• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2014 Red River at Grand Forks Fishing Report

Hello All,

Grand Forks opened up ramps today. Ramps to the south are open and I suspect East Grand Forks and the towns north will not be too far behind. Let the madness begin.

Good cattin in 2014

• 2 weeks later...

Last week's rains have held up the show a lot. Grand Forks will be down and hopefully ramps plowed and opened up by the end of the week. Water temps are finally shaping up so next week we should be back to give it another go. Lets get this spring going.

Ramps are open river is at 23 with temps in the low 50s. With a little heat I would say conditions are about perfect around Grand Forks. I plan to start fishing in the next day or two.

• 2 weeks later...

Last week I said with a little heat things would start to pick up and they have. With water temps rising to the mid-50s the catfish have started to feed in their run to the spawn. Best locations have been shallow to about 13 feet in the slower current just off the main channel. Some fish are starting to move in the channel but not as many as in the slower water structure. Big fish are coming right on the edge of the current near structure. Stay on the move covering water until you find the fish.

Bait has been cut sucker but I’m confident that any fresh cut bait will work right now.

With a warm forecast over the next 10 days look for catfishing to be good over the next few weeks.

Catfishing on the Red has gotten fairly tough over the past few days. It looks like the water temp rising 15 degrees in less than a week has the fish in a bit of shock. The good news is they seem to be coming out of the funk as the conditions level off. The best way to catch them is fish structure staying on the moving until you find active fish. There is a lot of picking and pulling that will eventually turn into a bite. Remember to keep the bait fresh.

The spawn is just around the corner and the fish are feeding so get out and make the best of it. River conditions are perfect and the fish look spectacular. Don’t forget the bug spray either you are going to need it.

Catfishing on the Red remains good with many nice fish coming in. The best locations seem to be on structure with a softer current. Fish are biting both shallow and deep so try it all, stay on the move and good things will happen. All bait seems to be working with none any better than the other. Even spray additives to recharge older baits are working.

With water temperatures in the low 70s spawn is nearing or getting started. Overall water conditions are about perfect so get out and have fun.

• 1 month later...

Any updates from your neck of the woods, Proguide? Water levels, fish reports? Wondering if a trip out there in a couple weeks would be worth it (3 hour drive for me). Thanks!

pikestabber, the reports I'm hearing would suggest that it'd be a good time to come up. Water levels are finally getting back to fishable and if we can stay dry for a while, should continue to improve. I'd guess the bite will go from cutbait to frogs sometime soon, so prepare accordingly!

Sorry, between the flood shut down and a trip to northern Canada to chase lakers I have been absent. Water at GF is just under 20 feet. Water temp took a dive this past week and fishing tough right now.

So here is the outlook. Levels are perfect, the fish are here and we just need a little bit of heat to get things rocking. Bait has been an issue as of late. Suckers are hard to find. Goldeyes are plentiful and frogs should be around the corner.

Awesome, thanks Scoot and Proguide! People look at me cross-eyed when I make my trip or two a year "out of walleye country" to chase cats. If they only knew wink

pikestabber. Take note, the responses to your post are 7 days old. Water levels are no longer perfect. In fact they will be rapidly climbing following a pretty nasty storm last night. Much of the area received 3-4 inches of rain, and I'd wager the river is going to be a mess for a while again.

Yikes! Thanks for the warning, Sam. I'll check in closer to when we plan to go. I appreciate the heads up...I know things can change in a hurry over there.

ps. Interestingly, on another forum, I just spoke to someone who fished the Grand Forks area and did really well just yesterday! Evidently the heaviest rain fell just east of the Red River Valley, so right now at least the Red River of the North isn't that bad, yet.

Based on what "our" river is doing right now, 50 miles east of the Red, I would expect to see the Red River climb pretty rapidly over the next few days.

You're on the right track. Best to check in with the bait shops, and outdoor sporting goods stores in Fargo and Grand Forks just before you come up. They'll have first hand info on river conditions.

Also, on a side note, seems the local stores have been having a little trouble keeping sucker minnows in stock, so you might wanna plan on bringing up your own bait (cut/frozen sucker minnow) when you come.

Thanks, again, Sam. After my first trip out there when I bought the last four sucker minnows in Grand Forks, apparently, I have gotten into the habit of bringing my own bait. I appreciate the update!

Catfishing remains a little tougher than I would like but things are picking up daily. What is going on is the up and down water temperatures of the past weeks has the spawn extended. Fish are being caught out of the heads of holes and along the outer edges of snags. Try all the locations until you find where they are biting best on that given day. Sit on a spot for an honest 20 minutes and keep the baits fresh. All baits seem to be working. I have had the best results with sucker while others are saying goldeye and frog. Seems a good piece of bait in the right place is more important than what the bait actually is.

Monday's storm has put a lot of water in the Red Lake River system that is moving this way. Expect a few feet of extra water over the weekend. This may push that catfish to the edges of the channel. Expect more debris over the next couple days while out in boats. Be safe.

NOTE: When I say tougher than I would like I mean by my standards. The water levels at Grand Forks should be around 22 feet which is still a great level and easy to fish. Suckers are still non-existent around here.

Water temps are around 77 and finally stable and this fresh drink of water is really helping things out. I am off the water until Saturday morning but expecting great things when I get back out there.

You're on the right track. Best to check in with the bait shops, and outdoor sporting goods stores in Fargo and Grand Forks just before you come up. They'll have first hand info on river conditions.

Grand Forks shops are lucky to know there is a river here half the time. They go by how many suckers they sell to judge if the fish are biting. Just saying I would not plan or cancel a trip by what they say.

Brad. Have I said or done something that's offended you? You seem to resent and/or refute whatever I share with people? I'm just trying to offer some helpful advice.

