• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

annual trip

Well we just got home from our annual trip to Camp Ontario. Man was it hot! First time I have been there with no clouds, no wind, and no big fish, but we had a terrific time. Caught lots of smaller northerns, some good walleyes, and many mosqiuto bites. Been comming up for over 20 years and this is the first time we went all the way up to the Devils Cascade. I have to say one of the most beautiful views Ive seen. We had always heard of the falls up there but as we eased into the area I thought we were being pulled, then suddenly there it was, wow. I have a couple of questions, are the cabins up there at the end private residences, or a resort, we couldnt decide? Where does the water in the falls come from, river, upper lake, melt? Found a couple of good fishing holes on the way up. Found a new rock too on the way to Gubie Pt. Thanks to Sportsman service too for all their help.

/

Glad you had a good time. Was the rock marked on you lake chip, if not can you please explain to others so we may not be so unfortunate?

Thanks

It is (or at least used to be) a resort. Haven't been there in five years.

That was the very first place I stayed when I fished Rainy over 40 years ago. $8/night per person but I was alone! Whole 8-man cabin for $8.

When I got to camp, there were a bunch of big minnows right under the dock and a good current coming down the rapids. Looked like the spot to fish. I just lowered my trolling motor (probably the first bass boat ever on Rainy) and eased into the current. Dropped anchor and proceeded to catch a bunch of nice walleyes and bass right in front of the dock!

Later, three boats came in. They were staying at the camp also. Had gone way down the lake and done a portage into another lake. All they had to show for it were some dink walleyes and one big pike. I continues to hammer the bass and walleyes while they dragged Little Joe Spinners tipped with small minnows all around the area with no luck.

I kept catching good fish and releasing them. Finally they couldn't stand it and asked why I was letting all those fish go. I held up my stringer of big ones that I had culled out earlier and told them I already had my limit (6 of each back then). They couldn't believe it. Asked if I was by myself. I said yes and they told me they would feed me the whole time I was there if they could have my fish!

Since all I had brought along was a loaf of bread, some lunch meat and Dinty Moore stew, it was an easy decision. The bite in the current continued every day. They still couldn't catch any and finally sent the resort owner back to town to buy some nitecrawlers (my secret weapon). Never hit it that good again in front of the dock but it was enough to keep me coming back to Rainy all these years.

it was southwest of Goat island, Yes it was on my lake chip, unfortunately the boat driver (his boat), did not have a gps, about the time I yelled slow down theres rocks in here and the boat came down from wide open, boom about an inch of his skeg departed too. paid more attention the rest of the week.

what a great deal Capt. john, even today camp ontario is only about `15 per day per man. cheap fun. John there is a guy staying out at camp ontario you should drop by and meet if your up that way. His name is Rusty, from Indiana. Hes always been there the same week as me but this year I found out he has been staying there all summer at camp ontario. said he always wanted to spend a whole summer up there and decided to just do it while he had the health. Anyway I think hes getting lonely cause he has always been pretty much a loner but this year he tookk someone from my brothers group out with him everyday as hes getting tired of fishing alone. He is a great fisherman on that lake. I am sure he would enjoy your company and loves to fish with knowlegeable folks. My guys this year could'nt have found thier way home from ami point if they had too. caought more walleyes this year than ever, and we got checked by the game warden, thats a good story i'll tell you sometime.

ok fisherman: tell us the game warden story now please, I hate suspense. Sounds like you guys had a good time.

Capt John: I always enjoy reading your reports and seeing the pics, thanks for taking the time to post

it was about 6:00pm in the evening when we saw the Police boat approaching us on the north end of Hook island, It was an older veteran warden and 2 younger warden wannabees, all very nice guys. They took our credentials and checked our boat for proper stuff and then asked if we had any fish in the live well. Which we did. 2 northerns. Now we had had such a hard time catching our supper late in the day all week that we had kept 2 norherns in the 22 -24 inch range that morning. the warden asked me to put them in a net and hand them over for measureing. I explained we did not need a net as they had been in the live well since 7:30 that morning and I was pretty sure even though we had changed the water a couple of times, they would not put up a fight. As I reached in and got the first one, when I handed it to the young guy the fish was so stiff it stuck out sideways like a 2x4 sideways. The young guy laid it on his fish tape measure and looked at the older guy and said,"I cant measure this fish its all bowed and stiff". To which the older guy said its okay give it back to them, as I pulled out fish number two the older guy started laughing and said just put it back, your okay on length. If thats the best your keeping we're good. 3 guys with 2 fish planks. glad we passed the test. they ate good though!

If you go to Google Maps, you can view the camp very well. The rapids comes from One Mile Lake which is in turn feed by Sphene Lake.

Thanks capt'! John one guy in my brothers group caught a six pound smallie. It was huge. He took some quick pics and let it go. Best way to do it.