• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Dock fishing etiquette

I try to fish from the dock on a sometimes busy lake. There are times where it is just too busy to fish from the dock and I put the rods away until the madness lessens. Typically the the person driving the boat never spots us fishing from the dock and runs our lines over. Most of the time they are looking back at the person they are pulling or looking back at their motor for some reason. It really gets me going when my sons are swimming. I have had a few choice words for these folks in the past but it's a futile waste. I know when I'm in my boat and see someone fishing from a dock I give them a wide birth. However this does not occur to a lot of boaters. I tell some of these folks "We are trying to enjoy the lake too". I suppose this is just a rant but please observe and give people a little room out there please. Any suggestions are welcome. Thansk.

I see an overall general lack of safety with boats. There is no class or experience required to operate a boat.

I remember once fishing off my grandma's dock. A boat tried to pull their skiier close enough to the dock to spray me. They ended up getting too close and the skiier had to drop the rope as to not hit the dock. If this happened today, i would jump in and teach them a lesson. I was 12 when this happened and even then i knew it was down right rude as well as unsafe.

Many boat operators don't know how to drive safely around others. I also find it funny when boaters haven't a clue about lake depth, etc and run their skiiers into really shallow water without even knowing it. I see that quite frequently. There are tons of skeg marks in the sand of shallows areas to prove it...Those of us with a side imaging unit know what i'm talking about.

I grew up on a boat tubing/knee boarding, skiing each weekend with a neighbor whom held safety at the highest priority so much of that is engrained with me. By the time i was 17-20yrs old I was in the boat 4-5 days a week with buddies. We were pretty wild, but i maintained my ettiquete to others on the lake.

I give boaters with skiiers the right of way always. Many times when fishing i slow from plane until i know exactly where the ski boat is going; always looking for a skiier or swimmer bobbing in the water. skiiers should never be that close to a dock, especially one with people on the dock or kids in the water...Granted, i've done some dumb things myself, especially when i was 17-20yrs old. I've kneeboarded close enough to shore to rub the sand with my hand, touched docks, rammed a pontoon on a kneeboard (a poor attempt to get the other boat in our group wet; if i wasn't good, i'd of had serious injuries).

Your post is a good reminder to all to enjoy the water without hurting others day in the process. Your kids will know what not to do when they grow up just from experiences like these.

I try to fish from the dock on a sometimes busy lake. There are times where it is just too busy to fish from the dock and I put the rods away until the madness lessens. Typically the the person driving the boat never spots us fishing from the dock and runs our lines over. Most of the time they are looking back at the person they are pulling or looking back at their motor for some reason. It really gets me going when my sons are swimming. I have had a few choice words for these folks in the past but it's a futile waste. I know when I'm in my boat and see someone fishing from a dock I give them a wide birth. However this does not occur to a lot of boaters. I tell some of these folks "We are trying to enjoy the lake too". I suppose this is just a rant but please observe and give people a little room out there please. Any suggestions are welcome. Thansk.

Private or public dock? Private give them noise, if public the madness hasn't let up enough. crazy

What about some swim buoys then? I did that one year but don't anymore when I realized it wasn't needed where we're at. But if people are buzzing you that closely, check the regs and set some out accordingly. All you need are a few empty bleach bottles with orange crosses and diamonds painted on them if I remember correctly.

Deerminator, come by and say hi sometime, I'm there most weekends. We have one that the county gives me every year. I just need to better learn to hang up the fishing rods when it gets busy out there. For some reason when they leave the dock or the access they all go right and towards our dock. Too bad many boaters don't think about people on their docks until they run your line over. You are a bit more insulated where you are at.

Are there any rules for placing swim buoys in the lake? I was on Minnetonka on Sunday and one house created their swim area with 5 buoys. It's essentially the size of a large public beach.

There are not ropes connecting the buoys that I could tell. Just curious.

