Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

1st Please Post Your Fishing Report - Then Join the NEW - Private Fishing Report Clubs   01/24/2018

Private Fishing Report Clubs - Click Here - Post Your Fishing Report Before Joining
      1st, be sure you post a fishing report in the forums, then ask to join after you post a fishing report in your area forum. The Private Fishing Report Clubs are where folks can share private fishing information with club members who have proven they know what's going on. Fishing Report Clubs Link also in Menu above. Apply to become a member today, while it's still easy. 
  • RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
BryeGuy

On ice/Off ice rental?

BryeGuy

We are trying to do a father/son trip with 6 people this winter. We are wondering if its all sleepers or are there resorts that offer a house on the ice and a cabin to go back to at night?

The younger guys have no problem "sleeping" on 2 foot wide foam but the dads arent too crazy to the idea.

Hookmaster

Bear Paw does this. Google Bear Paw Guide Service on Upper Red Lake. Talk to Steve. We stayed in one of their cabins 2 winters ago but brought our own houses. They still helped put us on fish.

pushbutton

Yep, Bear Paw...... Beacon's Harbor, Battle River, and WestWinds also. These places are limited though, and best to book ahead of time if you want a weekend spot.

harvey lee

Just a post showing that some outfitters do have a better option for a bed in a sleeper for you to maybe check out.

Some rental's like Porta Villa have some very nice beds in thier sleeper's on the lake. About as comfortable as my home bed.

Spring and mattress with an added blanket or sleeping bag and pillow and you will sleep like a baby.

Thier bigger rentals have all full power, heated bathroom's and stove and fridge. Cieling fans to keep the temps even from the floor to the cieling. Stereo and I believe computor connections. All the comfort's of home. Not sure about TV but I believe that may also be an option.

Some nights one may be up on and off when the eyes come through, only bad deal with getting some sleep.

If you would like a shower or washing machine, Rogers Campground has those option's ready for all Porta Villa rental's.

It's not like staying at a cabin but about as close as one can get with all the comfort's they offer.

Pictured in the link below iare the beds in the larger 6 man. They offer full service on the lake as well as any other outfitter on Upper red lake.

http://www.portavilla.com/villawp/fish-houses/6-man-ice-houses/

bturck

Dbeyer: check with jonny or kelly Petroske at Waskish Minnow Station. They do a great job. Yup Jonny will be there to collect your money, but he'll be checking on you throughout stay as will Kelly and occassionaly Ms Patsy. They won't have u sharing a generator with someone 30' away as there closest house to you will probably not be within a quarter mile. We have booked through them several trips each year for the past 3 years. They will start booking on Oct1st and i haveseveral trips all ready to line up with them. Keep watching this site and you'll be able to see when the booking starts.

Here is Patsy's phone number, she does the booking 1 218 647 8652

marcum12

bturck, We were just talking about this the other day and I have looked at staying there. Thanks for the info. I'm trying to talk em into trying red again.

Random guy

For lodging on shore then running out during the day check with (in no particular order)

Westwinds

Beacon Harbor Resort

Battle River Lodge

Bear Paw Guides

As for the sleeping on chunks of foam, that can stink. Kelly and Patsy have real mattresses in all the houses except the infamous "Garage Door House" and 3 bunks in one of the six man sleepers. We need our anglers well rested and alert! wink

Portavilla

We do have house in groups of 2-3 they are more than a hundred feet apart. I will just add a couple more things to Harvey lee's list.

We are moving every other day.

We have a professional fisherman fishing in front of you and coming to the houses to share tips for the day.

We will have portables setup for guys to use if they want and you will be taken there by are heated tracked Ranger at no extra charge.

You can customize your trip how would please and yes you can even have Satellite TV.

traveler

We are moving every other day.

last thing I want to do is be accused of being "that guy" who starts a flame war, especially in Sept!

But anyone reading this forum regularly will remember the thread last year where someone called foul because Portavilla wouldn't move thier house when they asked. The question about the validity of such a request aside, Portavilla flatly stated at that time that they moved thier houses weekly, the day before the weekend (full fare) customers rolled in.

If it's to be every other day this year, great...heres to heading off any confusion on the subject. Just wanted to clarify that.

Heres to a great (stress free) upcoming ice season, and best of luck to ALL the fisherfolk out there!

Portavilla

Traveler,

You are correct last year we were prepared to move every week as had been done in previous years, after reading the comments by readers and polling are guests if they would be up to paying a little more would they like this. The responses of coarse varied and some other good suggestions came out of it and the majority wanted things to stay the same.

We looked at the practicality of accommodating those that want to run and gun and those that want to stay put so we took it to our workers in the field and an advisory committee. We then rebuilt are reservation system to give groups options, hired a professional fisherman known for running and gunning and hired a guy to help with moving.

We found it's better to have a guy come to work then let him go fishing than call a guy that's fishing and have him come to work.

traveler

Thats fine Chris, just looking for clarification is all. It would be great to see this board a kinder gentler place this season:)

sjlund

Dbeyer: check with jonny or kelly Petroske at Waskish Minnow Station. They do a great job. Yup Jonny will be there to collect your money, but he'll be checking on you throughout stay as will Kelly and occassionaly Ms Patsy. They won't have u sharing a generator with someone 30' away as there closest house to you will probably not be within a quarter mile. We have booked through them several trips each year for the past 3 years. They will start booking on Oct1st and i haveseveral trips all ready to line up with them. Keep watching this site and you'll be able to see when the booking starts.

Here is Patsy's phone number, she does the booking 1 218 647 8652

I couldn't agree more!

Rikkus

Traveler,

Here's one to check out; http://cookiesonupperredlake.com/index.php

Cookies' Sleepers have double Bed; Bunk Beds! I have never used them. Repeat Customers beat me to the punch. There are lots of options. The Bigger the Better with the Sleepers if you're staying out on the Lake a few days. Bringing in your gear, coolers and food fills everything up fast. Portavilla has Heated Out Houses; with Holes for Fishing <Too Funny when we saw this> My Pref is large Sleepers on the ice. You never know what time of day a bite happens. I do the planning for our group. We also bring Portables, using the Sleeper as a Base Camp at times. I have a list of 19 Renters of Sleepers for URL. Send me an email address and I will forward the list to you.

eyehunter78

You could also check with Chad Benson, as he has very nice wheel house and is a quality guide!!