• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2014 Rainy open water thread

Time to start the Rainy river thread hope the river will be open before the close of the April 14th walleye season!?

MR

Looking forward to be up there. I believe we will be able to fish Birchdale first week in April. Last year they were pushing boats out of there the last week in march.

Birchdale Historic Ice Out Dates:

'12 March 18

'11 March 22nd

‘10 March 9th

‘09 March 24th

‘08 was March 28th

‘07 was April 1st

‘06 was March 17th

‘05 was March 24th

‘04 was March 22nd

We're scheduled to be on the ice the weekend of March 21st.... if the ice doesn't cooperate, thinking about a backup plan. Is that way too early to think about Rainy River and open water? Never fished Rainy before, but have heard the legends!

Lots of good news bad news scenarios on the river.

There have been several years I've been amazed the ice has been out on the river in March and this will be another one. But history shows that the ice will likely be out in March.

Based on Accuweather's forecast leading up to March 21st open water looks questionable but it's hard to put much stock in forecasts even 10 days out. Several times in the last 2 months they've predicted warm ups or at least normal temps 10-15 days ahead and then the reality has been considerable colder than the predictions.

There's still 28" of snow on the ground and I don't see that going down at all until this Sunday. Again they're predicting normal temps or slightly above after that. The good part of lots of snow cover the last 3 months is there's less ice than there should be with 72 days below 0 since Dec. 4.

I just book marked ClementsonAccessOnRainyRiver Resort for ice-out updates but nothing yet to report.

mr

im heading up march 31st. will have the boat and ice gear. last year I was up the first two weeks of april and ice fished lotw the first day I was there and was in the water out of birchdale the rest of the time. have a feeling it will be the same as last year. cant wait!

iceman

Better be praying that the massive amount of snow doesn't melt first. That'll ruin everything. I too believe ice will go off the the current will be too great to see any fish up that far.

The fish will be up the river probably more so in strong current than weak current. It's their instinct. The quality of fishing, though, depends on the temperatures which are going to affect the rate of snowmelt and also whether or not we get alot of rain will have an effect. Muddy, high turbidity water can also have a negative affect on fishing. There's alot of ice to melt also and time may become a factor too. Right now it's wait and see.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to say it but I am starting to lose faith. According to my phone it was -15 this morning. Later this week, while most of MN will be pushing 50, Baudette is forecast to barely break 32. Next weekend is basically April 1 already.

I am still hoping for the best, just not sure how all this snow and ice can disappear? At this rate, when it finally does open for big boats it will be an absolute zoo even by Rainy standards.

I hope I am wrong? Anyone else worried?

I hate to say it but I am starting to lose faith. According to my phone it was -15 this morning. Later this week, while most of MN will be pushing 50, Baudette is forecast to barely break 32. Next weekend is basically April 1 already.

I am still hoping for the best, just not sure how all this snow and ice can disappear? At this rate, when it finally does open for big boats it will be an absolute zoo even by Rainy standards.

I hope I am wrong? Anyone else worried?

This is how I feel as well. Assuming it will be very late and a zoo is probably going to be reality.

Approximately 21 days left of the walleye season. I think it is safe to say there won't be considerable open water progress next week through 3/28 with lows around 0 for the next few nights. Landings and shorelines are still loaded with deep snow.

With the open water about 20 miles from Birchdale, it could take 10 days of good weather to make it there. That puts it around 4/7-4/8. Assuming the county does what they've done in the past to clear the landing of snow and shore ice, it's going to be right at the end.

Now if we start seeing some 60 degree days it could be a different story, but being real about where the river currently is and what the weather dudes are telling us, it's going to be very close. And if it's close it'll be a zoo.

i was thinking the same thing. I as scheduled to be up there april 5-8 but may have to move it back to the following weekend. Looking at past threads and the forecast, I don't think it will even be to Birchdale by the 5th.

Mark me down as saying there will be less than 5 days of big boats at Birchdale. Hope I'm wrong.

I'll second Uncle Ricos' prediction...would love to be wrong, but...

btw, Uncle Rico...love the avatar....lol!! Classic character!

Dtro, that must be a pic by Loman. Or is it an early April Fools pic?

no that was an actual pic. I believe just upstream of the forks

I guessing that closer to the lake could/should be better but is the fishing up river this far still good? This access is near the hwy 71-hwy 11 intersection correct?

Pelland is over by International Falls, MN

My husband went out and took pictures just after 4 PM...If you would like to stay updated we do have a separate post on this forum informing everyone of the conditions.

Here is a picture of 17.8 Miles where the open water pretty much ends east of Birchdale Landing:

full-40547-43838-march26(3).jpg

Kuttes Landing in Pelland which is 30.5 miles East of Birchdale Landing:

full-40547-43840-march26(6).jpg

I guessing that closer to the lake could/should be better but is the fishing up river this far still good? This access is near the hwy 71-hwy 11 intersection correct?

That is correct.

There will be some resident fish there but very few to no lake run yet.

I heard they're opening up the Dam in I-Falls soon. Should help with the ice but is going to kill the bite.

100_0762_zps2b9628ec.jpg

Vidas Landing today

100_0763_zps560a1977.jpg

Before Frontier

100_0765_zpsf47f8d63.jpg

Frontier landing

100_0766_zps35b337e0.jpg

Birchdale landing - Small parking area not plowed and had No Camping signs posted - none of the campground was plowed.

100_0768_zpsd863dcb4.jpg

Looking east from Birchdale

100_0769_zpsb3fd5f72.jpg

FJ state park

100_0770_zpsf9ef84f0.jpg

FJ state park landing

100_0772_zps43ef63a3.jpg

Mile marker 164 west of Lohman

100_0773_zps61ddf2b9.jpg

About a mile west of Lohman

100_0774_zpsd30eaf80.jpg

West of Lohman

100_0775_zps242e51c3.jpg

Bigfork river looking north

100_0777_zps65764fe7.jpg

Bigfork River looking north

100_0778_zps1c5724e8.jpg

Between BigFork and LittleFork

100_0781_zps59d6bfd0.jpg

LittleFork River bridge looking north

All these pics are from this afternoon. Above you can see the Pelland landing as of today. The landing in I.Falls behind Hardees has snow waist deep.

Weather reports call for a significant snow storm Monday. Looks like another late spring.

Man this winter sucks big time, need my sturgie fix. Last year was great... got out there before the crazy current started, hope to do the same this year.

ClementsonAccessOnRainyRiver Resort had an update on their Facebook page today. Looks like some progress but still a ways from Birchdale. 10-20 inches (seriously) of snow forecasted for tomorrow.

It kinda looks like it's not gonna happen this year ? Maybe a day or 3 of small boats over shore ice who knows.

These late springs do make for awesome fishing come opener on the lake in the right spots though. Deck of the boat be covered in spawn and milt again this year I'd bet.