• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Beginner fly rod

Icefishfun

I just started tying my own flies but do not have a fly rod (usually use a ultra light) what would be a good fly rod for a young beginner that is not too expensive, possibly less than $125

Do not be afraid of buying a nice used fly rod. Check the various auction sites and look for a Fenwick glass rod rated for a 5/6 line. And 8' would be best.

Finding a decent rod should not be hard. You CAN cast a fly line with a broomhandle or a rake.

Get a rod and start practicing. And only worry about making casts accurately and within thirty feet. When you have that down pat I'll show you how to cast with a number two shovel. Or a broom.

Relax. Have fun.

• 1 month later...

Don't be afraid to spend a chunk on a nice rod if you think you'd get your moneys worth out of it over the course of your lifetime (that's how long they last if you're good to them). I grew up in Missoula, MT and Fly fishing is the only form of angling out there. I can't tell you how many people I've known buy a crappy rod, try it out and end up hating fly fishing because of poor performance on the rod's part.

9' rods are generally the golden standard. 8 footers I find take more work to cast as effectively vs a 9 footer. The perfect "starter" rod I'd suggest would be a St. Croix Avid, either a 5wt or 6wt, 9'. Or I guess get a high end used rod. The avid is $290, but it's worth every dollar. Casting it is a dream, it's light and the moderate fast action (vs regular vs you'd get with a cheaper rod) really pays off in that it does a lot more work closing your loops and laying your line for you.

Take my word for it man, buy 1 rod you love and keep it forever. Don't buy an inferior rod and end up enjoying the sport less.

Splurge on the rod, and then cheap on the reel if you must. Don't be cheap with fly line either :P Fly fishing's kinda an expensive sport now that I add my stuff up in my head. I started out with an Avid years ago and it's the only rod I take everywhere with me no matter what I'm fishing.