• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anybody wanna take a guess?

As usual, March is teasing us with really nice days, followed by cold, blowing snow, and bitterly cold winds.

With spring just around the corner though, I find my mind often wandering to thoughts of the river, enjoying warm summer nights with good friends around the campfire, and fishing for cats and walleyes under the stars.

I think I've finally figured out how I'll build my dock for the river this spring. This is a huge challenge with the constantly fluctuating river levels, floating debris, and powerful side currents below the dam. But I'm pretty sure I've got it figured, and I'll try and post pics as the build proceeds.

Anyone wanna venture a guess when we're going to see the river open up this spring?

I'm gonna say we won't see open water till the second week of April. The forecast isn't calling for any significant warm up for at least another 10 days. I sure hope it goes out, and calms down enough for the fishing opener!

I'll try to continue river fishing reports on a regular basis again this year, and hopefully I'll be able to include some pics this year as well. Hope to have some species specific posts that will include smallmouth fishing, walleyes, catfish, etc..and of course reports from the backyard honey hole, and how the kids are measuring up with their fishing trips!

Anyone interested in a another Northwest Minnesota Summer League again this year?

We'll I am very slowly working on the second year of the league. My brother now lives in town and wants to fish in all the events this summer so I am waiting on his schedule before I throw out some dates. As for the river my guess is right in the middle of April for ice out.

Hi Travis. You know I'll be up for another league this summer. Last summer was fun. I think you should shoot for one event, per month, on a different body of water, for maybe 5-6 months? May, June, July, August, Sept, and Oct?

Probably pretty much impossible to try and mesh with everyone's best schedule time, so just lay something out there and folks will show up if they can, and won't if they can't. Last year we gave up too much fishing time trying to figure out which dates and times might work best for everyone.

Unless we see some significant warming soon, mid-April might even be a little early for a river break up! It's NASTY out there today! frown

The 60-70 hour work-weeks have me dreaming...at best! I still have most of my ice gear ready to rock if I find an afternoon one day, but I am determined to get my wife up to the Rainy to do some sturgeon fishing again this year. Now that I have side imaging I was intrigued by a clip on the show We Love It when the kid from the Lindner program located schools of sturgeon with side imaging. Either way, last year was historic for late ice out and we are behind schedule from last year! A good stretch of 50 degrees would change that quick though!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I'll be dog-gone! My first prediction for river ice-out was right on!

Had the great pleasure of watching the ice go out yesterday behind our place. Not sure yet if the ice has gone out above the dam in town as I haven't been up there yet, but it's always cool to see the ice go, and stand next to the river witnessing all that power! I never get tired of watching those huge chunks of ice crash together, roll over in the current, and rip the shoreline to shreds as it moves down river.

Now we wait for the water to warm, and the fish to cooperate! Looking forward to the first time I can prop the long rods in the holders, sit back by the campfire and roast the first dogs, fruit pies, and smore's of the season! wink

Good to see open water again after such a long tough winter! Happy times!

I haven't been out the Red Lake River, but I drive past a few spots of the Thief daily. There's a couple spots where the river is running pretty freely--mainly where there's bigger drainage ditches coming in.

The ice was still solid in town as of this morning, the water is just running under it.

• 3 weeks later...

If I still lived there, I would be fishing this league for sure... It's good to see someone is starting something like this finally. Always thought it would be cool, just never had the motivation to do it myself. Way to go.

Sam, how are things up your way?

Hey Shannon! Things are shaping up pretty good. Yeah, this league is kind of a nice deal. Really laid back, and just kinda fun to fish a little new water now and again. Hoping to see a few more boats this year.

River is wide open now, and the water levels have stayed up nicely over the last couple weeks, so I'm anticipating a pretty good opener. Surprisingly, we've already had crawlers up at our place, so that's a really good sign. Think I'll go down to the honey hole this weekend and see what'll bite on a crawler.

How's everything in Ohio? Find any catfish over there yet?