• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Wakanda and Big Kandi

I couldn’t agree more with stocking the small lakes that are susceptible to winter kill, however, to my knowledge kandi doesn’t have this issue. I still stand by this as the LEADING cause to why lakes have small numbers of fish. No restrictions! It wasn’t but 2 years ago Big Kandiyohi was full of 13-14 in walleys, word got out that there were “too many” in there and everyone was keeping them, now this last winter/summer fishing out there was dreadful. Why not reduce the limit from 6 to 4 and anything smaller than 15” and larger than 20” must be released (1 over 27” may be kept)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mulefarm

• King Canada

• jentz

• RumRiverRat

There's way to many fisherpeople who hear of a bite and flock to that lake.Even before the internet this was widespread.Maybe we're trained to get the easy ones and get them while you can.Then the lake is fished out.The shoreowners and locals take that to the DNR and the lake gets stocked after a netting assessment.

The DNR should classify these lakes as put and take lake, if they keep stocking so often Thats what is happening.They will never be trophy lakes so classify them as so.They have classified kids ponds that anyone can fish,Trophy waters,specific specie lakes that are only managed for a specie or two.

Spend all that money and deplete the stocking of lakes that can handle and will help a natural lake.Then waste on lakes they know need stocked everyother year.

BigKandi and many other lakes dont need eyes! stock what was natural.Save some fry,fingerlings that means $$ for other programs! But the walleye is king and should be in every lake and on each plate of every minnesota household!!

Another good point is some lakes do not have any natural reproduction and are what some call a "put and take lake". Which is just fine in my opinion but opens up the point, do we need walleye in every lake? My opinion is we obviously don't need to have walleye in every lake however the lakes that can suppport it is fine (especially the ones I like to fish) The lakes where they have 90% winterkill every 2-3 years is wasteful.

Look at Diamond,natural reproduction for eyes.low on eyes and nords real low on nords!! no stocking unless you call 9-2 lb average nothern as stocking.No eyes because they wait for nature to fulfill its ways!! Take eyes and throw them in Green because of the name,wakanda,big kandi,Lillian,floridia,nest all the lakes that can't hold a population!!! Then complain their short on $$ and increase fees!Vicious circle is all it is

yup here is what was put in 2013

Diamond - 34004400

Walleye - 33,889 fingerlings weighing 1,405.0 lbs

Thats true when before 2013 were any fish stocked? Then look at the other lakes this 2013

Big Kandiyohi - 34008600

Northern Pike - 360 fingerlings weighing 180.0 lbs.

Walleye - 2,020,954 fry weighing 19.0 lbs.

Big Kandiyohi - 34008600

Northern Pike - 2,245 fingerlings weighing 34.5 lbs.

Big Kandiyohi - 34008600

Black Crappie - 1,248 adults weighing 312.0 lbs.

Walleye - 2,019,513 fry weighing 17.7 lbs.

Big Kandiyohi - 34008600

Black Crappie - 1,444 adults weighing 361.0 lbs.

Northern Pike - 34 adults weighing 34.0 lbs.

NO Mention of diamond maybe it was stocked in 2008

Big Kandiyohi - 34008600

Northern Pike - 75 adults weighing 75.0 lbs.

Northern Pike - 7,360 fingerlings weighing 14.7 lbs.

Big Kandiyohi - 34008600

Channel Catfish - 13,541 fingerlings weighing 112.7 lbs.

Northern Pike - 22 adults weighing 44.0 lbs.

Northern Pike - 23,328 fingerlings weighing 46.7 lbs.

Walleye - 2,020,161 fry weighing 19.9 lbs.

AH Theres Diamond stocked in 2008

Diamond - 34004400

Northern Pike - 9 adults weighing 18.0 lbs.

Get the big picture??Why so many fish>I think diamond gets used more by the public

Big Kandiyohi - 34008600

Bluegill Sunfish - 1,498 adults weighing 111.0 lbs.

Northern Pike - 44 adults weighing 88.0 lbs.

Every specie of fish in BigKandi has been stocked with the exception of perch,I only went back to 2007.It almost seems without stocking the lake cant handle a fish population?

I'm confused what you guys are getting at here. Diamond has been a good fishery in the last how many years. The only stocking reports mentioned are the walleyes and few adult northerns in the past years. That last survey I could find was from 2008, to me there has been improvement in Diamond since then. I know a lot of people that have has success pulling up walleyes and northerns out of diamond in the past years... not saying it can't be stocked but why mess with a lake that seems to be doing good. Diamond is one of the lakes I can think of where you can go out in the winter or in the summer and pick up some fish. Seems to me stocking or not stocking the lake is going to effect the lake that much.

