Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
MarkB

I decided to take my own advice........

MarkB

Yesterday, in a post, I suggested that a fisherman having problems catching walleyes might try a Hot Spots Map or locate a deep water buoy and try fishing adjacent water. This morning, my wife and I did just that.

We started out fairly early at maybe the most popular "spot" on the Hot Spots map of east Vermilion. It took no time to locate fish hanging in 18' of water. We proceeded to catch several walleyes from 16'-20'. When the morning flotilla started to arrive, we decided to move on.

The next spot we tried was a buoy adjacent to 37' of water. We fished the 26' contour adjacent to the buoy and found lots of fish from 24'-32'. This was actually the best spot we fished all morning in terms of quantity and quality.

By the time we decided to head for home(~1PM), we had fished 5 different spots and caught fish at all five. The least amount at any one spot was 3 and the most at any one spot was 9. The biggest fish we caught was 19.5". All of the high end eaters we caught were adjacent to rocks on sand or mud. Everything was caught on 1/2 crawler. My wife used a float, I didn't and it didn't really seem to matter. Every time I got in the rocks, wherever we stopped, we caught smallmouth. We ended up with 6 smallmouth this morning that were 17"-19"! I kept a 16" and a 16.5" walleye for our supper. Both of those walleyes were crammed full of mayfly larvae sick

The one thing I would suggest, if you're going to motor around and "look" for fish, is this: it seems to me that the walleyes aren't in the rocks right now, at least for us. If you're after bass, then right in the rocks is the ticket. If you're going to check out the reefs, make sure you look real good at the surrounding water and don't hesitate going deep. Once the fish are located, fish the spot awhile. Sometimes they come easy and sometimes you just have to pound on em to get them eat eek

Good Fishing,

MarkB smile

PS: Hey BP Mike: it appears you're bailing out cry Been fun this summer! See you in the spring smile

Birch PT Mike

Thanks, Mark, Have some other plans this Sept. then duck time. Been an interesting summer,but always great to be here.See you in May. Mike

redlabguy

Well done, Mark. I was going to reply to your prior post... saing "there you have it - all you need to know", and then you go one better and prove it. In a hot sun on flat water, too. Something you can't post, though, are your fishing instincts and finesse. Maybe you can give lessons.

I've been doing my best in Fraser Bay and finding a few including a 24" yesterday. Get into the rocks here and you find bass. But I visited Big Bay today and I'll probably go again tomorrow. The first reef seemed barren but i found good eater walleyes in several areas at the next two places. They are stubborn. I had to make at least three passes to get a fish to bite. I tried bare hooks and red with a red bead but both worked if you worked them enough. I found the most fish from 21 to 27' but did see some deeper.

RLG

MarkB

Thanks Dick! I think the hot sun and flat water may be here for a few more days. The only real effect it has, I believe, is that it really puts the fish into feeding windows. A couple of the spots we fished today basically shut down as the sun got more intense. The last one was going strong at 1 PM crazy Go figure! It seems that there's more bass on the reefs the last couple of years. In addition, we're catching the odd bluegill on several reefs around BIG Bay. Smallmouth ruined Trout Lake in my opinion. I hope more people start eating them. Sure fun to catch though. I tried some of those shallow water spots I suggested to you a couple weeks ago and could only catch little fish. I'll be out again tomorrow. Come on over if you see me.

Good Fishing,

MarkB smile

Cliff Wagenbach

Mark,

We are in the peak of the summer walleye bite at this time!

If people are having a hard time catching them now they are doing something seriously wrong as they are biting almost anywhere that I find them on the graph!

I have also been catching an odd bluegill once in a while while fishing for walleyes in Big Bay this summer!

Nice fish too! 8" to 9" gills!

Hope that we can get an established gill fishery going on this end of the lake as I love catching and eating them, especially through the ice!

Cliff

delcecchi

Careful what you wish for, Cliff. It is my theory that bluegills and bass, especially largemouth, are responsible for the decline of the west end walleye fishery.

About the time the walleye vanished off the reefs, the bluegills appeared. And the largemouth population increased. Coincidence?

SkunkedAgain

Something you can't post, though, are your fishing instincts and finesse
So much truth to that statement.

When I was younger and just learning to fish for LM bass, I literally stood shoulder-to-shoulder with the guy who was teaching me. We used identical lures, casted to the same spots, reeled in the same way, etc. He outfished me twenty largemouth to none. What I really learned that day is about the instincts, finesse, and all of the little things that make a fisherman successful.

Cliff Wagenbach

Del,

I agree that the large mouth may be one of the main reasons for the smaller walleye decline on the West end, at least until this summer. The West end guides have had a much better summer this year catching eating sized walleyes on the West end of the lake.

Young Bluegills on the other hand are food for walleyes just like small perch.

The bad side of bluegills is if they get to thick and stunted. They then become as pesty as the Rustys!

Cliff

redlabguy

I'm not knocking dead, Cliff, but still finding and catching fish on the reefs in Big Bay. I was surprised to find them on the top of a reef this morning. Tried some spots on Frazer first this AM but didnt see fish. doesnt mean theyre not here somewhere. quit at noon, this heat is tough. Judging by the small turnout for today's services, its getting to a lot of people. The fish don't seem to mind and i hope they won't mind if it cools off a little.

Agreed on the bass. If you get in the rocks you can hook some nice ones, and some little ones. I've been going up to Trout with a friend for over 40 years ( they had a cabin on Cramer) and we've seen the bass take over the old walleye haunts. Maybe we should encourage more bass tournaments.

Didn't see you out there this morning, Mark, but I'll be on the water again tomorrow.

RLG

delcecchi

MMMmmmm Bass. The other white meat....

Tourneys don't help much, being catch and release and all that. Need more bass frys.

StillFishin'

Speaking of 'gills, I caught my personal best several weeks ago on the West end- 10 3/4". He's out there to be caught again.

StillFishin'

Cliff Wagenbach

Speaking of 'gills, I caught my personal best several weeks ago on the West end- 10 3/4". He's out there to be caught again.

StillFishin'

That is a true monster gill for this area!

My largest is 10". I caught two that size back to back a couple of winters ago.

Cliff

Finnish Flash

Also speaking of Bluegills, I caught an 11" Bluegill in 10 feet of water on a Rapala last Sunday! Biggest dam Bluegill I have ever caught and on a piece of wood no less!

Frank Boling 41

Bluegills eek Love to catch and eat them!...I need to head up there before cold nasty weather takes hold!...Cliff good to see back at full speed,hope to get up that way to see you,might be ice season by then though!

StillFishin'

Ok, you beat my 10 3/4 and congrats on a real biggie. I hope our mesuring methods are the same. But no matter I bow to you as beating my personal best.

Gezz,can gills get bigger than that in LV?

StillFishn'