Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

1st Please Post Your Fishing Report - Then Join the NEW - Private Fishing Report Clubs   01/24/2018

Private Fishing Report Clubs - Click Here - Post Your Fishing Report Before Joining
      1st, be sure you post a fishing report in the forums, then ask to join after you post a fishing report in your area forum. The Private Fishing Report Clubs are where folks can share private fishing information with club members who have proven they know what's going on. Fishing Report Clubs Link also in Menu above. Apply to become a member today, while it's still easy. 
  • RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Cove

Winterizing RVmid trip to allow travel from the north frigid country to southern US.

Question

Cove

I have a simple plan, really. Rent or buy a modest RV, pull out of Minnesota in late January and head south, perhaps to Key West, relishing each step of the way as winter wains.

Then someone spoiled my dreams by saying they would not rent such RV for these conditions because they would freeze up . Can't I just start out winterized and start using the plumbing / water when weather allows? It can't be that difficiult. Then on way back I do the opposite. At some point, an eye on the forcast, we decide time to winterize again and close out the trip using no water. Or perhaps there is some vehicle that can take it up north without needing to winterize.

4 answers to this question

Whopper Stopper

We basically did exactly what you are asking. I had a small compressor with and when we got back to snow country we blew out the system and I put antifreeze back in the lines (yes I know you don't need to blow it out first. It's just how I choose to do it). No problems at all.

WS

highlife4me

I can see why somebody will not rent you an RV for these conditions. It can be done and many people do it, but if winterizing is not done correctly it could lead to thousands of dollars of repairs. Many times leaks do not become obvious until it is too late and walls and floors may need repair. For what it would cost to rent an RV for that long you would be better off buying your own for the trip and either keeping it or selling it after your trip.

Powerstroke

A rental place will not allow you to do it because they cannot trust you to care for the RV even if you say you can.

Your plan is a sound one for your trip. I've done a similar trip for spring turkey hunting heading south.

The only thing that will hang you up is if you'r'e looking to rent. Most places just won't allow it.

Cove

Thanks to the several of you who replied. I think I see situation clearly now. I trust my ability to do the winterization but renter will not.

The dangerous thing I read from your posts is the idea it would be economically better off buying and reselling than renting anyway. I want to hear that but I don't. I suffer temptation here. I think I will scope out buying a modest RV with that in mind. :-)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• cat44
      We have Hoey, but it's easier to go off the Warroad access to get to where we normally go.
    • Rick
      Nice video. Thank you @papadarv NOTE:We will be updating the forums and all videos uploaded here will go straight to a player that folks can just click and watch instead of downloading and watching.
    • papadarv
      Out Saturday afternoon doing some sight fishing with my camera on one of Chisago County lakes. Water was a bit dirty and with 26 inches of ice camera clarity was a bit lacking. Did get some nice video of the afternoon. Battery augers failed after a couple of holes so went with the Eskimo gas. Lots of fish above the weeds in 10 FOW.  EazyCam site fishingHB.mp4
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      Weather forecast looks to be consistent starting Wednesday with average temps in the  mid 20's. Consistency typically good.  Right now anglers are working fish hard and putting fish in the pail. Electronics are playing a huge roll as some walleyes suspended as far as 10 feet below the ice. Most resorts are out in 31' with some in a touch shallower. More saugers in deep mud with walleyes shallower. Reefs to the west also productive with a few perch being pulled in as well. Rattle and flutter action spoons doing well. Gold, pink, and other glow colors best.  Pike already active in shallow water.  Auger extension needed if fishing on your own with 3+ feet of ice in most areas.  Snowmobilers stay on marked trail, big ice chunks off of trail. Ice houses allowed to be left on lake through March 31st, walleyes open through April 14, pike all year.   Rainy River pushing out some bigger walleyes in the morning/evening with an occasional sturgeon.  Local fish houses along the snowmobile trail from Wheeler's Point to Baudette Bay.  Morning, evening bite most effective.   The NW Angle continues to put nice fish in the bucket. Walleyes and saugers in good numbers.  20-24' early and late, 26-30' during day.  In Ontario waters, crappies in deeper holes of 28-32' on light tackle set ups. Mortality rate is high for released crappies in 25' or deeper, catch fish and move on.  Walleyes all over!  Snowmobile trails on and around the lake are marked and groomed.  
    • mrpike1973
      Hi all hope to make it this Saturday. Depending on the snow coming we should be able to drive on correct?
    • Hoey
      This past weekend, only two were caught by our group of three fishermen and they were small, in the 10" range.  
    • Hoey
      Why not go out of Swift?  I nothing about the Warroad access, sorry.  
    • Hoey
      OK - we made it back!!!  Every trip is different with it's own potential perils.   I finally got into my house on Friday around 11am.  My guests were rookies, so i spent time with each of them, getting setup, heaters started, Vexilars set, houses banked, lines prep'd and set, bait, etc...  The bite was somewhat slow and many small ones.  The day got better 3 to 430pm.  Ended up with 6 nice eyes (19, 18x3, 17x2), 13 jumbos (most ever for a day), 12 small sauger which we ate for dinner.   On Saturday we headed up to the south shore of the Angle, longer ride, so again did not get started too early.  Ended up with our 6 eyes for our limit, these ranged from 15 to 16 inches and a 4-pack of sauger.  Again the bite seemed to pickup at 3 or so and was done by 430pm.   Ice as 3 foot or so.  Snow depth varied a lot, depending on the condition of the ice.  Smooth areas were blown off to crusty 6 inches or so.  Rough ice surely held a lot of snow.   The drive back on Sunday was somewhat tough from Baudette to Emily, winter storm warning.  Slow go, low visibility, and icy roads, sometimes down to 15 mph.   Next scheduled trip is with my wife, son, and three of his Gopher swim teammates for spring break in three weeks.  
    • Naturboy
      Those were caught from a shallow lake (17’) in 9 feet of water at the bottom of the first shoreline break. I was using a UV buckshot and minnow head since the water was murky. The crappie is still swimming the walleye not so much. I didn’t get the exact location. Sorry  
    • Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota fishing has been most productive in 20-24 feet of water.  Guests are bringing home their limits of Walleye and Sauger with the occasional Perch and Northern mixed in. Fish have been most active early and late in the day and the bite has been terrific. The use of electronics continues to be very beneficial with fish taking jigging spoons, jigg’n raps or rattle baits.  Snowmobile ttrails on the Minnesota side continue to be maintained and are in great shape. We are still making ice, with most spots at over 30 inches. 

North and East of us in Canada, big Crappies are coming in on light tackle setups out of 30 feet. If you are looking for walleye, they are everywhere!

Until next week, 

Sunset Lodge
  • Share & Have Fun