• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Is this now OK?

John Mickish

Maybe I'm venting, maybe I'm out of line or maybe some people are just selfish.

Yesterday while fishing one of the mud flats with the pack, I moved to the other side of the finger to be by myself and have more room to roam. On my fist pass I picked up a double at one spot, and at the end of my pass I motored back up to the begining to notice that 4 other boats where now on my side of the finger, and one had even anchored up on the spot of my double. The wind was perfect to run strait down this side and this DB that anchored really screwed up the pass. I made a couple more passes and decided that there was a lot of water to fish so I left this guy alone and moved to a different flat.

On that flat, about a dozen boats where drifting down the edge and one guy had two drift socks out and was back trolling UP the flat, again messing up everyone elses line.

Am I out of line for thinking these guys have no etiquette or is it now acceptable to just do what you want and to heck with everyone else?

On the first flat, ya I'd be a little irritated. 2nd flat, how are you to know that the guy backtrolling wasn't there first and now he is having to pull around others?

First guy was out of line, but on the second it's anyone's guess -- as has been mentioned, he may have been there first.

Or even if he wasn't, it's not a rule that everyone has to go the same direction. It's not like he was anchored on a specific spot that he just say someone catch 2 fish out of.

It's not always the case that everyone can just drift with the crowd or wants to drift with the crowd. For instance, my dad had a huge 28 foot pontoon boat that we'd often take the mud flats. When the wind comes up, try drifting out of that puppy -- you'll go at least twice as fast as anyone else. Easier solution -- troll against the wind.

Or, I've been on a mud flat where I've been drifting with the other 10 boats, and seen nobody catch a single fish on 2-3 short passes -- and to mix it up, then I've turned around and trolled up the flat and hammered them, I presume due to the higher speed variance and slower overall presentation that I had when going against the waves than when drifting with them.

John...

This type of behavior is now common place on "the pond". At least from my point of view. From those who do as you've described, to those who run up the shoreline between you and the shore when you're less than 100' off the bank. Can't forget the "power snoops" that zoom in, drop of plane a few feet away, ping away with their electronics then blast off to do it to some other poor guy. Or the folks who will swoop in on you the second they see a bent rod or net in hand.

Off all the lakes I've fished this season, in Minnesota and other states, Mille Lacs has been BY FAR the worst for bone heads! At an average of three incidents per outing it's WAY out of hand. You wouldn't believe the pictures!!

Here's an idea... How about a new web site... Bone heads in boats . com! LOL!!

Rant? Sure, why not?

People are selfish? You bet!!

Out of line? Not a chance!!

It stinks, but with that being said, yes larger flats hold larger amounts of fish but more boats, smaller flats less fish less boats, I have been out on weekends this year on smaller flats and had them all to myself.

Kettle

John,

I would have agreed with you 5 years ago but electronics have changed the game. We used to throw out a sock and drift with the crowd but now I prefer to power cork if the weather is calm enough. On five mile gravel yesterday we saw some with anchors, some with drift socks and some using their trolling motor. We drove around and only dropped on fish we marked. Of course it would be inappropriate to drop in front of a drifting boat but how much space is enough? On Pelican I get frustrated if someone is within 100 yards. On the pond I get irritated if someone is within 20 yards. On pool 4 if someone bumps my boat I ask how they are doing. Yesterday afternoon we moved to a small mud flat where it was too windy to power cork. We drifted one pass down the west edge and only marked fish on the north half. We short passed the next time and caught one but noticed a group of fish in one area. We then put out the anchor to catch those fish. Maybe it was me? Maybe I was out of line.

This is nothing new, been going on for years. 25 years ago we used to say if you had motor problems and there was no one aroung just throw out a marker and withinn 5 minute you'll have help. Same holds true today. It's just the way it is. Is it right, no, but no sense getting worked up over it. There are fish on every flat out there. If there are more than 1 or 2 boats in a spot I just move on. Found some great spots that way. I don't fish the lake much anymore but I do drive by very often and the ramps are not nearly as full as they used to be in the 90's. Got to be plenty of water out there.

Yesterday on a north end small flat we had it happen. Everyone was drifting the break we got tired of no fish and decided to go to the otherside where no one was to get away. We started pulling in fish and then everyone is right next to us. It's like [PoorWordUsage] come on

The only way to even possibly avoid is to always be out of sight. Even the drive-bys will occasionally stop. For all you guys deciding who's right or wrong, it's not worth the stress.

Sometimes when this happens to me, I leave immediately. It sometimes gives the impression that its not a good spot.

It is what it is. The key is to be tolerant and not let it bother you. Not worth being ticked off all day on the lake.

A lot of people fish the "bent rod pattern" on Mille Lacs. It helps if you don't net your fish. Less people will notice but eventually they catch on to the game. Throw out a bouy without an anchor. You will be amazed how many yoyos will pull up and fish it!!

Us old guys call that combat fishing. Its been a staple of Leech and Mille Lacs since I started fishing them 30 years ago. Personally, I am more [PoorWordUsage] about throwing back the 21's and 22's.

Like ice fishing, I'll take my own piece of structure before I setup within a few hundred yds of someone else...assuming snow travel allows. With a boat, I'm always off in the distance of others.

Us old guys call that combat fishing. Its been a staple of Leech and Mille Lacs since I started fishing them 30 years ago. Personally, I am more [PoorWordUsage] about throwing back the 21's and 22's.

