• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ammo life?

8-Ball

Ammo life depends on storing conditions. However, if it isn't rusty, ammo will usually easily last 10 years. In a sealed bag in the basement, 30 years easily. I've shot ammo from the 60's that was kept in a cabinet in the basement, in a sealed bag, and it was just fine. You have absolutely nothing to worry about.

I have some ammo that is like 15 plus years old. stored in cool dry basement. I have no worries about shooting them, if they haven't gotten wet or are discolored they should be fine.

Thanks for advice. They look fine and arent discolored. Several boxes of it so Im glad to not have to toss... 8-Ball

As ammo ages, the powder degrades (from air moisture, heat, etc.) so the worst that can happen is you get a misfire/blooper, or they just wont shoot. Generally you'll just get a lower velocity ammo, but not much slower. 2004 is new in ammo terms, you don't need to worry. The only danger with old ammo is possibly mis-marked boxes from shuffling various rounds around(shooting the wrong ammo in the wrong gun), or corrosion which can cause brass to split, and very likely a gun jam.

Oh and just for public knowledge, I have heard that really old ammo used primers that were corrosive to barrels. I'm talking 50 years old+. Cleaning your gun will completely prevent this, but you dont want to shoot your old M1 with vintage ammo, and put it away to find a pitted barrel next time.

My Uncle gave me a box of old 12 guage shells that were made out of paper material that must be from 40 years ago ,I shot a couple through my pump and still shot fine. To bad I cant try them on some ducks, lol

You can, if your a reloader. Some reloading shops still have paper hulls, but they are hard to find. I'm sure there is some reloading data for steel shot in a paper hull.

I have ammo that was dug out of the ground in Russia after WWII it goes bang every time.

Ammo when stored properly will last darn near forever.

I have ammo that was dug out of the ground in Russia after WWII it goes bang every time.

Ammo when stored properly will last darn near forever.

I HAD Ammo from WWII,It was all brass 12 gauge 00buck.When I say full brass it was from primer rim to crimped end,No paper and as anyone should know no plastic.2&3/4 inch.I dont believe 3 inch was made then.In about 1965 or so I took them for long goose shots.Canadas were seldom seen then 00buck gave me extra range.I dropped one shell BOOM on a basement floor,The 00 buck made heavy indents in the cinder block basement walls.The concussion stuned me!! Dont mess with it!! I dont know the life of modern day ammo?But there is first hand experience from old ammo.Becarefull! If you want to handle it OK dont let the youngsters near it!!

I have 15,000 rounds of 7.62x54r from 1941 to 1945. 14k rounds of it are sealed in metal cans from the factory in Urals region of what was the Soviet Union.

The ammo has not been seen by human eyes in almost 70 years.

Modern ammo will last for hundreds if not thousands of years if stored properly.

My grandpa is still shooting a box of 410 shells from 1978. As long as they aren't visibly damaged or rusty, there is no safety issue.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure my Dad has slugs from the 50's or for sure 60's. That happens when every time you see a deer you have a 3 minute mental process about whether you should shoot at it or not & then if it's still around you decide it must be too small to have stayed there that long...

That said they will still shoot, just not by themselves...

• 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.