• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Made my day, and my summer

Just thought I would share a story that happened to me yesterday, that made my day, and likely my summer.

I've grown up fishing with spin casters. Since I got back into fishing a few years back (a long story for another day), I kept hearing about how great bait casters were. Being the type to always try something new, I picked up one on sale, and tried it out.

After just a few casts, I had such a bad birds nest in the reel, I realized there was a lot more to bait casters than spin casters. I took a break from it, and eventually got back to getting it respooled, and did some research on the internet. Found some good videos on how to go about practicing in a way that doesn't screw up your spool, and went out yesterday and started to practice.

I thought I was doing fairly well. I was getting casts out to 20-30' without getting a nest, but I was taking it slow because I was still getting them every so often, and I didn't want to burn up another spool of line going to fast.

Fast forward a bit, and I've packed up and am leaving for the day. A few people are walking past, obviously coming out to fish, and we start talking. I let them know what I did and didn't have luck with, what we were catching, how, and where, just something to maybe give them a starting point.

One of the guys asked me what type of bait caster I had. I just shrugged my shoulders and said 'I don't know. I'm still trying to figure out how to cast it!'

Well, that was probably the best thing I could have said. He perked up, took a look at the reel, commented that it was actually a pretty decent one, and then proceeded to show me how to tune the reel to the bait, explained how each of the settings affected the cast, and so forth. After he was done, he took his baitcaster, and put a bait on it and said 'Tune it up, and go cast it as far as you can.'

I was sure I was going to mess up his spool, and told him so. He just smiled and said I wouldn't. So, I tuned it, went down to the water, and cast. I didn't put quite as much 'umph' into as I could have, but I definitely let 'er rip. And much to my surprise, no nest. I had cast tuned and casted a bait caster, and been provided with a valuable confidence boost in the reel.

So while there are plenty of posts about ramp rudeness, overreacting and such, I thought it would be good to remember that, most of the time, the community of fisherman in Minnesota is a good one. This guy took time out of his fishing day to teach me how to use a bait caster, and I can guarantee my summer will be a better one, and I will definitely be looking for an opportunity to pass it on.

There are still some nice people out there. I always thought it was best to learn from a person rather than reading a post or video. Although I've learned a lot from those fishing shows over the years. (Thank you Roland Martin, Linders, etc..) Glad it made your summer. Also, a good reel is essential. Cheaper baitcast reels get backlashes (birds nest) way more often than the nice expensive reels.

Nice story. I agree with you completely, most of the MN fishing community is made up of good folks, who typically go out of their way to offer you help when you need it.

Glad to hear you're learning a bait-caster. It can be frustrating when you're not used to the technique. The newer, better quality bait-casting reels are so much more forgiving than the ones we all started out with years ago. Once you get really comfortable with the reel there are a ton of applications that work better with a bait-caster vs. a spinning set up.

Best of luck to ya', and thanks for a positive, uplifting story, rather than the everyday complaining we see here all too often.

This is a nice story. I honestly don't believe it's the exception either. Just like our news stories people like to focus on the negative stuff because it's more dramatic and supposedly is more interesting. Not to me. I really get tired of the drama. I rarely have bad experiences with other fisherman. I have had some, but they are the exception. Thanks for the story!!

I agree we are a pretty friendly bunch, If I had a good day of fishing I am much more likely to tell someone at the access than post about it on here.

Great to hear, and especially thank you for sharing. I was thinking the same thing when you started your post; that you just needed to learn to change the spool setting for the size and weight of your bait...but as someone says, if its new to you you probably wouldn't even know about it or to ask about it...some things do need to be learned in a one on one setting.

Wishing you continued luck and a bird's nest free summer! Pay it forward!

Good to hear, I used to dislike baitcasters too, until now. I gave baitcasters a real try this year for the fist time , and I have to say, however, I am not impressed. While in very limited situations it is nice to have one, In most situations a spinning reel is far superior. I honestly have no idea why people love them to death. I like mine for casting heavy lures a long ways, but sometimes you don't get the luxury of that one situation. I gave baitcasters a good try, but I don't think I will buy another one, they just don't compare to an equally priced spinning reel. The problem is you need a different set up for everything. For example a spinning reel will cast a 1/2 oz lure 45 yards, a 3/4 oz lure 50 yards, and a 1 oz lure say 52 yards, while the baitcaster with a heavier rod will get like 20 yards, 30 yards, and 65 yards. Its hard to explain, but a baitcaster is very limited in what it can do, unless you have a lot of them.

Chemlight,

Great story; thanks for sharing. I can see how that one instance could make your fishing summer.

