• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Digital Cameras - What do you use

RuKiddingMe

Question

I just picked up my first digital camera recently, I decided to go a little higher end in hopes of getting many years of use. I got the Canon A80, what do the rest of you use?

RU

15 answers to this question

minolta dimage400
it's a great camera. uses AA batteries, so if my rechargables run out, I always have backups. And it uses compactflash, which is more the standard for memory cards. And I can do a 60 sec video with sound. 6x optical zoom. IMHO, it's the best 4.0 MP camera out there.

BTW, if you get a digital, try not to settle for anything less then 4 MP.

obj17geo17pg1p6.png

[This message has been edited by big_fish_guy (edited 03-17-2004).]

Canon Power Shot G2. The motherboard went out the first week but it has worked great since. Really good for digital movies.

Funny you bring this up as I am currently looking for one. I have a Toshiba 2.3 MP now and am thinking of upgrading.
From what I have found the Olympus stylus 400 (4 MP) is a good outdoors camera as it is "weatherproof". I checked it out and it seems very well built "beefy feel" yet very small. Anyone else have this one??

I was also looking at getting a Olympus stylus 400 from cabelas. I get some gift certificates to use so I might get a good digital camera.
Anybody got any pros and cons on this camera.

------------------
AKA PikeEye 300
And keep those hooks sharp!

They have a super deal going on this week (3-21) at Office Depot on the Kodak DX6340. It's 3.2 MP with 4X optical zoom and movie mode(with audio). I couldn't pass it up. Reg price was 279. It was on sale for 249 minus 50 mail in rebate and bonus 50 gift card. The cashier let me use the gift card on the purchase so after mail in, camera costed me 149. Can't beat it.
Also it's a good digicam it's currently ranked 3rd on PCWorld.

dtro that sounds like a pretty good deal have you got to try it yet?Does anyone else have one of these?

I've messed around with it a bit and compared to my old toshiba 2.3 MP I am very impressed. The zoom is unmatched in this size camera. It's 4X optical and 4X digital. I wrote off the digital part, but after trying it, you don't lose a whole lot even at 14X.
I bought a 128mb SD card and can get nearly 8.5 minutes of video and audio. It's not camcoder quality, but it's good.
Another bonus is that if you need a printer you can get another $50 off if you buy an HP printer for at least $149.

[This message has been edited by dtro (edited 03-23-2004).]

dtro these cameras cant be to bad I went to pick one up and most stores are sold out of them but they are going to order me one.I am also going to get the 128 chip.I noticed there was 2 brands of chips that will work in it one was $65 and the other was $70 what one did you get?Recommend?Did you get the dock station?They say it is not necessary but makes it easier to transfer pics.

I bought the memory at walmart 128 mg SD (secured digital). Lexar was the brand. It was on sale I believe for $48. I did not buy the docking station as the usb cable and the easyshare software works great. The only reason I would recommend the dock is that it comes with a rechargeable battery and you can just "dock" the camera when not in use and it charges it. I just bought some NiMH rechargeables and they work fine.

The Canon A 80 is a great camera. I have been shooting heavy with it this last month and the features it offers are amazing. The 11 power digital zoom is awesome as long as a tripod is used, I was expecting a very grainy picture on this setting and it is not. Check out my picture in the Ice fishing forum under "Time for open water?" I have two sets of the rechargeable Powercells, and the AC adapter for down loading however with the way the powercells last I don't think I needed it. Yes the CF card at Wal-Mart is an excellent price. Otherwise on line is the way to go for buying the cards. I have 3 128 cards, I chose this size rather then a big one putting all my eggs in one basket. They do go to pots from time to time. Everyone has their own needs and price range but the A 80 is more camera then 90 % of the people will ever need.I know the Olympus cameras are also highly recommended. The one thing that is hard for a lot of people is getting and keeping in the digital mind set. Take lots of pictures! With the film cameras a person would only shoot a roll or two a day. With these digitals I will often shoot 200-300 in a day.

WS

I have a Kodak EasyShare DX4900 digital camera that works great. I has 4.0 mega pixals and 2x optical zoom plus digital zoom.
Just happened to have the camera with me when I read this post.
I have a picture to show if only I new how to put it on this post!
How do you use your UBB code? confused.gif

[This message has been edited by Finlander (edited 03-24-2004).]

I have an HP PhotoSmart 215 I picked up at an auction for $50.00. It works great. I'm sure most of you know this, but I was told that if you do not use the screen (image) on the cameras you can really save the batteries.

Just got a SiPix sc-3300 on sale for $79 at Unity Electronics (use camera01 in the code box during checkout for a $30 discount on the $99 price, expires 4/15/04). Its 3.1 MP, no optical zoom, but does have 3X digital zoom, 4 shot continuous mode, built in flash and tons of features. It also takes up to 30 MINUTES of video when using a 128 CF card (camera comes w/16mb) but has a CF card slot. For the price I don't think you can beat it.