• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Timing River Walleye Bite

Thinking of making my first trip to fish the rainy river. The biggest question is how to time the best bite. I assume it has to do with access, but might be water level or water temp? I realize I want to be there before its flooded.

As far as lodging, are the majority of the walleyes caught closer to Baudette or International falls?

Thanks

As far as lodging, are the majority of the walleyes caught closer to Baudette or International falls?

Thanks

Baudette.

Fish every year is different for timing some years river is low can fish longer period of time. Other years it only lasts roughly 10 days give or take a couple days after open water reaches birchdale landing 26 miles east of baudette. I have been going up since 97 and the little fork river up stream from birchdale is the biggest influence on the river. If we have a nice slooow spring thaw with the amount of snow on the ground. Makes a big difference. This spring lots of snow hope for slow thaw but we are getting late into the game. Need little warmer temps than what we have had. Still dont no about major spring run water temp? time of the year? that is another guessing game many different opinions on here which is great for discussions.

• 10 months later...

Figured I'd give this a bump for this year. What are you guys thinking? I'd imagine the warm winter (at least down here in the Cities) should mean little flow (assuming nothing changes), and a great spring run? I've fished the Rainy maybe a dozen times, but always in April for the sturgeon at the Gap. Never been to any of the upriver accesses, and never fished for the early eye bite. Been wanting to for awhile though! I'd like to get dates in the books sometime soon (I know it's early, but one of the guys needs to know), I'm thinking right around April? The one good thing is we'll be doing a weekday trip, so hopefully the crowds will be slightly reduced! Thanks for the info guys.

• 1 month later...

I have limited time that I can get up there with work and can only go one weekend. Would I be better heading up this weekend or should I wait until next weekend. If I wait, do I run the risk of the bite being done. thanks

I have limited time that I can get up there with work and can only go one weekend. Would I be better heading up this weekend or should I wait until next weekend. If I wait, do I run the risk of the bite being done. thanks

Not gonna.tell you what to do, just gonna tell you our plan and why.

We are planning making the trip the weekend of the 28th. I believe with the lack of runoff expected this year up that way, i doubt you can be to late. However, i also think you could be too early. 2012 as an example. We fished wheelers point March 27th and lake fish were just starting to show up in the river (almost all males). Hopefuly i'm right and the forks will be a non issue this year. I just believe with the temps where they are and expected to be for the next week, there isn't going to be enough open water to get things rolling. Again, just MY thoughts.

Hopefully, i'll be able to make it twice this year, but the 28th will be the first trek.

Was going to come up next weekend but now going to wait for first wknd of April. Too many years I've been up when it's birchdale and maybe frontier open only. The water was still too cold typically those trips and the bite was on the slow side at best. The coming weeks temps don't look to warm or melt the river too drastically. Just my opinion but our best fishing has always been when vidas was open and even closer to Baudette. Great years for us have been when guys are fishing the mouth and beyond while we are in the river. Just what I've seen in my years fishing the rainy. Always a gamble no matter when you go. Good luck to all!

By the way... Sad not to see Tim Anderson on here anymore. Talk about a guy willing to share honest information about the conditions and what was working on the Rainy River. He sure helped me out in my early days on the river.

Its a water temp thing that gets things going..... and all the other factors involved. I don't think you can be too late. Usually the closest to the closing weekend seems to be the best. Arriving April 1 for us.

Figured I'd give this a bump for this year. What are you guys thinking?

I'm thinking we are gonna see another banner year along the lines of 2010 and 12 with that BIG fish in a barrel easy fishing once again !!

I've been itching to get out.. Had the Yammi running last week. Jig sticks all restrung. River jig box organized, Twister tails and such packed. A box of cranks ready. Saved me a couple dozen bags of mongo-size frozen Shiners last fall just for the spring fling.

So for now I'm in a holding pattern as I wanna see the water warm a bit closer to 40 and hope to see the tribs let go of there ice in the next few days and then it'll be go time for me.

We have this bit of warmer weather coming with a chance of rain as well so hopefully this will get the tribs to bust out. May mud up the water for a day or 2 and there will be some ice chunks rolling downriver for a spell but after last years flood conditions debris this year should be minimal and it should clear out quickly.

Once those tribs lose their ice and barring any big rain events I think we are gonna see conditions near perfect for another epic bite early April thru till the end of season.

Tick tock tick tock.. Soon go time for me !!

Enjoy our spring season guys and gals.

Regards.... fiskyknut

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

I just got back fished fri sat we had 115 between 2 boats and 5 guys water temps were a little cold 36-37 degrees. We were a little early with the warm temps I would go this wknd the 4th-5th if I had to pick from the two.

Hi ther icehawk.or any one else.

I'm heading to the river tomorrow a.m.

Not asking for specific spots , but what landing would be recommended for myself and a

buddy of mine . Open for any one from Baudette to the east.

Any suggestions would be great . Thanks ,

If it were me I'd put in at Vidas and head as far West as the river allows. All signs seem to indicate they haven't moved in yet, so the closer you can get to intercepting them on the way up the better. Just be careful not to get yourself trapped. Ice could break free East of you and lock you in if you are navigating through narrow channels of open water.

Let us know how you do.

Darn Ma Nature not really cooperating, we get a bit of warm then back to cold. Past 2 nites have dipped into the teens. DNR estimates about 5% of the LOTW Walleye run up the Rainy to spawn.. The fish will come, it's not just all about temps getting them moving there is day length/photoperiod and other factors driving their instinct to head for their spawning grounds, lot's of theories on this in the archives of FM. Temps are a good gauge for us anglers though. Tribs still holding their ice and with the warm then cold they may just slowly lose ice and not muck things up much at all.. Or not ??

Buddy called last nite and told me the river had opened up past Wabanica so we are seeing more and more river to fish anyhows. Still thinking she'll turn on in a big way darn soon. Wishful thinking !!

fiskyknut

Was just on the webcamera at Sportsman lodge website and it looks like there is open water almost to them. You can see about 6-8 boats just to the east of the lodge. Any ideas what fishing will do if it opens up into the lake? Heading up on Thursday and cant wait.