• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Monticello power plant

jigginjim

I went to Montissippi park Saturday morning to check if river is fishable? Lots of ice chunks. Does anybody know when it will on-line again? Too ice filled to fish for now.

Did see several deer, all does.

I went to Montissippi park Saturday morning to check if river is fishable? Lots of ice chunks. Does anybody know when it will on-line again? Too ice filled to fish for now.

Did see several deer, all does.

Just an FYI for those who fish the area but last week the power plant had to go into an emergency shutdown mode, which prevented them from dropping the temp at a controlled rate (5 degrees an hour as required). It went from their normal 70 some degree operating temperature to around 33 degrees in a matter of minutes. Needless to say a major fish kill has happened.

Yikes that is not good. Has this type of shutdown happened in the past? How far downstream would the fish be effected by this drastic drop?

well isnt that just a kick in the nutts. Ive got to imagine they have some kind recourse action program in place they have to follow to replace the fish killed somehow some way?? any idea of what they do and how they get an accurate count on just what species and how many were killed? seems to me it would be virtually impossible to figuire out. so my vote would be put twice as much as what they can closest figuire was lost in funds back into restoration. they sure as helll can afford it.

Yeah it's happened in the past, though I don't know if it has happened during temperatures like we have been experiencing. No idea what distance it will have affected or if they are required to replace any fish, but I guess I'd rather have a few dead fish over a complete radioactive meltdown. wink

but I guess I'd rather have a few dead fish over a complete radioactive meltdown. wink

I dont know man,,depends on how many a few is, as close as fishing this stretch is to my heart its a tough decision on what I would rather have cry

Just saw some pictures posted on another forum. Looks to be mostly catfish and some bass that were affected, no idea how many though.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

well isnt that just a kick in the nutts. Ive got to imagine they have some kind recourse action program in place they have to follow to replace the fish killed somehow some way?? any idea of what they do and how they get an accurate count on just what species and how many were killed? seems to me it would be virtually impossible to figuire out. so my vote would be put twice as much as what they can closest figuire was lost in funds back into restoration. they sure as helll can afford it.

Why would the power plant be responsible to restore the fish? Did they build the plant as a fish management tool? The fish may live around there because of the warmer water but that just means there are more fish most of the time in that area which would not be there unless the plant was there. They didn't build it to increase fish in the river. whistle

wow! Someone is bored and wants to stirr the pot..so yea they dont care about the fish (as well as yourself apparently) but they should be able to use a states natural recource for what they need and when Homer F*cks it all up killing all the hundreds to thousands of fish they attracted to the warmer water they created they should be free and clear and not have to pay any restitution? But yet we value the resource enough to pay officers to patroll the waters making sure you or I dont keep one extra fish over the limit? Wheres that make sense? Do you work for them or have a relative that's on the payroll I'm guessing not wanting them to have a fault here to be that blind to whats right and wrong.

it happened like 3 or 4 years ago during super cold temps to, they do a study and a count and pay a fine and replace the numbers and all is well, it is all part of having the plant there, it happens every so often, think f it this way, without the plant you would not have the excellent fishing in the Monti area to begin with

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

wow! Someone is bored and wants to stirr the pot..so yea they dont care about the fish (as well as yourself apparently) but they should be able to use a states natural recource for what they need and when Homer F*cks it all up killing all the hundreds to thousands of fish they attracted to the warmer water they created they should be free and clear and not have to pay any restitution? But yet we value the resource enough to pay officers to patroll the waters making sure you or I dont keep one extra fish over the limit? Wheres that make sense? Do you work for them or have a relative that's on the payroll I'm guessing not wanting them to have a fault here to be that blind to whats right and wrong.

Where did I say anything about what I think or how I feel? I stated a question. Why would the Power plant be responsible? Of course I like the fishys. I just don't think they are going to hold them responsible for the die off in court! wink

without the plant you would not have the excellent fishing in the Monti area to begin with

totally agree with you. if it was not for both the sherco plant at becker and the nuke plant at monti the river would freeze over solid every year. just go up river of sherco and the river ices over all the way up to the St Cloud dam. the fishing in this area is only good because of the plants. the one thing that people forget is that Excel monitors the water quality coming out of the plants. the water in this area is some of the best water in terms of quality with all the required monitoring by Excel.