Here is a drawing. I'm guessing the dock is ~75 feet. Buoys are in Red.full-18186-34767-house.jpg

2 yrs ago, I was fishing Shields Lake in Faribault. As I was bring my boat into the dock to load it up, I saw a man and his young son set up on the dock, fishing pan fish. I gave them the benefit of the doubt, beached my boat far to one side, not to interrupt their fishing. I backed my trailer in at an angle, not to interfere with their fishing, loaded the boat quietly, not to interfere with their fishing, from a public boat dock. As I jumped from the boat to the back of my truck(because I was far enough away I could not reach the boat dock), I slipped, fell in the water, knocked myself unconscious. As I came to, another boater had run over to pull me out of the water and help me. I had actually broken my leg and had a severe concussion. But as all this was going on, the fisherman that was so kindly sitting on a public dock, fishing with his 10 year old son, got up, packed up and left, walking right past me as I was still getting help to my truck. No words, no concern.

So here is my point. If this was a public fishing pier, then what I did would have been just plain old Minnesota nice. With that being said, I am not so Minnesota nice any more. If you are fishing on a boat launch dock, I am not going to go out of my way to be nice to you. It is a boat dock, not a fishing pier.

2 yrs ago, I was fishing Shields Lake in Faribault. As I was bring my boat into the dock to load it up, I saw a man and his young son set up on the dock, fishing pan fish. I gave them the benefit of the doubt, beached my boat far to one side, not to interrupt their fishing. I backed my trailer in at an angle, not to interfere with their fishing, loaded the boat quietly, not to interfere with their fishing, from a public boat dock. As I jumped from the boat to the back of my truck(because I was far enough away I could not reach the boat dock), I slipped, fell in the water, knocked myself unconscious. As I came to, another boater had run over to pull me out of the water and help me. I had actually broken my leg and had a severe concussion. But as all this was going on, the fisherman that was so kindly sitting on a public dock, fishing with his 10 year old son, got up, packed up and left, walking right past me as I was still getting help to my truck. No words, no concern.

So here is my point. If this was a public fishing pier, then what I did would have been just plain old Minnesota nice. With that being said, I am not so Minnesota nice any more. If you are fishing on a boat launch dock, I am not going to go out of my way to be nice to you. It is a boat dock, not a fishing pier.

Thanks Chem. Sounds like it is legal, but only to 2500 sq ft, which this one is Way over.

Ouch thats a sad story, sorry. The launch dock in my mind is the launch dock. If you are going to fish from the launch dock you should get out of the way of those launching boats. Thats sad that you were so concerned about giving these folks some space when they didnt get concerned when you got hurt. I'm talking about boaters giving us a little room when we are fishing from our private dock. The buoy (1) we have out is between the public launch and our dock about 30 feet out. We know we don't own the water but if you are cutting from the public launch between the buoy and the dock thats just dangerous. Legally I'm not sure that there is anything we can do other than if the sherrif determines the boater is being dangerous. I'm just hopeful that boaters will be aware that someone if fishing from their dock and they realize they should give them some space as to not run their lines over. We all want to enjoy the lake thats all. A lot of times the driver is not looking where they are going rather they are watching the folks they are pulling or they are watching their motor tilt??? We don't think because we own a place on the lake that we have any more rights than a person that trailers their boat. I just want safe and respectful.

Everytime i pull up to the dock to load up my boat and there are a few people fishing off the public dock they never seem to want to ever reel up their lines so i can use both sides of the dock. Typically the dock is short enough that I can't tie my boat onto the same side i'm backing the trailer in. I usually get a bad look and they appear quite disgruntled. It's a boat launch. Fishing off the dock comes 2nd to loading/unloading. When i see someone fishing off the public launch dock i make sure to idle in as quietly as possible as to not scare the fish away for too long. It takes me less than 2 minutes once the trailer is in the water till the time i pull out of the water and they seem to think i'm ruining their entire day. laugh

You need a law like Nebraska, it's a against the law to fish from the public launch/dock.

You need a law like Nebraska, it's a against the law to fish from the public launch/dock.

I don't know if its a law here in No Dak, but pretty much every public launch I've been to so far has signs saying docks are for boaters only and it seems well respected. It sure is nice not having people in your way when you're trying to load/unload and get out of the way for the next boater.

Back to the original topic, you will always have those with zero respect for others. Personally when I'm fishing shorelines, if someone is on a dock I will kick the trolling motor into high gear and give them a wide berth until I get past them.