Sloughshark, with everything there is a right tool for the job. Spinning reels are highly versatile but they're still not a one size fits all application either. FWIW, I throw some pretty light lures with some of my baitcasters. In fact I debated the issue with a guy one day while we were throwing baby 1 minus baits. I could at least double the distance with my baitcaster than he could throw with his spinning reel. Your choice of rod, line, and how you set it up make all the difference; much like the point of the original post.

Maybe you know someone who's really into bait casters that can offer some tips?

I'm sorry, but I don't believe you casted twice as far as a spinning reel. If you did the spinning reel was very poorly set up. In general, at best I can usually sneak an extra 5-10 yards over a well set up spinning reel. With most lures my 6' spinning setup will cast just as far as my 7' bait caster. Bait casters also have a handful of other disadvantages, and when it comes to wind, well just pack it up. The only disadvantage of a spinning reel is that you can't get as much line on. I can get 200 yards of 20 pound braid on my 4000 series, so that's not a problem for me. I hear a lot of people have problems with "line twist" and it seems to be in the same boat with tip up line freezing, it doesn't really exist. All I ever hear is "it takes a long time to get used to". I have been casting almost exclusively with mine since may, and I have tried them before that. IMO bait casters are all hype, for very little performance gains.

Ahh, yeah...

I guess I could agree if I could only have ONE reel, I would pick a spinning reel. But fortunately for me I don't have to make that choice.

I'll politely leave a feel good thread somewhat on track with my former comment.

Your choice of rod, line, and how you set it up make all the difference; much like the point of the original post.

Good fishin'.

Hmmmmmmm.....I sniff a lot of inexperience in the air. But that's okay, life is all about learning and broadening ones horizons. If only one type rod, reel and line was perceived as the ultimate, that is what you would see at the shops. Do some research on the history and development of the two types for a better understanding.

Enjoy the waters.

I'll offer another tip if you're not already doing so. With the rod/reel in your hand in front of you, assuming the reel is horizontal (rod guides upward on top of the rod), turn your hand/wrist/forearm to the left 90 degrees (for a RH setup). Try casting that way, you'll be pleasantly surprised at the difference.

Great story and great to hear you are trying new techniques out.

I remember my first experience with a bait caster, it was my fathers Garcia 5000. I was 10-11 years old and that reel was just to shinny sitting all by itself in the boat that day. I remember being warned on many occasions not to touch that reel, but on that day I couldn't help myself ,it actually called out to me ...Gordie ,Gordie come try and cast me, so I did and I gave it a whip and the mother of all birds nests was upon that shinny red reel. I freaked out for a bit them just put it back in the boat and forgot about it, that was until Dad saw it and my name was screamed out so that the neighbors three blocks away could hear it, they knew I was in trouble almost before I knew.

I'll leave the rest of the story up to your imagination as I ended up being caught of the crime I committed, and I did serve the sentence I was given.

To this day have a sore spot every time I cast that old Garcia 5000 grin

Chemlight It gets better with time behind the reel and soon it will be a extension of your arm.

A properly set-up baitcaster will cast just as far as a spinning reel. Of u don't think so you just havnt used 1 enough. Also a 4000 series reel isn't exactly made for casting distances its more of an all around reel. Also as far as no advantages IMO you couldn't b so blind.

1- ill take my 7. 1.1 orra for topwaters, spinnerbaits and big cranks all day over a spinning reel.

2- I believe they are more comfortable when set up correctly

3- yes they do cast just as far (like original story it takes some tuning/tips to maximize distance.

4- I bass fish a lot. And I believe its the most versatile set-up I have.

5- if distance is what u need just use braid over mono/fluoro

I don't doubt they cast as far as spinning reels, but I still don't see why anyone would use them exclusively. Their supposed advantage of accuracy has proven to be wrong, but what gets me is that they don't cast much further than a spinning reel. I'm giving mine about another week, when I'm going fishing with a tournament angler that has loads of experience and bait casters. I have a feeling mine will be for sale shortly.

K and when you go out try flipping with a baitcaster that's actually made for casting not a big bulky 4000 series. Then do it with your spinning reel and then tell me what's accurate or not. Seriously try it

No sense arguing with the kid H'core: he has the answer he thinks is right and that's all he cares about. More experienced anglers know better. Let it go.

I love the positive story for once!! Way too much focus on the negative things in life!

Nice story and I agree on most people being good - or at least decent. Ha. It's the bad ones that make the news. For all the knocks the DNR or county sheriff office takes, we were approached by a young college intern working the water patrol a few weekends ago that impressed me. I was ready to get my license out to show him we were all good but he instead just asked to see our life vests and congratulated our kids on wearing them, giving them dairy queen coupons. Makes an impression on a young one. Anyway, would have even been better but the local smalltown dairy queen told us, sorry, the coupons are only good in Minneapolis. Not true but not worth the hassle of paying for a cone.