• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Spearfishing - Where are you now?

MJ1657

Well everyone needs to start someplace right???

The good news is I am traveling south with fewer decoys than I had when I arrived yesterday. It was a learning experience but I enjoyed it. Got a lot of tips from long time carvers. Traded a few decoys. And had a lot of compliments.

If you've never been to one if these shows you owe it to yourself to attend one. It's unreal the quality of carvers out there. Mass produced store bought decoys will never hold the same appeal again.

And I still have a pile of decoys for the get together.

• 1 month later...

Wandered out to Green Lake (west of Cambridge) today. A lot of suspended green stuff from surface to bottom. Yuck! Should have taken the "please drive right next to my darkhouse" sign off of the house when I set up. Lots of traffic, only three small pike came in for a look. No wonder there were less spearing shacks there than I remember from the last couple of years.

Wandered out to Green Lake (west of Cambridge) today. A lot of suspended green stuff from surface to bottom. Yuck! Should have taken the "please drive right next to my darkhouse" sign off of the house when I set up. Lots of traffic, only three small pike came in for a look. No wonder there were less spearing shacks there than I remember from the last couple of years.

Most of us couldnt get our houses out of that zoo fast enough.

• 11 months later...

I was only out a couple hours today was sitting in 1.5" of water most the time and the cloudy so I cut it short

• Thumbs Up 2

• 10 months later...

Did anyone pick up any new fun spearing gear over the summer? 

I added to my tong collection a little and added quite a few spears. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I just got to thinking about it after you asked. No... I don't think I did get anything new or new to me this spring or summer. 

Slacking off I guess. 

• Thumbs Up 1

IMG_4224.JPG

the East Central Chapter of the Minnesota Darkhouse & Angling Assiciation is manning the Darkhouse booth at the hardwater show in Blaine this weekend. Stop by and say hello

• Thumbs Up 3

Same to you MJ. 

I'm recovering from my annual thanksgiving torcher episode. Helped my dad with his paper route.  2200 startibune and 1800 pioneer press papers assembled and delivered this morning. 

But I've been given the heads up that there is a 9lb prime rib being prepped for dinner later. 

Happy thanksgiving everyone. 

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Well some lakes are locked up :)

When I left for work yesterday the lake had white caps on it. When I got back 10hrs later it was locked up. An hour after that the first idiot was broke through the landing. If we get the snow they are predicting for Saturday my guess is there will be sleds in the water this weekend. They do it every year. 

Patients people. 

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...

I am in my house scared to look out and see how much snow fell!

• Thumbs Up 1

Just a heads up for next year we did push the GTG back a week to Dec. 8-10.

Edited by MJ1657
  • Thumbs Up 3

Same to you and the rest of you Darkhouse sitters. Keeping the traditions alive. 

Merry Christmas!!!

Thanks MJ - you too.

I finally got a hole cut yesterday.  No luck while exploring a new lake but at least it got the blood flowing again.

Plus I got to swim the last two Grumpy Decoys I acquired.  Been anxious to do that for a while.  I liked how they swam.

I also got to try The Dream Chair for the first time.  It's pretty darn nice even though it's a little camped for my house with the built floor down (hole in the center of my hub house).

Oh, and a new pair of Cabelas Inferno Pac Boots.  Plenty warm but I had an annoying shin rub I have to figure out.

Boy, maybe it was more like Christmas yesterday. :)

IMG_1277.JPG

Edited by Wanderer
  • Thumbs Up 3

Any one finding some pike 

I am one of them

The year has been a bust for me out a handful of times over xmas to new years with a few small fish seen spear is still dry for the year

• The title was changed to Spearfishing - Where are you now?