanches,3 or 4 times,of making it.We went by Cutfoot yesterday about noon & they were very busy.

Went by there yesterday & it's open to where they put their nets.Little Cutfoot stiil had ice though & the forcast after today through early next week doesn't look like they will be netting before it warms again.

Returning from Bemidji around 2 yesterday there was 4 vehicles parked along the highway where they go back to the netting station.Little Cutfoot looked to still be 80% ice covered with no actual activity where they set the nets.

The walleyes aren't ready yet. A lot has to do with the amount of light that they get as each day gets a little longer. That is the main trigger. Temp plays an important role but the amount of daylight they get is the bigger factor. Maybe in two weeks. I was in there fishing on opener last year and it was lights out. The DNR had just finished in there a few days before opener. It was absolutely loaded with eater size walleye. Opener was on the 10th and by the 13th the bulk of them were gone.

Im surprised you found eaters last opener, we could only find post spawn females. Didnt look to hard though we were having fun. Never have I seen so many 20" plus walleyes. Anywhere in twelve ft and you were on the fish. Think our group only kept six eaters all weekend. Funniest thing was a pontoon anchored off a point and two little girls casting bobbers and hauling in big skinny walleyes left and right, an expensive ranger wouldnt give them any space and kept bugging them, "what are you using?" And they couldnt catch a thing it was hilarious.

They say the males will stick around the spawning grounds hoping to get one last "shot" in. So it does not surprise me. We did the same thing caught the skinny tube sock females .... But it was fun! Would like to go back up to see the netting it is a sight to behold love,it!!!!!

Good to know, That is where one of the guys we know up there was catching keepers, towards the river. Always have fun fishing that lake early season. Have yet to see them spawning maybe ill make it up early this year

They say the nets are up and ready for action. Hoping to head up this weekend to check things out!!!!!

The DNR put the nets in today around noon.

I was there at 6pm and there were a few walleyes starting to show up.

The caretaker Pat figured there'd be a big run this week with the weather that's forecasted.

He also told me about 50% of the fry raised from this operation are returned to the Cutfoot/Winnie chain.

Brian

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• monstermoose78
      By monstermoose78
      I know the lakes are open and that means some the first open water fishing spots are producing. Any one out there catching em yet? I will be riggin the ultra light up today so I can stop on my way home from work.  
    • monstermoose78
      By monstermoose78
      I know the lakes are open and that means some the first open water fishing spots are producing. Any one out there catching em yet? I will be riggin the ultra light up today so I can stop on my way home from work.  
    • Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      3.13.17 Sunset Lodge Fishing Report

Hello from the NW Angle!

The snow pack has diminished and snowmobile trails on the the lake are icy. The forecast for this week is great for extending our ice fishing season.

On the Minnesota side, the number of perch have greatly increased with many 14 inchers being caught. Good sized saugers are being seen as well. The dead stick is still productive, rattlers and spoons used as attracting method in the sand or mud off of the rock structure.

Canadian fishing has been consistent, limits of crappies are being caught in 30-33ft with fine plastics that wiggle. Walleyes can be had easily near rock structure in 22-26 feet.

Until next week,

Sunset Lodge Ice Team

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      3.6.17 Sunset Lodge Fishing & Ice Report

Hello from the NW Angle!

Mid-week we are expecting temperatures in the teens and a few inches of snow which should help extend the hard water season!

On the Minnesota side, fishing has really picked up. The morning bite is strong up until the noon hour and picks back up again around 4pm. With the longer days, the evening bite is a little more consistent. Black and gold as well as pink and white have continued to produce the most fish. We are fishing more rock piles than in February and are having good luck at depths between 22 and 24 ft.

On the Canadian side, holes between 28 and 30 feet are a solid bet for crappies. Blue and white tungsten with a red mustache worm or wax worm have been very productive. We are seeing a lot more perch in our catch.

Still a couple weeks of great fishing left, come join us!

Until next week,

Sunset Lodge Ice Team

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      2.27.17 Sunset Lodge Fishing Report

Hello from the NW Angle!

Ice conditions are still favorable with 20-24 inches of solid ice in non-current areas. Snow cover is minimal on snowmobile trails but are still being groomed and in good condition.

On the Minnesota side, we are seeing walleyes being caught  on shallower rock points between 20-24 feet as well as deeper mud between 28-30 feet. A good number of saugers and perch are also being produced. Black and gold have been performing very well using a variety of baits.

Canada is still producing but the crappie bite has been hot and cold within the last week. Walleyes are are most active on rock humps with successful colors being, blue and white, pink and gold.

Until next week!