MY point is the DNR is creating a false fishery with BigKandi I use as a example there are many others in the area they do the same to.Its expensive when so much other things can be done with those $$.They ignor a good fishery that can and will support the fishes,Yes Diamond is good it could be alot better and why through so much money at a lake that has to be restocked yearly.Couldn't that money be used for lakes that can hold a population of fish without yearly stocking.Then the thought of BK holds northern,crappie and cats well,why not manage for those specie?? Lots of other lakes will take the eyes and they can reproduce,

Ya I see your point. I used to fish BK a lot. Seems to me ever since those stocked fish hit the 13-14 in. People decided to take them. I guess its the greed to bring a fish home instead of throwing them back. BK can be good to until the green scum comes out ( June ). We've had our runs out there but not lately. A shame that the DNR doesn't consider a slot on some of these lakes. No body in their right mind should be able to keep 6 fish of any size in these small lakes. It don't take much to catch your 6 fish in a small lake with stocked fish either when its the right time of year. Word gets out and so do the fish.

People buy walleye stamps so walleye can be stocked. Walleye fry cost next to nothing,so we are not talking about much money at all.

workin'

• 2 weeks later...

Allright!!! Now I can put the dock in next Saturday. We should have the best opener we have had in years. It will warm up nicely ...the spawn will be well over and the fish will be active. Any more that that i won't say on a public forum.

The walleyes will be stacked on the rock point, the rock pile and the sand point.

Should be easy to catch lots of Walleyes on the opener on Big Kandi.

Trolling Husky Jerks and Shallow Shad Raps in front of the inlet should fill your boat with walleyes.

The walleyes will be stacked on the rock point, the rock pile and the sand point.

Should be easy to catch lots of Walleyes on the opener on Big Kandi.

Trolling Husky Jerks and Shallow Shad Raps in front of the inlet should fill your boat with walleyes.

Thanks for the info. What color crankbaits work best?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, there are no more walleyes in Big Kandi. Out of 36 people in the Bonnie Beach great walleye get together, only 5 walleyes were caught. The DNR that was checking everyone on the lake even said no one was catching anything. Plenty of bullheads though.

Well, there are no more walleyes in Big Kandi. Out of 36 people in the Bonnie Beach great walleye get together, only 5 walleyes were caught. The DNR that was checking everyone on the lake even said no one was catching anything. Plenty of bullheads though.
With that assessment no lakes in the area havs eyes in them.Have you looked at bigkandis lake survey results.Its loaded with stocked eyes MILLIONS!!

The weather and water temps played a huge facter this past weekend!

With that assessment no lakes in the area havs eyes in them.Have you looked at bigkandis lake survey results.Its loaded with stocked eyes MILLIONS!!

The weather and water temps played a huge facter this past weekend!

Sarcasm! I know the DNR stocks the lake. Even still, I know people that fish that lake enough and they say the walleye rates have been down the last couple years. The weather and water temp was a big factor.

Sarcasm you bet.The weather has the fish yet near winter haunts.People who fish the lake?? dont we all want to just drop a line and take what we want.Thats what those people are used to!! cant easily get them? Their low in numbers!!Lets stock more! I hate sitting a hour without getting my eyes!No I dont want to learn how to catch them anywhere else their tough on other lakes!

Last DNR netting survey took 18 northerns then 180 walleye.Aint no walleye in that lake.

36 guys in the Bonnie beach tourney is a low number as well.

I remember a couple years with close to 50 guys and over 20 boats.

Marked a lot of baitfish. Saw very few fish caught of any species. Have to be in the right place at the right time.

36 guys in the Bonnie beach tourney is a low number as well.

I remember a couple years with close to 50 guys and over 20 boats.

Most boats were 14 and the most people from the beach fishing were 39. Average number of boats has been 11 with average number of people fishing has been 33.

I have been out 3 times and have yet to catch a Walleye!! I have been fishing the shallow area lakes, hoping with this warmer weather things turn around soon

Water temps just at 55 by Sunday. Nothing for a bite. Had a Loon come up with my minnow...thankfully dropped it when I gave it a tug. Won't have to fight the crowds.

Hey mayor--Same here--On Northern Lights across from you for 30 years this summer. Had real tough opener- One smallie is it. Hope to find something this weekend. Will be in that old super snapper that my dad had. Good luck. It's good to see the loons aagain!!