• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Wild 2013-14 season

yakfisher

Really a bummer that Coyle will miss significant time. He was making a great second line. Here's a chanc for Zucker to step up. Need to find some other scoring beyond the first line.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bear55

• OnAFly

• 10,000 Casts

• CaptainMusky

Isnt that how it usually goes for MN sports teams? The moment you see progress or think you have all the pieces in place, the injury ninja comes in.

Speedy recovery Charlie!!

Have the local papers started calling for Yeo's head yet?

How's Kuemper? I honestly have never seen him play. Sounds like he's our backup for the time being.

Quote:
Have the local papers started calling for Yeo's head yet?

2 ties against very good teams and a 1 goal loss on the first road game of the year... They can give them a few more games before they start throwing the coach under the bus.

On the other hand, heatly needs to start playing better, Zucker's not ready to be up and we seem to have a D problem.

Aside from our ugly record I like what I am seeing so far. Team is playing well but not winning. D does needs to tighten up a bit. Nino has looked good so far, Granlund has been much better too.

Man was that a microcosm of Minnesota sports or what?

Outplay them 5-5, score two PP goals and lose because Nystrom (nice player but not exactly Datsyuk when it comes to skating ability) toe picks and wipes out Backstrom, then gets to take a penalty shot on an ice cold goalie. (By the way, all the "bring Harding in for shootouts" folks - there's what you get with a cold goalie... He had no chance on Erik Nystrom. Think he'd stop Kane, Toews or Clowe?)

Ballard made the turnover that led to the play but still can't pin it on him completely. He got tossed a hand grenade (by Fontaine I think) while playing his off hand, and Nystrom went down pretty easily besides.

I'm still not ready to panic, but the next two - Division and regional rival Jets, then Dallas, both at home - are suddenly awfully big games.

Sad thing is they're playing ok except for the second line. I've tried to defend him but I give up - Heately has been awful, and he's been the common denominator on that line so far. Love to see him moved down to the 3rd line and see a Nino/Granlund/Fontaine line for a while.

PK is kind of a mystery right now too. Lots of good penalty killers (Cooke, Brodziak, Kenopka, Koivu, Parise) but they've been pretty porous.

Same old thing...can't score. Spurgeon's goal was very nice but other than that not too much to be excited about. Agree Heatley is a liability, only time he is effective is when on the PP and others doing the work to get him the puck. My guess is Leopold has Yeo on the hot seat and if they don't get at least one win in the next two he'll pull the plug on him. I am surprised they have not sent a few down and brought a few up, other than Zucker who had to fill Coyle's spot. I'd like to see Yeo go to send a message we cannot tolerate this level of performance.

It'd be one thing if they were getting outplayed badly, but that's not the case. They have outshot each team every game so far this year just need to start burying the puck. That's not on Yeo IMO. Along with that the goal tending has just been average at best, that's the biggest thing that I think has always held this team back.

Agree on Heatly, he looks like he has lead in his skates.

If Heatley would not have gotten injured last season, we would not have him on the team right now. Lousy contract buyout rules.

To clarify, I wasn't calling for Yeo's job, but I'm sure plenty of people on sports talk radio and the paper will, regardless of what they know about hockey. I agree, the team out-shooting and out-chancing opponents while losing is on the players.

BTW anyone see the replay of that Hertl kid's goal? 6 goals in 3 games for a young kid, that's nuts!

If Heatley would not have gotten injured last season, we would not have him on the team right now. Lousy contract buyout rules.

To clarify, I wasn't calling for Yeo's job, but I'm sure plenty of people on sports talk radio and the paper will, regardless of what they know about hockey. I agree, the team out-shooting and out-chancing opponents while losing is on the players.

BTW anyone see the replay of that Hertl kid's goal? 6 goals in 3 games for a young kid, that's nuts!

Ya, San Jose is off to another great start and that 19 yr old is unreal! As far as people calling for Yeo's job "regardless of what they know about hockey"...that could go both ways. Those not calling for his job may not understand Pro sports, easier to change coaches on under-performing teams than get rid of players. With the talent this organization has and the money Leopold has spent the last two years I just don't think Yeo is a good fit for this team. He was good in the minors with kids fighting like crazy to get to the next step but the "Bigs" is a whole new world. We'll know within the next week whether he stays or goes IMO.