Sunset Lodge Ice Team

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      2.20.17 Sunset Lodge Fishing Report

Hello from the NW Angle!

We still have lots of ice up here, however the snow pack is diminishing rapidly, especially with the warm temps and rain in the forecast.

On the Minnesota side, fishing away from structure seems to be most productive with target depth being from 22-30 feet. Gold continues to be the hot color. The amount of perch we are seeing in our buckets continues to increase.

Fishermen on the Canadian side are still reaching their crappie limit with ease, fishing holes between 29 and 35 ft. A variety of baits are producing including, wax worms, mustache baits and dead minnows.

Until next week,

Sunset Lodge Ice Team

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      2.20.17 Sunset Lodge Fishing Report

Hello from the NW Angle!

We still have lots of ice up here, however the snow pack is diminishing rapidly, especially with the warm temps and rain in the forecast.

On the Minnesota side, fishing away from structure seems to be most productive with target depth being from 22-30 feet. Gold continues to be the hot color. The amount of perch we are seeing in our buckets continues to increase.

Fishermen on the Canadian side are still reaching their crappie limit with ease, fishing holes between 29 and 35 ft. A variety of baits are producing including, wax worms, mustache baits and dead minnows.

Until next week,

Sunset Lodge Ice Team

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      2.13.17 Sunset Lodge Fishing Report

Hello from the NW Angle!

On the Minnesota side, fishing has really picked up this week! The ice is thick and temps are nice, making for a much more pleasurable hard-water experience. Less turbidity has really allowed for more natural colors to work. Using the dead stick is still producing the most fish with depths under a foot off of the bottom. Lots fish in the slot, as well as, multiple over 28!

On the Canadian side, walleyes are being caught in transition zones, with gold and pink and whites being the hot colors. The crappie bite is at 30ft plus in the mud with Tungstens topped with plastic. Jigging spoons with a minnow head are also producing fish.

Until next week,

Sunset Lodge Ice Team

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Another week has come and gone up here at the Angle. The weather sure changed for us up here. The week started with below zero temps and we ended the week in the 30's with some rain mixed in. It still didn't affect the fishing, as houses produced their limits of fish once again including a 31", 11 pound walleye!

On the Minnesota side, we still have our houses scattered all around in 22-28 feet of water. Gold, pink and green were the best, tipped with a minnow or minnow head. We have had perch and saugers mixed in with all the walleyes, too!

On the Canadian side, the crappie and walleye bite has been very good! Crappies have been in 28-33 feet of water. Only fish to your limit and then switch to another species’ for the rest of the day. Walleyes have been great in 22-29 feet, using the same colors as the Minnesota side, tipped with a minnow or minnow head.

This is Forrest Huset with another fishing report.

We hope to see you all at Sunset Lodge this winter!

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Another week has come and gone up here at the Angle. The weather sure changed for us up here. The week started with below zero temps and we ended the week in the 30's with some rain mixed in. It still didn't affect the fishing, as houses produced their limits of fish once again including a 31", 11 pound walleye!

On the Minnesota side, we still have our houses scattered all around in 22-28 feet of water. Gold, pink and green were the best, tipped with a minnow or minnow head. We have had perch and saugers mixed in with all the walleyes, too!

On the Canadian side, the crappie and walleye bite has been very good! Crappies have been in 28-33 feet of water. Only fish to your limit and then switch to another species’ for the rest of the day. Walleyes have been great in 22-29 feet, using the same colors as the Minnesota side, tipped with a minnow or minnow head.

This is Forrest Huset with another fishing report.

We hope to see you all at Sunset Lodge this winter!

• Sherman
      I'll be out this wknd and got 3 spots to try out so still debating which one will be the ticket. The past couple weeks I've been getting some while crappie fishing.  Going to be shore fishing so FYI the water level is pretty high right now with all the rain from few weeks ago. A wader would be handy if you have one.  Good luck n be safe out there.
    • Thulie
      Found a half dozen good size crappies on Clear Lake in Waseca Sunday.  Just off the bottom in 8 feet of water, minnows under bobbers.  Water temp was 58 on the east side of the lake, which was a full degree above the rest of the lake.
    • eyeguy 54
      yepper, almost 30 between the 2 of us in the slack water next to fast water. kinda hard to fish in that fast water when it's moving so fast...  
    • Tom Sawyer
      We were using both, but the number of fish caught was definitely based on..... location, location, location - slack water during high flows is where it's at buddy.
    • eyeguy 54
      I remember when I first moved to MN I went down to the dam with a buncha angleworms. Coudnt keep the smallies off. LOL