• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Sturgeon Excursion Date???

MinnesotaMuskie

I have not made the trip for a few years and hope to make it this year with some advance planning.

Has there been a date set for the Sturgeon Excursion 2014?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Not much of a response! I think the usual weekend would be April 19-20 but that's Easter this year. So we are coming on the 25th -27th.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not much for FB but I looked and there wasn't much that I could find. (maybe I'm just incompetent!) Doesn't matter. My wife would never let me go over Easter anyway. The sturgeon will still be there the next weekend and maybe it will be a touch warmer than last year! We're staying at Wheeler's Point.

I am questioning if there will be open water in April for this. I have been wanting to get something cooking for this, this year, but the thick ice has been holding me off. I will do some checking, and see if we can get a date going here.

I am questioning if there will be open water in April for this. I have been wanting to get something cooking for this, this year, but the thick ice has been holding me off. I will do some checking, and see if we can get a date going here.

they dont have the ice up there like we do down here, i talked to a resort up there a week ago and he was thinking mid to late april should be good to go.

Rainy river should be open very close to the 1st of April, even this year. I looked at the ice out dates and April 1st is one of the latest dates in the past 10-12 years. Ton's of ice in that area last year and we were fishing the river the first week of April. Sturg were also going at that time in the Rainy.Here is a data list from another post for Birchdale landing on the Rainy, I realize it also takes some extra time to get to the gap.

Birchdale Historic Ice Out Dates:

'12 March 18

'11 March 22nd

‘10 March 9th

‘09 March 24th

‘08 was March 28th

‘07 was April 1st

‘06 was March 17th

‘05 was March 24th

‘04 was March 22nd

I think to make it more of a sure thing for ice out, and hopefully warmer weather, we will make the dates April 24th-27th.

I have set up accommodations at the Sportsman Lodge, and at Riverbend for the HSO Sturgeon Excursion. If you call there, and inform them you are part of the HSO Sturgeon Excursion group, they will get you gathered into the HSO group, and a special pricing for our group.

When I get all of the details lined up, I will make a new event for it, which will include all of the details, and we can get a list of people that are planning on attending. The more the people, the more fun it is. Also maybe we can list if you have extra room in your boat, for some people that are boatless, or to just save some money and share a ride, and boat together. Hopefully by the end of the week, I will get all the details worked out.

I will have 4 people total in my boat.