• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fly Fishing Largemouth bass

G3GUY

Any streamer. Keep 'em 3-4'', I haven't had luck with large streamers and LMB. Woolly buggers and meat whistles are good, but I tie up weird oddball things with no name and have just as good luck. Get some that are "fishy", get some that are "crayfishy" and weighted a bit to drag on the bottom.

Poppers/divers of all sizes, I actually really like targeting 2-3lb LMB with panfish poppers and my 4wt. I like 'em leggy.

There are plenty of oddball flies out there that mimic soft plastics, specifically worms and stickbaits. These are awesome, and the best part is they don't get torn up (for me) as fast as soft plastics. Google is your friend here. I'm intent on trying a senko imitation next year, along with a cone-head worm that has a bit of floating foam attached to the rear of the tail so it stands on end and can be hopped on the bottom.

Black. Black and purple. Chartreuse and Black. Yellow and White. Brown and Purple.

But the REAL way to fish LMB's is with poppers!!

• 1 month later...

Same colors as the wet patterns. Something bright is fun. Just plain white with a few strands of sparkle is fine.

I have caught lmb on Dahlberg divers and some deer hair frogs. I usually use a larger popper with rubber legs not sure color matters. Top water is the most fun. Wooly buggers are effective also unless there are a lot of small pike around. They tend to cut you off.

Mwal

Ok, I don't mind pike hitting my bait..as long as it's not a bullhead I'm fine..otherwise anything that bites is game for me. Do y'all tie poppers at all? If so how? I have seem them pretty reasonable at gander mtn. so I probably don't even need to tie them..just think it'd help count down the days to ice out..I guess I need to tie up some white wooly's as well.

I tie wooly buggers and some nymphs. I have never tried tying poppers. I steelhead fish with nymphs a lot and go through a ton. I started buying them online at this website the price is right the quality and service is good I cannot build them for my time and materials for their pricing. They also have a good selection of bass popper and flies. Look up the Angler's Dream Flyshop I have been using them for about 4 years.

Mwal

Check out the What Have You Been Tying Lately thread. Lots of good flies in there that will work for largemouth. Don't limit yourself to poppers only. I've caught more on wollybuggers and rabbit strip flies than anything else.

I have seem them pretty reasonable at gander mtn. so I probably don't even need to tie them..just think it'd help count down the days to ice out..

As I said once before, google is your friend here, but I'll echo your sentiment that they are reasonable at retail price. Any feathers are torn out, many of the rubber legs are chomped in half, and some of the paint is missing, but the poppers in my box still catch lots of fish. Heck, being half eaten may make them catch more fish for all I know. I buy all my poppers and keep my tying for the other stuff.

Ditto @ onafly for trying other flies. I catch more LMB with streamers, and I DEFINITELY catch more pike with streamers. When the bite is on though, poppers are the most fun.

Sweet, I'll tie up some streamers and get some poppers, and thanks, I didn't see that thread!