• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

everyone must be out playing in the snow!!!! smilegrin hearing reports in the spearing thread, Dixon lake is saying ATV travel is still possible????????????

snowfighter keep me posted/updated. I need to know if an ATV is in order or snowmobile for the weekend of the 14th!!!!
I lost track around 15" of snow yesterday noon total, I would say we are pushing 18"

yikes!!!!! is the wind helping clear the lakes a bit. would really like to bring the wheeler instead of snowmobiles. guys in the spearing forum are headed to Dixon/3rd river. Dixon resort is saying wheelers with chains will do.???????? wadda think????????

Thanks for the depressing updates guys. I'm near Talmoon also.

This year, decided to pop for the wheel house instead of a new Sled. Seems like I picked the wrong one.

The way things were looking I was really excited to get the big wheel house out soon. frown

Might have to make a trip up just to work on my old snowmobile.

Thanks for the depressing updates guys. I'm near Talmoon also.

This year, decided to pop for the wheel house instead of a new Sled. Seems like I picked the wrong one.

The way things were looking I was really excited to get the big wheel house out soon. frown

Might have to make a trip up just to work on my old snowmobile.

Wyoming mn..aint nowhere near talmoon!!!!! whistlewhistlewinkgringrin

HEY SNOWFIGHTER................. they didn't call you out of retirement yet to help with snow removal yet did they?????? winkgrin that road from talmoon to spring lake seems like its the last road in the state to get plowed. crazylaugh

I called and talked to steve last nite he said there are a lot of roads that need attention yet.

you on a lake? where? not trying to be nosey. I know or met some guys on cutfoot some years back from your area. they bought the fryer place.

yea my wife is the same way!

Has anyone been by Big Turtle, Little Turtle, or Ranier? I'm coming up this weekend, just curious if the snow has put a hamper on walking out (don't have a sled). I know there will probably be slush, but I travel light with one small sled. The question is, will it be manageable without too much frustration?

sorry cant help ya. wont be up that way till next weekend. but you can give me a first hand birds eye view next week when you get back!!!!! gringrin

do you fish big ranier? have you ever been on little ranier????

No, I haven't fished those 2 lakes, but I was just wondering what the general consensus was on how the lakes in that area are developing.

I will definitely check things out, regardless if I fish or not. I'll take pics of slush spots, cracks, snow depth, etc...

I don't do that good ice fishing Turtle Lake, the only reason I try to fish it every year is because my grandma lives on the lake, and I never see any houses out there EVER. That's on the east end. The only thing I've caught was a few perch and one year I was lucky enough to have a school of tullibee swim right underneath my holes, ended up pulling one up on a waxworm. You never know.

Big Turtle is a tough lake to ice fish effectively. I know there has to be huge schools of crappie out there, but 3 thousand acres is bunch of water. I drove by the north end of the lake this morning and can see some dark spots that looked like slush on top of the ice. Could be tough going. ATVs out on Little Turtle yesterday, near the access.

HEY SNOWFIGHTER................. they didn't call you out of retirement yet to help with snow removal yet did they?????? winkgrin that road from talmoon to spring lake seems like its the last road in the state to get plowed. crazylaugh

I called and talked to steve last nite he said there are a lot of roads that need attention yet.

Nope, don't think I would answer the phone after 31 years of it. I was state DOT, Spring lake road 4 is county they have a different standard alot of miles to plow in a day some they only get over once and when the school closed that changed things also.

do you ever wander over to this maple lake by big turtle. I usually hit that once a year for sunfish.

We have a place on Sand near the bowstring river. My inlaws have a place on little turtle. I normally split time between the two.

man your close by. we are on Peterson lake. I hunt deer close to the sand lake cemetery down what they call the bass lake road. speared little turtle once didn't do to good.

Hey Smurfy, you lost? Fished Little Ranier last two years. Lots of fish but oh my gosh were they small. We had nothing even close to keeping. I mean your lake would put these to shame even. I had to throw that in just to give you heck. A local on the lake put up a chain link fence about two feet off the edge of the road two years ago to keep people from walking in off the road but the fence has been removed per local officials. Never fished Maple for sunfish in winter. Have caught a few crappies out there and they also fish tullibie in winter but haven't seen many caught. Good luck next weekend.and stay away from my buddies spearing spot.

so those that braved the frigid temps............how the ice conditions and ice.

George at the deer river bait shop said 2 ft of snow and slush with 7-8 inches of ice. he never did say if ATV travel on the lakes where possible.

Driving up 38, it seems most of the larger lakes are windblown with hardly any snow. On Turtle there is 6-9 inches of ice, some spots near shore are slushy but once you get out there its almost bare ice and easy walking.

I couldn't believe it when I saw 2 houses out there already. I asked my grandma when she saw them go out, apparently they were put out two weeks before this past weekend when ice was only 3 inches if that. wow!

I went out to turtle. last night and braved the elements

all the snow got saturated with water and froze up

less than a inch of snow but beware we had 5" of clear ice and 8" of white ice 13 total close to the landing i even parked my truck on ice where the dock sits

but when we started to venture out on foot wr found athe ice got thinner as we went and it got go thin we had to turn around and fish by the landing

so all i am trying. to say is be very very cautious

Thanks for the update Jason1lane.

Junk ice is scary.

It's anybody's guess as to the actual strength of that ice.

Too many ice reports don't mention the difference.

Thanks.

well here is what I encountered. a foot of good ice wherever we drilled holes. a lot of places you could see wet spots in the snow. they where holes in which water was coming up and absolutely stayed away from. lot of water on the ice, not excaturating when I say 6 inches of water. we ended up taking snowmobiles out making paths to where we wanted to fish and waited til the next day when it froze to be able to haul stuff out. fishing was so-so. then sunday morning we woke to 29 below.

• 2 weeks later...
so with these artic temps has anything improved on the lakes?? got any more snow???
I ain't going the F out there to check!