• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

My favorite headlamp

I've started doing some videos on products I truly love and trust...and some I don't. This is based on many hours and years of use and not a blind recommendation on the latest and greatest.

Today I did one on my favorite headlamp. This thing is a beast and affordable too. If anyone is looking for a good bright light, I highly recommend it.

+1......still have a petzyl that's lasted many years, but I wanted an extra because I kept forgetting it in my boat...The Lenser is now my main light...throws a laser beam if wanted, down to wide soft light when wanted. Very versatile, and not hard on batteries....I've had mine since Christmas '12.

Dtro thanks for your feedback on this lamp. It's something I have been looking for. The old visor clip on type just don't cut it it anymore. Found it on Amazon for 23.99, it's on order. Should great for ice fishing and in the boat

Nice review, thanks. I often wonder why a place like REI doesn't have a dark area for testing headlamps. How else can a guy even begin to know what you're getting.

I have 4 of them, Dtro. One for home, one for the boat, one for hunting and one in my ice fishing tackle box. You're right that once a friend sees them, they have to buy one, too.

Good video.

Al

Yep, had mine out this weekend and brother and friend both are going to be buying after seeing the 150 yard beem it shoots. All I can say is shop for them. Prices very from $25-$70 for same lamp. My $25 lamp is awesome.

not a huge fan of the battery pack in the back. Used to have a couple like that, back in halogen lamp days. I like the two AAA battery things, all in one unit. Super bright is great if you are night hiking, but in the boat you are just blinding your fishing pals.

From the sound of it you can dim it down a lot so it won't blind people...I will be ordering one of these...They look pretty sweet...

yep, it kind of combines all the good elements into one unit. Low power/flood setting is perfect for the boat, high power/spot is perfect for lighting up things such as buoys, launches/docks, planer boards, snags, etc.

Maybe this is just something I got use to with my older halogen/ 3AA's in the back, but I actually prefer the batt pack in the back (and even more so a strap on top which I might add) so it balance's out nice. But yeah, you can dim these LEDs right down to nothing if a guy wants. Just enough to catch the reflective tape on the rod tip.

For me, the back battery pack is a non factor. (I thought it might be, before I tried it) I don't even know it's there. And, you can dim these down and open the flood nicely, so they don't blind others in the boat. If you have it on the brightest setting with the spot on, it will do so, though. There's no need to use that setting unless you're using it as a spot.

Do yourself a favor and get one or two of these. You won't regret it.

Al

My 2 cents, I own this and about 5 other headlamps.

Pros: very bright, adjustability is pretty amazing, nice case comes with it

Cons: If you have a round shaped backside of your melon, it does not sit correct, wish they moulded the battery pack with a slight curve to fit a head more correctly.

Don't get me wrong I picked up mine for 16bux on sale and I would not trade it. It's not my primary but it's definitely my secondary headlamp.

To me, headlamps are like a tube of chapstick or a nice fancy pen............ I always lose them before they wear out..... blush

Instead of having one or two "quality" headlamps to shift between the house, the boat, the truck, the cabin, the fish house, the goose blind bag, the duck blind bag, the deer hunting bag, the garage, blah blah blah..... I just have a pile of $6 led cheapie headlamps from the Man Mall laying around everywhere grin

If one gets lost or loaned out "never to be returned" it's no big deal

smile That's the way I feel about my sunglasses.

Headlamps and lights in general are such an invaluable tool for night fishing, its one of the things I don't mind spending a few bucks more for. Not only that, but very few cheapies will reach out a few hundred feet.

Mine came today. Wouldn't lite up. frown

Going back tomorrow.

Batteries? J/K

That certainly stinks. But its hilarious after all of the LED Lenser pimping. Well, they have a good warranty at least.

Tried two sets batteries. The ones that came, sealed in plastic, with it and another set of aaa alkalines from a bulk pack of energizers. No joy. Fortunately Amazon is real good about returns. Of course I only had it like 24 hours.

i got a chance to test it out saturday and im impressed its bright enough to light a spot to cast to and also can be dialed down enough to just see the rod tips.

• 4 weeks later...

I have to say, this is a winner product in my book.

I have now had a chance to use it Fishing, Deer Hunting, and Duck Hunting. It's the real deal.

The ability to dial it down for walking to the stand or seeing just what is in your boat is awesome. The ability to turn it to spot mode really helps when duck hunting. (I compared it to my spotlight and although the spot IS better, it's NOT by much and most times I could probably get by with just using this headlamp) Deer hunting, tracking a blood trail at night it was AWESOME. Much better when you can power it up, and turn that focus down to maybe a 4-5 foot area of really intense light. It really helped pick out blood after dark and in the rain!

Durability is only going to be able to be tested with a few years of use, but so far, I'd gladly pack a backup if needed just to be able to use this one.

My .02

I've ordered some xmas gifts already wink

Thanks for the initial review Dtro. It's good information like this that makes me keep coming back for more.

I just got a nice headlamp from Interstate and I think its my new favorite. very bright if needed and you can see a long ways or dial it down and use just a little. Cheap too.

Just got mine in the mail today. I fish at night a lot in the fall and I think it will work great. Another time I think this light will be great is during ice fishing season. I also think this will be great for ice fishing. Having the flood while packing up and the spot for helping to navigate back to shore on lakes like Mille Lacs will be fantastic. It should get its first test this week.

I looked on the company website and they have new SEO series headlamps and they have one with 220 lumens and it has a feature that allows the headlamp to automatically adjust brightness based on surrounding light.

I have the SEO7 its a ridiculous amount of light and very lightweight. you can tone the light down a bit and it does have a feature that tempers the amount of light to conditions, plus a nice bright red light for night fishing. You can recharge it as well, which i like, i suppose it will pay for itself someday, if i dont lose it (like every other headlamp). Pretty expensive tho, but I got a pretty decent "deal" online. I do keep a bunch of cheapies stashed around like everyone else, guess its a guy thing!!! grin

Got the LED Lenser-7 and used it a couple of weeks ago. It is really awesome. I wouldn't normally spend that kind of money on a light, but after using it a couple times I wouldn't be out at night fishing without it. I will be great for ice-fishing also.

thanks for the tip!

Add me to the list of the ones that got one that did not work. Ordered from Amazon got it today. Put in the batteries and nothing. Tried different batteries nothing. Put the ones that came with it back in, got it to turn on. Then I couldn't get it to turn off. Back to Amazon it goes. It was nice and bright when it was working though so I am getting another one.

Got my new one today and what a difference! It works great. Can't wait to try it out coming out of the woods bowhunting this week and using it for ice fishing this winter.

• 2 weeks later...

i'm in the market for a new one. i have 2 of the exact energizer ones that you've got. its annoying having to click through the different brightnesses and settings. just give me light. on/off. will check this out.

Yes, I love the simple On/Off switch.   Not a fan of the multiple settings you have to cycle through to get standard light.  Red, blue, green, disco, morse code, high, low, med..etc. 

Ain’t nobody got time for that

Does anyone have any issues with comfort?

I own this and the battery pack just feels uncomfortable on the back side of the head!

One thing I wondered about is, do you really save power by Dimming the light? I will do a test and find out to see how long the light lasts in HIGH / LOW mode because I want to know if we see zero run time gains in LOW mode then I would be less prone to running in low mode if ever.