Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
stckthrwr

Pheasant hunting recommendations

stckthrwr

A friend and I are planning our first trip out for pheasant. We were looking at going to one of the game preserves so we can learn a bit as well as since we don't have a dog.

Does anybody have any places they would/would not go to? We have done some looking online, but I wanted to get some thoughts of others who may have gone out and had good/bad experiences.

Thanks,

herm

I've been going to Sand Pines outside St. Joe for 4-5 years. Keith does a nice job. His website has lots of info. Also been to Gold Meadows...big birds but they don't fly very fast. Good website too. At either place, You might want to look into renting or using a dog. Not sure you will have very much success without them. Good luck! Bring on the frost!!

IceHawk

Hunt Sand Pines quite often and have never had a bad experience. Keith does a excellent job and will give you a great hunting experience. He has great cover with a variety of fields and the birds are usally very cagey. Highly recommend this preserve.

stckthrwr

Thanks guys! I appreciate the advice! Any more is always welcome!

Another question: What size shot is the best option for pheasant? I have looked online at different things, and I saw one where people said anywhere from 4-7. Is there a preferable size? Neither of us have done any bird hunting. So all advice is greatly appreciated.

We are going to get a guide and dog. I figure that is about the only way that we are going to learn anything and keep from driving ourselves insane and getting extremely frustrated.

IceHawk

I prefer 5 shot with 4 being second choice.

Bryce

Trap loads work just fine for game farm birds. That's most likely what your used to shooting anyways. I often use that load as my first shot even on wild birds.

stckthrwr

Again, thank you for the responses! I can't wait to get out and go! I will post how I do.

Thanks again!

FlyRodAddiction

I have never hunted golden meadows but I do hunt Sand Pines just about every year as a refresher for the dogs. The fields are great and the 12 birds for 10 bird deal is pretty good too. Good luck out there!

CaptainMusky

The shot size would vary depending how close the birds tend to get up. I use #5 in lead or #4 in steel. Early season or game farms you can get by with #6 or 7.5# but wild birds late season tend to flush farther our and the lighter loads would end up in crippled birds.

stckthrwr

We went to Sand Pine and had an awesome hunt. The guide we had was amazing, and the dogs were great! I have never hunted birds before, but watching those dogs going was great to watch. They flushed birds for us, 17 total, 16 within range. And we got 12.

It was both of our first times doing this. we had a great time, and I am pretty sure that we are going to be going again at some point. The guide was talking about the European hunts they do out there, and that sounds like fun as well.

Now I am trying to convince my wife to take up hunting and go out with me. I think I might have a better chance getting her to go pheasant hunting than deer hunting, at least to start with.

Looks like I need to go out and buy a new gun! smile

Thanks everybody!

Nathan