• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

We are thinking of making a first ever day trip into Trout Lake next week. Would anyone be willing to share tips, tricks, general information to help make this a good experience for my boys? We would probably target walleyes, look for a good shore lunch spot and just enjoy exploring the lake. We would be fishing out of 16' with 25hp. Thanks

I have not been to Trout Lake since last summer, therefore, my reply is based only on past experience and not first-hand info from this year. Trout Lake is deep and usually remains cold longer than Lake Vermilion. This year, Lake Vermilion is warming slower than normal and I can only imagine that Trout is still high 50's/low 60's. Walleyes will be tough! If a shore lunch is on the itinerary then, by all means, keep the small bass you'll most likely catch. Fish the north end of the lake because it'll usually warm faster. I am hesitant to refer to exact locations due to rock hazards on the routes to where I fish. Late spring fishing has been best with leeches(for me). Be very careful traveling around Trout exploring. There are no marker buoys and there is no shortage of rocks that will take out a lower unit. Make your boys wear their life vests(you too). You can't build a fire just anywhere, so make sure you use a fire pit at a designated campsite.

Trout Lake has changed over the years and finding walleyes has become even more difficult due to an overpopulation of small bass. If there is a tight-lipped lake in the entire area, it is Trout Lake and it wouldn't surprise me if you get little info other than what I have just furnished.

Good luck and be very careful.

Good Fishing,

MarkB smile

The warming might be faster than you think. We just got back from a week on Quetico Lake, and surface temps were approaching 70, even in areas of 100 foot plus depth. That was the week of 15th through 22nd.

To that good advice, I will add that Burntside, which is similar in acreage and depth to Trout Lake, had surface temps of 70 degrees yesterday.

I would also add go on a windy, overcast day. Never had much luck on calm sunny days do to the water clarity. I would work point's and structure that has some weed's.

Just got back from a two-day trip into Trout. My buddy and I found fishing difficult. The weather was all over the place with storms forcing us to take shelter twice and threatening a third time. When the storms didn't have us on our heals, it was sunny and hot. Not sure if the weather was the reason, or if the lake is just that difficult to figure out.

We ended up giving up on Walleyes and Trout (which we couldn't catch)and focused on casting for Smallmouths (which were plentiful and easy to catch).

Still a fun trip and a beautiful lake...just had us scratching our heads.

I might add that on quetico we were getting walleye trolling raps in 10 feet of water in areas that had shallow shelves near shore. Not so good if it dropped off into deep water close to the shore.

Trout Lake was a difficult lake to figure out when the walleye fishing was fantastic! In my opinion, the smallmouth bass have ruined Trout Lake due to their overpopulation and subsequent competition with walleyes for forage. I won't even get into the discussion involving walleye reproduction and the effect the bass have on fingerlings, etc shocked. Once the bass leave the spawning beds, the reefs fill up with bass and getting a leech or crawler down to the walleyes is next to impossible. I have changed my entire approach to fishing Trout Lake for walleyes. I no longer fish the reefs during the late spring/summer months. I prefer mud flats that have little to no bass appeal smirk. WHEN, and that is the key word: when, the walleyes are on the flats, it can be unreal fishing for 18"-25" walleyes. There are enough flats in various locations around Trout Lake to keep an angler busy for at least a few days, at which time, if you run out of spots, just start over. When the walleyes are really going on Trout Lake, the problem is catching fish small enough to eat wink.

So, grapeapplepie, don't feel too bad. Trout Lake has humbled the best of them grin.

Good Fishing,

MarkB smile

Thanks for the replies and good information regarding Trout Lake. It really helps to have an idea of what to expect.