• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Here we go again, 4 stroke vs 2 stroke?

Ole1855

Question

I was at the sports show yesterday looking and dreaming about which boat/motor combination I want. I need to give you a little background info. before I ask my question. A few weeks ago I watched a show on TV that did a side-by-side comparison of 225 hp Merc 4 strokes vs 225 hp Merc 2 stroke Optimax. They had a big boat like a Grady White with 2 motors on each, they ran all kinds of comparison test's like speed out of the hole, time to reach top speed, top speed, noise level and fuel consumption. The Optimax beat the 4 stroke in all aspects except top end noise level. Now here's my question, I was talking to a dealer that sold Yamaha motors, he was really pushing his 4 stroke 140 hp. I asked him about the performance and fuel consumption like I saw on the test show. His response was to tell me how much better 4 stroke motor cycles and 4 wheelers are over any 2 stroke on the market. Then he said "keep in mind that it's a Merc commercial and they don't really make a 4 stroke, Yamaha does". I reminded him Merc runs a Yamaha power head on their 4 stroke, and he kinda started to stutter. Then I reminded him I was interested in the 4 stroke outboards only and he really didn't answer any of my questions. Can someone with some REAL 2 stroke, 4 stroke knowledge answer my questions!!! They are pretty simple; Which motor has a better hole shot? Which one has a better top end? Which one consumes less fuel and how much less? How does the maintenance costs compare between the 2?

Thank you to anyone that has REAL experience and can help me out.

Ole

[This message has been edited by Ole1855 (edited 03-08-2004).]

8 answers to this question

I think that the 225 4-stroke is supercharged or turbocharged.

There are several comparison 2 make. A standard 2 stroke. Then there is the direct injection like the optimax, fitch, etc. Then the 4 stroke.

A 2-stroke will be faster than the 4-stroke. The plain 2 stroke will use the most gas. The optimax will be close to the 4-stroke in gas usage/fuel economy. Of course you have to consider the cost of the 2-stroke oil.

I would think the 4-stroke would be the longer lasting engine.

If you do a google search for walleye central, there is a ton of information on this subject. In my opinion, its kind of a Ford-Chevy thing.

The only supercharged motor out is the Mercury Verado. They say that motor will cost around 17 large for just the motor:O

Ole, there is no easy answer to this as both 2 and 4 stroke have advantages and disadvantages.

2 stroke 4 stroke
Cost less Cost more
Louder Quieter
More fuel Less fuel
Shorter life Longer life
Lighter Heavier
Quicker Slower
Smoke No smoke

As a rule a 4 stroke will save you about 30-35% on your fuel bill over a regular 4 stroke if you run a variety of speeds. If you do mostly low speed operation you will save more, and less at mostly higher speeds.

The newer direct injection injection models will save you fuel over a standard 2 stroke. But probably still not quite as good as 4 stroke.

4 strokes typically do not spin up as fast as a 2 stroke due to the fact that they fire only half as often as a 2 stroke. Some of the reputation that they have for being sluggish is also due to the fact that they are quieter and do not sound like they are going as fast. They are typically not as fast to plane or to speed, however it is usually not a huge difference when it is actually clocked.

The best combination of performance and reliability in a direct injection 2 stroke outboard is currently the Yamaha HPDI engines.

The best combination of performance and reliability in a 4 stroke outboard is currently the Suzuki line which comes in with 2 stroke performance and 4 stroke advantages.

grin.gifgrin.gif

Ole, I just went through this whole thing. Had a big post written up for you, but then the da%$ computer crashed. If you want, give me a call, & I'll tell ya what I found out at the show. 763-391-7511

------------------
Takin it easy! & if it’s easy, I’ll take it twice!

kwkfsh,
Thank you. You have answered my questions much better than the dealer I spoke with at the show. I guess one thing I hadn't considered was the fact that the motor life is longer. I'm not as concerned about hole shot but I don't want to loose too much on the top end. What about maintenance? Any ideas here?

Thank again very much.

Ole

There is a lot of information available on this subject. My bottom line... Both direct injected two strokes and four strokes have almost equal performance in all respects except acceleration where the two stroke will excel. I've owned a lot of outboard motors over the years and in the last three years I've owned two Yamaha HPDI's (one was a 150, currently a 200). In my mind the HPDI is the best thing going today.

So tell me.... Is a the OptiMax 115 a 2 stroke, 4 stroke or hybrid? Not so sure with the info on their web site.