• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fishing Weekdays During The Spring Walleye Run

Hey guys. So for the last couple years I've been hitting the Rainy at least a couple times each spring to chase sturgeon. I've never done well for walleye up there, but I've never gone as early as a lot of the guys go, and never upriver to the other landings besides Baudette. The main reason being it just seems too hectic for me, the idea of driving half an hour to battle it out with hundreds of other trucks and boats just seemed too much effort. Plus I don't think my dad would appreciate it if I got into a fender bender with his trailer or boat!

So this year I finally don't have classes, and have my weekdays free. I was thinking of taking a couple buddies and heading up for a few weekdays in late March/early April and running up to Cleminson, Frontier, or wherever need be! The idea is going during the weekday will hopefully cut down significantly on the traffic, obviously.

So my two questions right now are about if that hypothesis will hold true, and how much less traffic can my buddies and I reasonably expect? How noticeable of a difference is it? Secondly, we've always stayed at one of the resorts on the Row up by river mouth, since we've always fished later in the season for sturgies. Recommendation on lodging for an upriver trip? I'm thinking a motel in Baudette, or are there any options out of town? How far in advance would you recommend I book? Will there be open rooms during the week? Obviously with not knowing how the spring will play out, the less time between booking and the actual trip, the better.

Thanks for the help guys! Both with the trip, and with helping me relieve some of that cabin fever!!

I was up there last year right when the river opened up and didn't matter if it was the weekend or weekday it was a zoo. get to the landing early around sunrise and the line is not bad.

iceman

Buschpilot how ya been? Made it to LOTW in January will be back up march 31st-April 8th at the wiggy hopefully on the river in the new boat! I'll shoot ya a text tomorrow when I wake up. Still working nights.

Iceman

Thanks for the tips guys! I was kind of expecting those replies, even though I was still hoping! The nice thing is if we do do a weekday trip, it'll be a bunch of us young guys, so sleep won't be that big of an issue if it means skipping some monster walleyes! There aren't any RV campgrounds out East of Baudette are there? I'm pretty sure there isn't but I figured I'd ask!

Any general tips for fishing the spring on the Rainy? I mean I know all the horror stories about getting your truck/trailer/boat hit, and it's not like I've never been to a busy landing before, but what are quality of landings out east at Frontier, Clemenson, etc? Do they have multiple lanes? Docks? I'm guessing not, but I imagine the shoreline around the launch is pretty easy to beach on? Thanks for helping to treat my cabin fever.

Tips are bring every color and size jig you have and LOTS of minnows. And all different kind of plastics. And jig away. The landing all depends on ice. Last year I was using birchdale cause it was the only landing you could get a big boat in. It was very icy. We always had 10 gallons of sand and grit with us Incase we got stuck. The county comes in and clears out the landings and there was also some sand piles at the landing too. At the end of the trip birchdale had two lanes open but just take your time and be careful. The shoreline was covered in ice so very hard to beach the boat but like you said you will have buddies with you. Launch the boat have them motor out front till you can get back to get in the boat. Good luck it's hopefully gonna be a good year and unthinking a gonna set up to have good water clearity and little current perfect for fishing and a lot like last year. We were averaging 70-100 eyes a day by noon and plenty of sturgeon in the afternoon!

Iceman

There might be ice yet this spring. It is going to be 25 below tonight and thru Monday night. Then it is supposed to start a warmup. Keep your fingers crossed. At the top of the page you will see Royal Dutchman Resort. They are on the Rainy River east of Baudette. They are great people and will help you get on fish.

• 2 weeks later...

Weekdays are WAY better than a Wknd. I usually only go during the week now. STill alot of people, but Def. not as bad.

I am guessing that this year is going to be like last year and it won't matter if you come on a weekend or weekday because everyone is going to try to get up here at least once to fish the river. I noticed last year it was busy for about the 11 days that it was open at Birchdale and didn't matter which day of the week it was not to discourage you at all.

We have had a few nice days and tomorrow we are suppose to be in the 30s and the snow is melting around the buildings and we will be checking River Conditions in the future as long as the weather stays nice and things keep melting. I just checked and last year we started checking it March 11, 2013 and found open water east of Birchdale a ways. Grant and I were talking about checking the River Conditions soon and we are just as excited as everyone else and enjoy documenting where it is everyday! Here's to hoping for warm weather and that the river starts opening up soon!