• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Beginner to se trout streams

I have never trout fished the area and was wondering where you guys think is the best area to start. Don't need a secret spot just an idea on which town or river system I should focus on.

Thanks!

I'd start in Whitewater State Park. Almost any of the branches of the river can be very good. I usually fish the north or south branch, but my best day ever for numbers was the middle branch right around the campground where I literally caught browns one after another. I'm not sure how you'll be fishing, but I've fished with both flies and spinners and have always done much better flyfishing in SE MN.

Good luck!!

Be sure and check out the Root River as well. Chatfield, Preston, Lanesboro, and Forestville State Park are good places to start.

Soon Now grin

full-255-43172-root1.jpg

Don't forget south branch of whitewater, Trout run, etc... Hard to pick a bad spot that is open imho. Not a spinner, or fly guy. I usually looked for deeper holes and used a small 1/64-1/32 ounce jig with waxies/maggots/plastic and hopped along bottom. Many 75+ plus fish days, occasionally only 20 fish days, super dirty or clear water led to tougher days, anything in between was the best for me. Granted that was 10 plus years ago in early catch and release winter fishing days, but I doubt much has changed, outside of a current rivers population.

Good Luck