Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  

MarkB

My last couple of posts have expounded on the fact that we HAVE NOT been finding the walleyes in the rocks. The purpose of my posts is to try to relay pertinent information to fishermen having problems catching fish. Most likely, it's not always helpful, but it's always the straight information as my wife and I experience it. So, then, with that said, today, the walleyes were all over the rocks! crazy We found em scattered from 26' all the way up to 15'. I figured with the thunder boomers from last night, the bite might go deep..Not so! We couldn't get a hit in the areas that were loaded up 2 days ago!

Now, here's another switcherooo shocked I've been relating how everything is gobbling up the 1/2 crawler. We've been catching walleyes, smallmouth, perch, bluegills, and rock bass on crawlers. It's the only way to go, right? Well, not this morning shocked. This morning it was all leeches almost to the exclusion of crawlers. I mean they were swimming alongside the boat taking numbers....well, maybe not exactly blush, but the leech bite was fast and furious. My wife and I caught lots of fish and we weren't bothered by the little guys at all. Several 16"-17"+ and our total catch produced ~25% slot fish. No big fish today(that we landed) and all of our slot fish were 18.5"-19.5"(5).

We pulled out when the approaching monsoon involved lightning. The fish were going strong when we left!

The subject of this post "You have to be flexible" is to illustrate how futile it is to read the post of a guy and think you can go out and duplicate his experience based upon using his posted methods. You have to be flexible! Memory bank the information you deem pertinent and mix in your own skills and experiences. Keep trying different "spots" and, eventually, you will catch fish...regularly...I guarantee it wink

Good Fishing,

MarkB smile

fishingdad

Mark; Very Informative as always. I think I am going to personally nominate you for The "Vermilion Info. Award" with Cliff & Casey taking home the supporting roles. Speaking of Leeches are they readily available around the lake still? I know last week both of my regular stops on the way up were out.

MarkB

I buy a couple pounds of leeches in July and nurse them through until minnow time. Some years, I don't use that many of them. This year, I've taken leeches every time I go out and, today, they really jumped on em!

The last leeches I bought were at Babe's in Ely.

Good Fishing,

MarkB smile

Shulsebus

Mark what do you use to keep your leeches alive for so long?

MarkB

You have to keep them cold and they have to have fresh water(lake water). I keep them in a garage refrigerator and change water every 3-4 days. I find very few dead ones when I change the water but, if I do, I get rid of them.

Good Fishing,

MarkB smile

StillFishin'

I do the same as Mark. I buy several lbs. in early June and keep 99% of them until late Sept. Sometimes I can't change water for several weeks and they still hold up but if all possible it's better to change water more often. I use the dead ones for bluegills. I pinch them in half and they seem to work just as good if not better as they are tougher and there is less bait stealing. I cought my personal best gill(10 3/4") on half a deal one!

One other interesting thing is once they get a small white dot on them they ARE going to die so use those first. This usually happens when they are collected later in the year when the water worms so it is best to buy them earlier in the year.

StillFishin'

Shulsebus

Thank you for the info! I'm headed to Chippewa flowage in a couple and I want to make sure I have some leeches. If Vermilion wasn't twice as long of a drive I would gladly drive there. Good luck fishing!