• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New Mobile License option

DTro

www.dnr.state.mn.us/buyalicense

Hunting and fishing customers can now purchase some hunting and fishing license types on their mobile devices. Any license that requires a site tag such as deer or turkey is not available for mobile purchase.

Once a customer purchases and receives mobile license information by text, email or both, he or she must be able to provide the email or text information to an enforcement officer upon request as proof of a valid license.

Mobile device users will automatically be identified when visiting the DNR website at mndnr.gov/buyalicense and selecting the "Purchase" button at the bottom of the page.

This is a nice option for those of us that carry our phone with us all the time anyways.  No more paper copies to lose.   Since my license expires today, I just gave it a shot and it works great.   The fee was a modest $1.08 and saves me the trouble of stopping at a license station.

I downloaded a PDF to my phone, got a text confirmation, and also email confirmation and made a little more room in my wallet.

It literally took me about 5 minutes

Nice. Can one print out the PDF for times when you're in the BWCA or other places without internet access (or a desire to have your phone nearby)?

DTro - Thanks. I am not a smartphone owner so I downloaded my licenses as pdf and printed it two-up and that made them have the size. The straight print ends up being about a half sheet of paper. Then I laminated it with clear shipping tape.

I just did this as well. How is the pdf valid on your phone if it's not signed as indicated as a requirement on the license?

I just did this as well. How is the pdf valid on your phone if it's not signed as indicated as a requirement on the license?

Right - and how was this not valid in years past by showing a copy of your license via email/PDF off or your phone when purchased over the computer?

Not sure about the signing thing, but I’m pretty sure I don’t care either.  smile         

All I know is what it says in black and white on their website and that proof of my license will now be stored on my phone, on my gmail account, or on their server

I called the dnr today and they said all you need is the PDF, email or text. No signature is required.

I'd have a hard copy with me. CO might allow you to provide proof at a later date that you actually have one, but maybe not. Being electronic doesn't make it the end all answer to having a license. smile

Did mine about an hour ago, my info was all correct but when I print it half of the info is missing and still have got no email or text?

• 4 weeks later...

Did mine about an hour ago, my info was all correct but when I print it half of the info is missing and still have got no email or text?

i was able to print mine, but no email or text options, so I guess I will just email it to myself.

You guys inspired me and just did mine as well. Pretty slick. I saved it as Pdf and also emailed myself a copy. No more worrying if I remembered my license of left it in the truck. Awesome.

I'd have a hard copy with me. CO might allow you to provide proof at a later date that you actually have one, but maybe not. Being electronic doesn't make it the end all answer to having a license. smile
You guys are funny and sound like my father. This DOES make it the end all and is the whole point of the technology. Its not 1980 anymore

The nice thing is I can print multiple copies, so I have one in my boat, one in my traveling gear bag, one in the kayak box...

That way I know I have it with me.

Also this way when I travel up north for work and get the "surprise, lets go fishing for the afternoon" I can go without worrying that my license is 200 miles away.

The nice thing is I can print multiple copies, so I have one in my boat, one in my traveling gear bag, one in the kayak box...

That way I know I have it with me.

Also this way when I travel up north for work and get the "surprise, lets go fishing for the afternoon" I can go without worrying that my license is 200 miles away.

Why can't you make multiple copies of the one you buy over the counter it seems to me a copy of that license would be the same as a copy of the internet license.

You guys inspired me and just did mine as well. Pretty slick. I saved it as Pdf and also emailed myself a copy. No more worrying if I remembered my license of left it in the truck. Awesome.

Just don't lose/forget your phone. wink

• 2 weeks later...

I asked a local warden about whether or not a physical printed copy of the license was required now that this new mobile license is available. She said this does not replace the need for a printed copy. Some agents may be fine looking up your information without the printed copy but she said its still required.

Perhaps that CO should read the news release that her dept issued.

http://news.dnr.state.mn.us/2013/07/29/minnesota-fishing-and-hunting-licenses-go-mobile/

Customers who purchase off the mobile site won’t receive a conventional paper license. Instead, they’ll receive a text message or email that serves as proof of a valid fish or game license to state conservation officers.

Once a customer purchases and receives mobile license information by text, email or both, he or she must be able to provide the email or text information to a DNR enforcement officer upon request as proof of a valid license.

......unless you do not receive a text or email. Anyone else have this happen? Am assuming my license status would be accessible to a CO? Would I still get a ticket without any "proof" other than the proverbial "my dog ate it".....even though they could kind of confirm my story?

Dtro not disagreeing with what the press release says but why leave anything to interpretation? If it causes more confusion or inconvenience I'm just going to print mine and be done with it.

I understand that and people can do whatever they want. I'm just saying that the whole reason I did this is so that I had one less thing to carry.

Based on that press release I know I'm covered so I don't plan on printing anything.

......unless you do not receive a text or email. Anyone else have this happen? Am assuming my license status would be accessible to a CO? Would I still get a ticket without any "proof" other than the proverbial "my dog ate it".....even though they could kind of confirm my story?

I never got the text either. Ended up printing it anyway to fatten the wallet with the other 15 licenses- which defeats the purpose. I'm not surprised some CO's aren't up on it.