Actually, I know several of the guys that work in the fishing department at the C-store in East Grand, and they are very knowledgeable, helpful guys, who know pretty well where the best bite is, and what fish are being caught on.

Personally, I'd be pretty disappointed if I'd driven all the way from the cities for a weekend of fishing on the Red, only to find that the river is nearly unfishable, and the landings are under water. But maybe that's just me?

Brad. Have I said or done something that's offended you? You seem to resent and/or refute whatever I share with people? I'm just trying to offer some helpful advice.

Actually, I know several of the guys that work in the fishing department at the C-store in East Grand, and they are very knowledgeable, helpful guys, who know pretty well where the best bite is, and what fish are being caught on.

Personally, I'd be pretty disappointed if I'd driven all the way from the cities for a weekend of fishing on the Red, only to find that the river is nearly unfishable, and the landings are under water. But maybe that's just me?

No sir, no resentment. I just wanted to make the point that the water levels on the Red are not going to be as dramatic as they are over on the Red Lake. I also don't want people making that call to get bad info from a shop that doesn't know. I always ask for fishing reports at the local bait shops and never get one other than "we have been selling a lot of bait they must be biting." Where is this C-Store you are referring too? I thought the only 3 places selling suckers any more were Cabelas, Scheels and HOE. Am I missing a place?

Sorry you feel slighted I didn't mean anything like that.

I type C-store, for Cabela's. I didn't think we were allowed to type in the names of the big box outdoor sporting goods stores on this site. Sometimes the software actually amends what we type whether we want it to or not! crazy

Anyway, glad to know it's all cool. Cabela's is nearly within eye shot of the public landing in East Grand. I'd bet the farm these guys know first hand if the landings are open or not. Don't you think?

I'm really, really surprised they're forecasting such minimal increases in water levels. Our river up here is absolutely still raging, even several days now after the storm. I really gotta wonder if they're under-estimating how much the river in Grand Forks will rise? I guess we'll see.

NOAA doesn't put a forecast out until they project it to cross flood stage. The numbers I am throwing out are my own calculation of flow then converted back to gauge height. I have checked all gauges and tribs that might affect us here in GF and come up with Crookston as the only one that needs watching. My projection is around 22 feet based on 5-6k cfs increase.

So here is a quick report from the weekend. The water never came. Went up to a little over 20 feet which is just a nice level to fish. Saturday morning after a few warm days we hit the water and the fish were snapping in the fast water. Bait really didn't matter as long as you were at the head of a hole or on the edge of a drop off in fast water.

Saturday night brought on a pretty nasty front and the fish slowed way down. Sunday we got on the fish near at the top of the shelf on the secondary current seam near structure. We really had to slow down the fishing. Both sucker and goldeye was working but sucker seemed to work better over all. Sunday was funny. Not a lot of fish but mostly big fish.

Looks like heat in the forecast so a couple days of normality and they will be right back to the fast water.

Stable water levels and weather was just what the catfish wanted as fishing on the Red at Grand Forks is quite good. Numbers of big fish are coming in right now. The best locations have been the fast water just off the break to the main channel and heads of holes. It seems that the deeper break lines are the better spots but don't overlook the shallows with faster water either. Smaller fish have been on the shallower side of the same areas.

Keep moving! Wait no more than 15-20 minutes for active fish. All baits are working but I have had the best luck with goldeye and sucker.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty short report this week.

Catfishing on the Red is amazing. There are a ton of big fish in the system and they are feeding. Higher than seasonal average water levels coupled with a long patch of stable weather have the stars aligned. Fish the fastest water you can find in the holes and troughs. No need to sit without a fish for more than 20 minutes and when they hit hang on. Bait is whatever you like. I have found that FRESH cut sucker and frog are working the best. They are taking goldeye too.

It is a great time so get out and enjoy it.

• 2 weeks later...

It turns out that last weeks report was more of a hiccup than a change. By Friday night the weather straightened out and it was back to game on. We have had an amazing week continuing to get big fish in the holes and faster current spots. Baits were frog only but now shifting back to cutbait as well.

The forecast does not look favorable in the short term after Saturday. Might have to slow down and grind it out if it goes down like the weather man says. Cood days and cold nights starting Sunday. There are still lots of fish in the system to be caught so don't let this deter you.

Catfishing around Grand Forks remains great with many big fish still in the area. Cooler temps have slowed the fish down some and pushed them into more structure than they had been in. Give each spot an honest 20 minute sit and move on if you don't catch fish. Expect quite a bit of "tasting" before bites. Bait of choice has been sucker all week but they are starting to take frogs again.

There are many trophy fish in the area right now and no sign they are leaving with the great river conditions. Be sure to take advantage of it.

Catfishing on the Red River remains great all up and down the river. The warm days and cool night does have them a little mixed up as far as if they are in the current or not so you will have to try both to figure out where they are that day. Best big fish bite has been out of the current near structure however. Sit on spots at least 25 minutes to make sure negative fish have time to find the baits.

Baits have been sucker number one and frog number two. Goldeye has produced very little. (At least for me.) on warmer nights frogs seem to be better near dusk and after.

Forecast looks great, water flows look great so get out and enjoy.

Catfishing on the Red River remains great all up and down the river. The weather has cooled down substancially over the past couple days but so far the fishing has not slowed. I figure that over the next few days as water temps catch up to the air temps and cool down so will the bite some. Best catching has been out of the softer current near structure which typically is near snags or on the channel break of inside corners where a slower current is created. Sit on spots at least 25 minutes to make sure negative fish have time to find the bait.

Bait over the past week has been sucker, sucker or sucker. Goldeye and frogs have proven useless.

• The title was changed to 2014 Red River at Grand Forks Fishing Report