• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2014 HSO Sturgeon Excursion

The 2014 HSO Sturgeon Excursion will be on April 24th-27th

We have made arrangements for lodging at Sportsman's Lodge, and Riverbend Resort. Please call and reserve your rooms soon, because they will book up fast once the weather starts to warm.

I figured we could all meet up Saturday evening about 7:30pm at Sportsman's Lodge for food, cocktails, and to just brag about the big ones we all caught.

I am sure throughout the weekend, we will all run into each other, and I am sure we will be meeting nightly in one of the establishments, to discuss technique, and hotspots.

This really is the one can't miss event of the year! Where else can you catch a 100lb fish in MN?

Sportsman's Lodge for $40 per person per night

3244 Bur Oak Rd NW, Baudette, MN 56623

(218) 634-1342

http://sportsmanslodges.com/rainyriver/

Riverbend Resort for $35 per person per night

3343 Red Oak Rd NW, Baudette, MN 56623

(218) 634-3084

http://riverbendresortlow.com/

full-17556-43110-travs57x25sturgeon.jpg

Can't wait! I have never tried fishing for sturgeon before but I have always wanted to! Should be a blast and a little vacation from work and home.

Mike, it will be so addicting, you wont ever go back to fishing pan fish wink

This really is that cant miss event. If you have any questions, or are on the fence, and want some details, just ask!

If you plan on going, post on here, so we can get a role call, and figure out how many are all going. Maybe include how many in your party are going, and if you have room for another in your boat.

My party will have 2 boats, and 7 people, maybe 8 people.

Just booked at Riverbend, Three of us going this year with maybe a fourth. Scott, let's try to plan something where we have an optional meeting place each night where we can swap stories and what is working.

I will be attending with 3-5 people, 2 are on the fence. We will be setting up reservations at rivers bend. Looking forward to seeing everyone up there! And I'm defiantly down for that meeting place daily!

Is anyone bringing wives or girl friends up? Mine is thinking about coming, but doesnt want to be the only one.

We may have 3 females in our group my 2 cousins and one of her friends. But those are the "maybes" in our group. So im not sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Less then a month away, I cant wait! I have the boat out of storage, I will be packing bearings, and getting changing engine oil. Putting new line on the poles, getting excited!

Less then a month away, I cant wait! I have the boat out of storage, I will be packing bearings, and getting changing engine oil. Putting new line on the poles, getting excited!

+1 to that! I cant wait to hook into a HOG! Its going to be a fun trip!

Hurry and set your reservations! Riverbend is now filled up for that weekend, be sure to call sportsmans lodge and set it up!

im in booked at sportsman with two other guys.. this will be all of our first times!!! super excited

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

anyone looking for boat mooches?

I'm going to try having the bait shop in shields order a flat of he can. Lol Royce!

I am getting excited for this. I plan on getting the boat ready this week, since mother nature will give me a couple nice days to work on it. Then I just have to get the new line on the poles. I am still thinking we all meet up at Riverbend Friday evening, say at 8pm, then Saturday evening at 730pm at Sportsmans Lodge. Share stories, and tips.

Gordie and I have our reservations made. This will be my first trip for this so I'm really excited.

Awesome! We are starting to get a decent group going up. I am in the process now of getting my boat ready, I just ordered new line for my poles, crawlers are on order, I am pumped!

It may be a little rough, going from 1 lb panfish, to prehistorical 100 pound fish. But I will adjust quickly smile

It may be a little rough, going from 1 lb panfish, to prehistorical 100 pound fish. But I will adjust quickly smile

Yes, But that will make that first one seem THAT much bigger! I think I could have a 10 lb'er on and feel like its a beast after ice fishing pannies the past few months! LOL! Cant wait! It WILL be interesting to see how bad my casting will be after the long winter.

I have a group of ~30 coming up for the 8th or 9th year in a row. My boat will be there 4/23-4/29 and staying at WigWam. Tis my most anticipated trip every single year. Hope the melt and weather play nicely with our schedule this year. I've been missing the "perfect" week to be there for the past several years.

Tyler, if you arent doing anything Saturday night swing on by the Sportsmans Lodge and shoot the bull with us. Swap some stories. Fish pictures, etc..

I am quoting some tips and packing ideas from Scotts post to the Facebook event.

The river is open to around the Frontier landing, so we should be hitting the open water sturgeon fishing almost perfectly.

I was asked about gear to bring, or use for fishing sturgeon. So I will make a quick list of gear.

I would start with a good stiff, medium heavy to a heavy rod, a reel that can handle a big fish. I personally fish with 80# Suffix Braid on my catfishing poles, and that is what I will have on my poles for sturgeon fishing. I would think a minimum of 50lb test. These fish will fight, they wont roll on their backs and reel in like a wet sock, like some white tipped fish are known for. I use 5/0 Octopus hooks, but you can get by with 4/0, or 6/0, or even J hooks. I would recommend a variety, in case you have troubles hooking them, then you can switch it up a bit. As for weights, it will totally depend on the amount of current you are fishing in. Use just enough to keep your bait from moving around. That maybe 3oz up to 12oz.I would also recommend a big net to get the fish into the boat. You would hate to catch your once in a life time fish, and have it snap your line at the side of the boat, because you didnt have a net to get it in the boat for a picture. I would strongly recommend some sort of GPS, the Canadian border does follow the river on certain stretches, and you dont want to be caught fishing in Canada when the Canadian border patrol decides to make their rounds. They will be using a GPS to tell which boats are over the border, and they will go off of that. Error on the side of the states if you dont want a ticket.

Then the obvious stuff, rain coat, warm coat, and bibs, gloves. I personally bring a gas grill to cook up a warm meal when in the boat. It sure beats sandwiches. Fish bite day and night, so if you plan on night fishing, make sure your boat lights work, and bring a decent navigation light, spot light.

Bring a lot of bait. I usually recommend about 2 dozen crawlers per person per day you will be there, and this is on the light side. They do sell them up there, but I wouldnt bet my fishing trip on finding them at a reasonable price near the river. Minnows also work well globbed on a hook, or even a combination of them.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask, I will Do my best to answer them."

I hope to run into you up there Brett! We are planning on meeting at Sportsmans Lodge Saturday night to shoot the bull, and tell fish stories. I also figured we would meet up sometime Friday night at Riverbend just to see whats working, and whats not.

ill be up there with a two other "geeks" 24-28 staying at wigwam

That where Gordie and I will be 24th-27th

It was greaat to talk to some of you out there this past weekend, lot's of boats.....great fishing! Wish the wind would have moderated a bit, but nevertheless, had a blast!

Had a great stay at the AmericInn in Baudette, and great meal at Rosealie's!

I managed to hook in to 8..... here are the longest ones.... a 59" and a 59.75"

See you next weekend AGAIN!

RB59inApr262014_zps81a19e65.jpg

RB5975inApr262014_zps92ff2f89.jpg