Used the ramp/dock at the Longbranch on Fall Lake (Winton). Took a long time to get the boat out of the water. blush 5 ladies were sunbathing on the dock. laugh Didn't want to bother them. whistle

If I'm fishing off the dock with my daughter and a boat is leaving or comeing in ,we avoid all that stuff and get off the dock right away.I guess I'm paranoid but you never know what's going to happen or what state of mind that boater is in.

When I was younger than 16 my Dad would watch me fish off the boat launch dock. At a dock like that people should be able to fish off of, but should be courteous of the boaters and get their lines in quick and out of their way. Although you shouldn't have to get off of the dock, just fish the other side until they have loaded up. It should be common sense putting yourself in the boaters shoes. A lot of my friends have boats and it is much more convenient to be able to pull up to the launch dock than beaching the boat. Not everyone can afford a boat, it should be mutual respect and everything will flow nicely.

Have a big daredevil ready to cast toward any id!ot that repeatedly gets too close. After all it's public property and you have as much right to it as they do. Just make sure to have a knife ready to cut the line and know you probably aren't going to get the lure back.

Have a big daredevil ready to cast toward any id!ot that repeatedly gets too close. After all it's public property and you have as much right to it as they do. Just make sure to have a knife ready to cut the line and know you probably aren't going to get the lure back.

x2. Just for common sense and to show most of us aren't trying to physically hurt others make sure to pull the treble off that daredevil before chucking it. A good whack on their precious boat will get them to go around you next time. They might have some choice words but they wouldn't be able to do anything to you. Plus you don't have to waste a lure to prove a point....

Jeez,better attach some padding on those daredevils.Someone might lose an eye

No intent on injuring anyone but if I'm on a dock and I can underhand cast and bounce off the side of your boat YOU ARE TOO CLOSE! Those that are on docks have a limited area that they can fish. If you're in a boat you can go anywhere on the lake. Common courtesy. But just like common sense-it's not all that common anymore.

When we go camping I like to take my dogs to the local lake for a swim but lots of times its hard to find a spot so I end up at a boat access, I realize its a boat access and if a boat come I get the dogs loaded up and wait. Plus I don't want them in the water when someone roars up with their boat to land.

One time I was an a access up by Long Prairie, pulled up and heres a guy and his wife with five kids fishing off the boat landing dock, about 70 yards away is another young couple fishing, its a hot day, I wanted to get the dogs wet, so I proceeded to throw dummies in-between them. My dogs didn't come anywhere close to their lines but this guy proceeded to read me the riot act, I'm sitting their thinking why don't you take these kids to a spot where they have a chance of catching fish (its shallow and weedy) but I saw the case of beer sitting by their truck so I just let it go - but instead of throwing just a few to get the dogs wet I proceeded to throw for 1/2 an hour, the wife was giving me the evil eye the whole time - I just smiled at her.

Thought it was ironic, he wasn't supposed to be there either but could give me he11 for what I was doing.

Yup, public access is going to be a wide range of activities. Blackjack maybe you should have given them the old stinkeye and said "what kind of people would throw hooks in the water when your dogs are trying to swim"?

Have a big daredevil ready to cast toward any id!ot that repeatedly gets too close. After all it's public property and you have as much right to it as they do.

If anyone bounced a daredevil off my boat at a landing dock, I'd practice casting a 6 oz bell sinker on their windshield or their head! Now as for private or fishing dock we would have no issues because I have other places to go! I also respect their right to enjoy fishing but on a landing I just want to launch or load and leave period. No tripping over water toys, coolers, fishing poles or anything!

I'm also sure my boat sticker pays more for the ramps than your fishing license does. Just as your fishing license pays more for the fish platform than my boat does.

Not to worry I wont be tying my boat up to your fish platform either!

Oh I forgot to mention! If I'm out and I see a boat to close to a fishing pier or platform for the handicap I will blow a gasket! That is plain old wrong and rude!!

erik,

Good idea on posting a reminder for boaters to think of others using their private docks near public accesses. I too try to give a wide berth to people on their docks but have come up on some without realizing it until the last minute. This is more while fishing than just navigating.

I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea to call the Sheriff if you're seeing a safety risk. Maybe they can place a no wake buoy or hand out some tickets.

Just don't start tossing heavy metal objects or you might guarantee a visit. grin