• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Best iphone lake map app?

handsonguy

So I finally gave in and got a smart phone. What is the best lake map app? Thanks

Looks like people like the navionics one from the searches i've done.

I am going to download it pretty soon. Does anyone who has it know if it eats at your data plan when you are not wireless? Is there a way to not have that happen? Thanks!

It's using your GPS, not wireless cell data. You can verify this by turning off your mobile data...this goes for android phones as well.

I just looked at Navionics - do they have maps of a lot of our local lakes? Or is it more the major bodies like the Mississippi? Just figured I'd ask before I dropped the money. If they have a list of lake maps they have, that would make the decision easier...

Eidt: Nvm, I found the list at http://www.navionics.com/en/marine-lakes-usa

They have maps of most lakes with any size to them. Although not every lake will show 1 foot contours like the bigger/more popular lakes. If they don't have 1 foot contours they'll more than likely show 5 foot contour lines similar to what the lakefinder tool on the MNDNR website shows.

I have the app and love it. For $10 its well worth it.

If you have a particular lake you are hoping to find out about let me know and I can look it up on my app and see what it shows. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to share the lake name publicly.

Love it for ice fishing. Haven't used it much for open water but it does get my attention when sitting on the throne.

I use the Navionics app on my android phone and tablet, best $10 ive spent in a while.

Navionics App! Check out all the cool features on the Navionics website, I dont think they let you post links here, lots of cool stuff on the app.

Its a great app as it is but I don't like how you have to either post a tac, or show the whole world your fishing spot. I sent a request a few months ago to have an option of a "fish" mark, or weed bed, or rocks, etc. The other thing is you cant add enough detail to a mark, all you can do is name it. I suggested they link it with the camera so you can keep a photo of the fish and also some weather conditions, length/weight, and also be able to put more than one fish per mark. If you have any better ideas they seem to like having them suggested.

• 2 weeks later...

I used nav, but I can tell you that you are going to want to compare it to the old lake master, as I have been on lakes this summer that on the nav chip doesn't show half the humps, structure as the lake master does.

Its a great app as it is but I don't like how you have to either post a tac, or show the whole world your fishing spot. I sent a request a few months ago to have an option of a "fish" mark, or weed bed, or rocks, etc. The other thing is you cant add enough detail to a mark, all you can do is name it. I suggested they link it with the camera so you can keep a photo of the fish and also some weather conditions, length/weight, and also be able to put more than one fish per mark. If you have any better ideas they seem to like having them suggested.

Its has its limitations, but if you turn off community layer you'll be able to use the other object or symbol marks instead which allows you to give it more detail then using the tack or green fish symbol. The only problem with community layer being off is you wont be able to see other vital information posted by others.

It does like to chew up the battery life though. At least mine does where I fish. So you should have the phone fully charged when you get to the lake and watch the meter.

I have the Navionics (Lakes US North) app. Its a good app for the price but a good portion of the lakes are your standard 'state' lake map contours.

CountourElite (Lakemaster) is supposed to be coming out with a phone app soon: http://strategicfishingsystems.com/mobile/

I was told at the Minneapolis ice fishing show that you will purchase lakes individually with this app. Lakemaster has a list so you can tell if the lake has actually been surveyed or is just using generic information: http://www.lakemap.com/Find-a-Lake/

There have been a bunch of threads on this. Sometimes LM is better and sometimes Navionics is better. It depends on where you fish.

Examples, LM is better on Mille lacs.

Naionics is better on Vermilion. Navionics is also better on Spring lake in Scott county.

Best bet is to have both then use the best one for the body of water you are on that day.

There have been a bunch of threads on this. Sometimes LM is better and sometimes Navionics is better. It depends on where you fish.

Examples, LM is better on Mille lacs.

Naionics is better on Vermilion. Navionics is also better on Spring lake in Scott county.

Best bet is to have both then use the best one for the body of water you are on that day.

There is no Lakemaster app for iPhone or smartphones currently. Navionics app reign as the lone King.

Yeah, I get that.

I was responding to the post that suggested that Navionics maps were substandard. They are on some lakes and LM is substandard on others. It depends where you are.

• 1 year later...

Navionics is great, but for me Spyglass is the best. It costs 3.99 and all updates are free. I use it as a backup navigation and like to mark my secret fishing places.

navionics is basically it unless you use like some ocean cartography. Their contours are just ok for the places I fish. I'm certainly more a lakemaster fan. I use navionics on a tablet out on the boat and try and use it as I would on a lowrance/bird. saving a waypoint is kind of a pain to save the spot you are on. it does suck the dump out of your battery too. I plug the tablet into an adapter and pray it doesn't suck the battery dry.

looking forward to seeing the lakemaster app when its available. its about time. they pretty much take the cake on the ill/ia pools of the miss.

There is another one called "Fishidy". It is more than just contour maps but can be a complete "journal" of sorts about your fishing expeditions along with getting useful information from others.

I used the free version for a bit, but then removed it because it wasnt as good as Navionics for what I was using it for. The premium version (with a fee) has much more and better maps.