• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bluegill flies

Icefishfun

Hey guys I am wondering some good bluegill flies that are easy to tie but also catch fish. I have the following materials to do this-hackle,peacock herl,tinsel,foam,rubber legs,marabou,ear deer hair. Let's see some flies!!

apply dubbing to thread. I really like ice dubbing, because it looks cool I guess.

wrap thread around hook.

Tie off thread.

You have my best-producing bluegill flies.

Between the worst excuse for a nymph out there (see above), and panfish poppers which I buy from better lure makers than myself, you'll have fun all season long.

There are, of course, many other options. As for the fly I described, I highly recommend having one (or a few) of these in REALLY tiny hooks for the days that the fish are pickiest and only nipping at regular sized bluegill flies.

Buy a sheet of 1/8" closed cell craft foam.......cut into spider bodies and use that with your rubber legs. Great spider flies.

No worries. Poppers are brain dead simple. And if you have marabou and peacock herl you have all the ingredients you need to make killer panfish flies. You're gonna have to fight 'em off with an oar!! Ha Ha!

Just wanted to chime in on poppers again:

I buy mine not because it's hard, but because I just really like some of the well-finished ones. I don't think they catch more fish than the craft foam floating things with rubber legs I've made.

Everyone recommends poppers for a reason: They catch bluegills!! (and bass!) There is one caveat, at least IMO - The water has to warm up considerably before poppers is the method I use. Popper fly fishing is a very aggressive tactic where I go after fish that chase stuff to the surface and explode on it. In colder water, they may not rise to it at all, or if they do they may not even nibble, or if they do nibble that might be all they do and not even go 10% of the way towards getting the hook point in their mouth. This is where nymphs shine laugh

I agree mainbutter,Cold water nymphs.Agressive pannies take them,but the water is cold so their slower,when waters warm poppers!!I also like skeeters,blackgnats and a few duel purpose flys,that if not treated or dried from working on the rod will sink and mimmic nymphs.once insects start to hatch its on top.