OK!! I like what I see...the Shake Up has begun! El Nino moving to 1st line w/Koivu & Parise, Pom moved to 2nd line, Zucker sent back down and Veilleux brought up for the 4th line. Keep them coming, keep them working, find the right combos, start winning.

Little too early to push the panic button as we have a full season this year. Just need to get in and play your best hockey come playoff time (circa LA Kings recently).

I'm with Bear. Last years team got outchanced and outshot often. My only real surprise was seeing Backs in net to start last night. Not that he had played horrible but he hadn't been spectacular either.

Has anyone heard what Backs condition is after last nights incident?

The thing that bothers me most is the goalie situation. The rest looks like it will take some tweaks and we should have something very good.

Losing Coyle so early sure stinks. Last night they played good offensively for the most part without him on the ice.

I like what I see for the most part so far.

Backstrom has been weak in nets, Heatley terrible, the D unstable, The team intensity has been average.

What gets me is the weakness/lack of toughness the team has. I know Konopka has fought in every game, but when Pommer got knocked around after the whistle there was NO ONE jumping in to stand up for him.

Viellew? should help with that and Rupp when he gets back.

I would like to see Yoe get a little fired up on the bench once in a while.

I would like to see Yoe get a little fired up on the bench once in a while.

Apparently you were not watching when Harding got hit in the last game, he was pretty red in the face yelling at the ref about the Wild not getting a powerplay out of it.

Sounds like a little line juggling.

Parise Koivu Nino

Pommers Granlund Heatley

Cooke Brodz Fontain

Spurgie Ballard

Stoner Dumba

Boy Bear55 if that's the lineup we are thin on toughness. Noticed the 4th line wasn't on it but we're a bit soft.

Same old thing...can't score. Spurgeon's goal was very nice but other than that not too much to be excited about. Agree Heatley is a liability, only time he is effective is when on the PP and others doing the work to get him the puck. My guess is Leopold has Yeo on the hot seat and if they don't get at least one win in the next two he'll pull the plug on him. I am surprised they have not sent a few down and brought a few up, other than Zucker who had to fill Coyle's spot. I'd like to see Yeo go to send a message we cannot tolerate this level of performance.
Those are some lofty ideas there for only playing 3 games. You honestly think that players would be moving up and down purely based on play (no injuries) at this point already?

The team as a whole has not played poorly. In fact, they really have held the edge on play for the lion's share of all three games, but come away with only one loss. I would hard call that an "ugly record". Granted you do need to win at home, but who they lost to were no slouches.

Aside from that, i have predicted it until I was blue in the face. Backstrom is a liability on this team. He is an above average goal tender who is injury prone. We can NOT put too much pressure on him night in night out and expect him to be healthy.

For crying out loud its an 82 game season and you are seriously thinking Leopold will give Yeo the ax after 5 games? Get real.

Its expectations like those expressed above that constantly set MN professional sports fans up for disappointment. Far too high of expectations.

This team should make the playoffs (finish 6 or 7), should hopefully make the second round this year and the big push will be 2014-2015. Heatley gone and some new iron stepping up. BOOM!

Those are some lofty ideas there for only playing 3 games. You honestly think that players would be moving up and down purely based on play (no injuries) at this point already?

The team as a whole has not played poorly. In fact, they really have held the edge on play for the lion's share of all three games, but come away with only one loss. I would hard call that an "ugly record". Granted you do need to win at home, but who they lost to were no slouches.

Aside from that, i have predicted it until I was blue in the face. Backstrom is a liability on this team. He is an above average goal tender who is injury prone. We can NOT put too much pressure on him night in night out and expect him to be healthy.

For crying out loud its an 82 game season and you are seriously thinking Leopold will give Yeo the ax after 5 games? Get real.

Its expectations like those expressed above that constantly set MN professional sports fans up for disappointment. Far too high of expectations.

This team should make the playoffs (finish 6 or 7), should hopefully make the second round this year and the big push will be 2014-2015. Heatley gone and some new iron stepping up. BOOM!

HaHa, changes are already coming regardless of injuries so get up to date and look at tonight's lineup!!! And as far as only 3 games in.. they also under performed last year so it is not just 3 games for Yeo. Look at Laviolette in Philly, the guy has been to the playoffs 6 times in 12 years, won the Cup one year and he got the axe the other day after 3 games. We'll see....winning will solve everything but I'd put a bet on Yeo being gone if they don't win one of the next two and go on some sort of a streak. He was close to being fired after last season, that was no secret.