it happened like 3 or 4 years ago during super cold temps to, they do a study and a count and pay a fine and replace the numbers and all is well, it is all part of having the plant there, it happens every so often, think f it this way, without the plant you would not have the excellent fishing in the Monti area to begin with

Thanks RiverRat! Figured something was done, just wasn't sure.

the temp change had to be very large to kill fish. Fish normally can take going from warmer water to colder water. but not the opposite.

in the river it is up to a 30 degree drop in the matter of hours, so yes it is rather large, and will kill alot of fish

totally agree with you. if it was not for both the sherco plant at becker and the nuke plant at monti the river would freeze over solid every year. just go up river of sherco and the river ices over all the way up to the St Cloud dam. the fishing in this area is only good because of the plants. the one thing that people forget is that Excel monitors the water quality coming out of the plants. the water in this area is some of the best water in terms of quality with all the required monitoring by Excel.

Brad is correct, come up this way in the winter months. The river is iced up, fishing is limited to a few spots that have enough ice. The only reason that people catch bass in the winter months in that section is because of the power plants keeping the water warm.

Do I think they should be liable for the fish kill, yes, but only to a certain extent. After all, this is the river, fish populations will rebound quickly smile

Shutting down any one of the reactors for maintenance, or in this recent case to repair a pump in the cooling system, is a huge deal. I used to know a guy who was a supervisor at the plant, and let's just say it's a long process to complete those projects. I get it some have an opinion on this temporary fish kill, but I'd rather there isn't another Three Mile Island scenario, up the river from me. Just sayin'. The fish numbers will probably rebound, so it's really no big deal.

without the plant you would not have the excellent fishing in the Monti area to begin with

Not true..........I remember fishing the river as a kid before the plant and fishing was great. Use to be able to catch some nice crappies thru that stretch, now you will be lucky to find one.

if it was not for both the sherco plant at becker and the nuke plant at monti the river would freeze over solid every year. just go up river of sherco and the river ices over all the way up to the St Cloud dam. the fishing in this area is only good because of the plants.

I'm not buying it. how does keeeping it from freezing over make better fishing?? besides the winter access for people to catch them? I dont think the plants have anything to do with it.

I have lived on the Miss. for 15 years a few miles north of the coal plant. Its completely froze over just like most years and the fishing here is just as good as there, I have fished both areas countless times. and as far as water quality coming out Im miles up river to them so that water never see's this stretch. After many years of witnessing Im convinced the fishing is so much better because of the combination of the dnr special restrictions and lower pressure it gets compared to the area lakes. nobody touches it all winter and its real hard for most to get good access in the open water short of wadeing or shore fishing the public spots. not a lot of guys want to risk thier lower unit or deal with canoe/kayak fishing from what I see.

I to have fished the river all my life, and can say without a doubt, the c&r regs and the plant has had a positive effect on the smallie population in the river. Think of it this way, river smallmouth are in probably one of the toughest environments to survive in, floods, drought, current, dealing with everything ona daily basis. The plant takes winter and regulates it, water temps above 40 degrees all winter, extended growing season allowing yoy more time to grow and make it through their first winter, believe it or not the plant has a positive affect on the fish.

Anyone have the latest one what's going on with the plant? Is it back on? Would love to be able to hit it again before the season closes.

Nope. Still shut down as of this morning according to the nrc.gov website. Shows it at 0%. I wonder how long it will take for the ice to melt after it is on line again. And don't say, "July".

Event Reports

Wish I would have seen this last Sunday! Made a post in the Monti thread, but figured I'd throw it here too. Hiked it up to the power lines Sunday the 2nd and a good 10' ice shelf extends out from shore up there, otherwise pretty much iced over completely downriver. Plus the ice chunks in the open channel would make it not possible to cast a bait.

I wonder how the die off compares to the amount of sm bass killed by swallowing hooks with sucker minnows? Just sayin.

I wonder how the die off compares to the amount of sm bass killed by swallowing hooks with sucker minnows? Just sayin.

+1000000000

How much baitfish/forage you think died off as well? Seems if we have another long winter and a good amount of the minnows that seek that warmer water are gone, seeming they wouldn't be able to handle the change in temp. nearly as well as the larger fish, could have a really good bite come spring time. Tell you what either way, once that water opens up I am trying out my new waders for sure! Just hope its by closer

You mean crappie minnows right? That's what they tell me they are using in March and April.

River is clear as of Saturday Afternoon.