Agree,Mille lacs crowd can be different.

I like to use this behavior to my advantage. If I plan to move to a new spot we just act like we are catching fish and wave the net around a bit. When they start to head our way we leave. Fishing is supposed to be fun grin

Guess I'm getting old too, but before gps when you used a map and depth finder, that only told you how deep it was, we'd go to a spot we wanted to fish from looking at the map. If there were boats on it, pull up about 200 yards away and anchor. The pretend we were catching fish. Within 15 to 20 minutes the spot would clear when they all came over to us. Then we'd pull up, go over and have clear sailing to locate the break we wanted to fish on.

"bent rod pattern" HA - I like that. Happens all over not just Mille Lacs.

I get a kick out of the ol' "launch sequence" pattern. Thats where they go from one launch to another and anchor right in their drift pattern.

When the flats get busy most of the fish are off the top and slide down.

When it gets like that I pull out the lead core spinners and cranks.

lots of ground covered and lots of fish caught with out anyone to deal with.

to much fun.

it seems that it's an inevitability. i figure you aren't going to ever be able to control the actions of others, only those of your self. so you're probably better off just accepting that fishing for walleyes on popular lakes means you are playing bumper boats rather than being annoyed by it. unless you are looking for the chance to be annoyed by it. either way, the outcome will be the same, the only difference is your blood pressure.

On that flat, about a dozen boats where drifting down the edge and one guy had two drift socks out and was back trolling UP the flat, again messing up everyone elses line.

Am I out of line for thinking these guys have no etiquette or is it now acceptable to just do what you want and to heck with everyone else?

Backtrolling is a very common practice on Mille Lacs and many people use it.

Personally I see nothing wrong with either situtation... Because your drifting a flat doesn't mean someone can't come anchor on it 2c If he just got to the spot how does he know thats your drift line? What if the wind switches? Should he pull up anchor to accommodate your drift if the wind switches too?

We were catching fish on the river this weekend and boats saw us and they they would troll within 15ft of us... Never bothered me. Usually just ask them how they're doing and make friendly conversation. No reason to get worked up about it 2c

We have a common saying within our group of buddies when someone is to close or complains that were to close.... "you ever fish Mille Lacs?" grin

I'm not worked up over it, it's just another example of where selfishness has taken over doing the right thing.

Just because people do it, doesn't make it right. I mean heck, I can run out there and fish a flat in a sail boat, and since sail boats have the right of way, I could pretty much run everyone else off the flat. Or bring out a diver and put out a diver down flag and do the same thing.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

I grew up fishing Leech. Nothing worse than someone anchoring when a good drift is being performed by everyone else. You drift through the area and then come around for another drift. All of a sudden there is Anchor Boy right in the way and everyone is out of synch.

Things have changed maybe. I'm with ya. Common Courtesy.

If he just got to the spot how does he know thats your drift line?

It's not exactly rocket science. laugh

It's not exactly rocket science. laugh

Next time ill go ask everyone on the flat where they started there drift crazy

Should no one be allowed to back troll up against the waves just because some people are making "passes?" most of the people back trolling are working a very small area, basically anchored. Just because your drifting an area doesn't mean you own the rights to it and everyone must drift it the same as you 2c

Should everyone be required to have the same size boat, make/model, and drift sock? Only logical if u want everyone to drift the same. Make sure those drift socks are tied up the same as well wink

That's why I always carry my muskie rod when walleye fishing- just start tossing bricks and hubcaps around and you'll have some room wink .that brings another point.while strictly musky fishing mille lacs last week I told my buddy that I think musky fisherman more often than not are way more courteous.maybe since there's big hooks flying but folks were always a fair ways away and they/we shared sightings and spots, asked what paths we're on, etc. Not digging on wally fisherman at all.I fish walleye to but just what I've noticed.

I think musky fisherman more often than not are way more courteous.maybe since there's big hooks flying but folks were always a fair ways away and they/we shared sightings and spots, asked what paths we're on, etc. Not digging on wally fisherman at all.I fish walleye to but just what I've noticed.
I think musky fishermen are some of the worst and I are one.

Musky fishermen you RARELY drift so you can always tell what direction someone is going or know what their intent is, but countless times I get leapfrogged where I was the first person hitting a piece of structure then someone comes around me and starts fishing 40 yards in front.

Though it may happen more often with walleye anglers because there are so many different techniques to accomplish the same thing so its hard to tell often times what someone's "intent" is, but musky fishing, there is no excuse and it happens all the time.

Regarding sailboats, backtrolling, etc. there are some rules. I believe that a boat drifting has right of way over a boat under power (i.e backtrolling). A sailboat in not considered "under power" but does not have right of way over a boat at anchor since it is moving and navigating. A boat at anchor has the ultimate right of way.

I've also had the opposite happen. Drifted past someone on a metro water. Buddy and I pulled back to back 24's. Release one 15' from him as we drifted past. He quickly lifted anchor and started following us. laugh

You could ask, or you could guess that they are drifting with the wind. laugh

Did they start in the middle of the flat? End of the flat? Over the edge of the flat? I'll ask everyone on the flat for GPS cords on where each started there drift. Hopefully I can get some fishing in after comfirming everyones starting point, drifting technique, and planned drifting line grin