As far as Backs...I agree, he flops down and gives up the roof way too much. With that being said, if you are supposedly out playing teams, out-shooting teams, and only giving up 2-4 goals a game you should be able to out score your opponent and that has not happened enough under Yeo IMO. I like the changes they made for tonight, they have told players there "should be a sense of urgency" so we will see how they respond. I like Yeo as a person and he seems to be a smart guy...just may not be the leader this team needs. And last year it was "wait till 2013-2014!" now we have to wait till 2014-215??? If we have to wait then fine...but Yeo won't be coaching by then at this pace. And expectations....my passion is hockey, I could not name one other player than Mauer on the Twins, Wolves none....oh I guess Love, Vikes are dismal...but when it comes to hockey, yes I have high expectations with the quality players they have in the entire organization.

Yeah they have quality players but most of them are young and you don't get 19 year old stand outs like Brodin often so these players need time to develop.

I have said all along it would be 2014. They should be improved this year but big push next year with a cpl big name free agents. IMO. So many people get all wound up up praise and Suter and the money they get thinking its should be instant championship. That's not how it works.

I've been saying 14-15 as well. Personally, I felt playoffs last year (almost blew that), second round or conf finals this year and conf finals or better in 14-15. Gotta shore up the D and develop the youngins, it takes time. And I wasn't big on signing Backstrom took money from the kids for what has turned out to be aslightly above average net minder.

This however is the best product I've seen on the ice ever.

All around good game for the Wild last night, they looked very solid. Let's hope they can keep it up.....change can be good and a motivating factor...seems to have been the difference last night.

I am impressed with El Nino so far this season and I think he had a great game again last night.

Brodin has two goals already? Really impressed there too. Far too many penalties last night though. Throw in a couple 5-3 chances. The game could have been in complete control if they were more disciplined and we didnt get a few phantom calls too.

I sure would love to have Byfuglen (however the hell you spell it) on our D corps. Man is he a beast.

Pretty good game last night but honestly, not a lot different than the earlier games... They just got rewarded for it this time. They keep generating chances like they are, they will start going in.

Nino looked very good on the top line. Big guy who can skate and goes to the net. 2nd line looked a lot better with Pomminville too. I swear though, Heatley's hands are gone. He shanked shots and missed passes all night. Had some good moments too but man I have no faith in the guy.

Granlund is light years ahead of where he was last year too. Kid looks like an NHL player this time around. He was very good last night.

Looks like Dumba is really making a case for sticking around past 9 games too. Almost have to wonder if that makes either Scandella or Prosser trade bait. If Dumba sticks, they won't carry 8 D all season I wouldn't think.

Amazing stat last night was how much they dominated faceoffs. They won 45 of 61 I think. That's insane against allegedly NHL caliber centers. Allowed them to control the game, and you didn't hear names like Settoguchi, Wheeler or Kane very often as a result. Jets just could never get going because they chased the puck all night.

Hope we can do the same to Dallas on Sat...

Being at the game last night I couldn't help but notice the fans seemed kind of quite for what you would think will be a great division rivalry. The Wild's winless start to this point probably had them down a little. A few fights and some give and take cheap shots should build the rivalry by seasons end. It seemed Wild fans put more effort into booing when Jets fans were chanting "Go Jets Go".

My sons friend is from Winnipeg and says tickets for Jets home games get $300 to $350 and it's cheaper for their fans to drive to St. Paul to see them play. A group of 3 or 4 can split travel costs and save big $.

RK, I like what I am seeing out of Granlund too. Totally different player than last season. I seriously just want to drop heatley when Coyle gets back, he's just lost his game. With that said he will probably come back and score some goals for us this season but man he is just not getting it done out there.

I agree with everything RK posted as well. Granny looks amazingly better this year. Not getting tossed around like a rag doll.

Anyone know what the compliance buyout rules are for during the season? I don't remember if there was something in there about a time limit on using them. It would be nice to get Heater off the books and create some room.

Trade Scandella...to who? Prosser too. I have to think that if Prosser is involved with a deal it will be for "future considerations."

Scandella we might get something, but I can't think it will be much.