• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cabin Opening?

tadpole

Question

I cann't stand it any longer, I am coming up North this weekend to open my cabin. It is in Hackensack. Am I to early, should I winterize the lines ect again? Could I risk leaving the heat on say 60? Any suggestions, ideas, comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
Tad

7 answers to this question

Hey Tad. Need some more info. You drain your lines? Anti freeze them? What type of heat plant do you run? Are water pipes in a basement or crawlspace below the cabin?

chunk

During the winter we turn the heat down to 50. That's all you should need it at.

I blew out all my lines in the fall. Winterized the whole cabin. (actually it is a year round home but I only use it in the spring, summer & fall.) I purchased it last August. I have a basement with gas heat. In the basement I have a electric heater 220 W/blower I left it on all winter (low setting) I should arrive up north Friday night. I told my 14 year old that the girls would be out on the beaches!?!?!? Can I leave it open. I should be up twice a month until May then almost every weekend.

Help
Tad

Tad, you should be fine. Keep the basement at 50 though and leave the water running a trickle.

chunk

I was going to post this question too. I have a little different scenario. Got a cabin in December. Went up late March. Used things but still did the antifreeze on the pipes and things when I left. I am in the Brule area in WI. How soon can I leave it open with no treatments?

Do not want to come back to a big mess.

You know as well as I that mother nature can be unpredictable. As an electrician, I've done some calls regarding middle of winter freeze ups and they're not pretty. What we've starting pushing with seasonal cabin owners is off-peak storage units. Initial cost can be high but you can keep your cabin at 45 degrees all winter for very little cost. If you have phone service at your cabin, you can purchase an auto-dialer with temp sensor for added security. As far as predicting when it's safe to leave the cabin up, opener maybe?

chunk