• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Spearfishing - Where are you now?

MJ1657

I wouldnt mind going to the third river but not very fond of the water clarity lately. Dunno how it is this year though. 

I’ve only been on the ice once so far this season.  Too many other competing interests/obligations.  I was hoping to cut a hole on that trip but the clarity was terrible so I just stuck to regla fishing.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Gordie is still spearing and he doing okay 

• Thumbs Up 1

last time i seen Gordie, he was helping out a bait shop selling bait when the union did a fishing contest on little elk lake for wounded warriors!!!!!!👍

i speared the 3rd river one year when that spearing forum was going strong, bassnspear, gordie,  that dude that made them funky decoys, the guy, cant remember his name but he always got into a heated arguement with the muskie group. that was a fun group.

that trailer house we had for accomodations at dixon lake resort had alot to be desired though. i brought my grandson along!!!!!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Dorkfish said:

Did you make it up to thrid river this year? Was the clarity poor like years past?

I haven’t been to Third River for several years now.  Winnie proper, yes, probably 4 times/season.  It’s now my wife’s go to lake.  I certainly don’t mind going; we always catch fish.  But I’m the been there, done that kind that would like to check out some other stuff.

Lakes access and road conditions had a lot to do with where we went last year and probably will again this year.  

I did cut one block by our house and got a poke in last year on the lake.  Just a little jig stealer.

1FBB5C7A-E947-42FD-A2B5-70438150080A.thumb.jpeg.fa7ec9239ccca69fd44de08c7044aec0.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 4

with any luck i'll be looking down a spearhole by new years eve!!!!!!!!!!👍 about 35 miles north and east of the third river!!!!!!!!!!!

• Thumbs Up 3

Has anyone heard anything about cass lake. Seemed like it was popular around 2011-12 and then died off. I thought about trying that lake again

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Dorkfish said:

Has anyone heard anything about cass lake. Seemed like it was popular around 2011-12 and then died off. I thought about trying that lake again

Just ducks, muskies, and Mississippi source to sea paddlers lately.  Nothing recent on pike. 

I had a thought to try it out. Was hoping to maybe go out of one of the resorts up there if they were still renting houses. 

maybe better to try mille lacs?

• Thumbs Up 2

47 minutes ago, Dorkfish said:

I had a thought to try it out. Was hoping to maybe go out of one of the resorts up there if they were still renting houses. 

i know when Kim and Rick owned highbanks they rented out spear houses, not sure with the new owners but the new owners worked several years at highbanks!!!!!''Mille Lacs.......???? the last time i entertaines spearing there i think you needed to spear 2 dinky ones before ya could even think of getting a pig!!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Dorkfish said:

Nodak on Winnie rents spear houses and I think Tamarack does also on the east side.  I’m sure there are others too.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dorkfish said:

Wanderer, is the water clarity better on those sides than the river?

well i'm not the world famous Wanderer......🤭but i'll give you my opinion anyway!!!!!!!

i've speared the 3rd river AND the main lake just south of highbanks resort!!!!!!! now its been quite a few years but in my opinion the water clarity was better on the main lake then  the 3rd river!!!!!! but with that being said i didnt think the clarity was all that bad on the 3rd river. i spear some bog stained lakes often do.................. 

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, smurfy said:

well i'm not the world famous Wanderer......🤭but i'll give you my opinion anyway!!!!!!!

i've speared the 3rd river AND the main lake just south of highbanks resort!!!!!!! now its been quite a few years but in my opinion the water clarity was better on the main lake then  the 3rd river!!!!!! but with that being said i didnt think the clarity was all that bad on the 3rd river. i spear some bog stained lakes often do.................. 

the last time i had tried the third river you could see maybe 3 feet down. My wife however enjoys angling through the hole so it has been a bummer to not be able to see the schools come in. 

I haven’t tried the main lake at all however for spearing. Just once or twice  for angling. 

i agree the get togethers used to be enjoyable when the forum was going strong but life events change things from time to time. I do think that some things could’ve been a bit  different than they were. 

I wouldnt mind getting together again with some people again. 

• Thumbs Up 1

@Dorkfish check out Little Winnie resort.  You have to stay to play but their rates seem pretty reasonable.  They shuttle you out on the lake.  No sleds or wheelers.

• Thumbs Up 1