Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

1st Please Post Your Fishing Report - Then Join the NEW - Private Fishing Report Clubs   01/24/2018

Private Fishing Report Clubs - Click Here - Post Your Fishing Report Before Joining
      1st, be sure you post a fishing report in the forums, then ask to join after you post a fishing report in your area forum. The Private Fishing Report Clubs are where folks can share private fishing information with club members who have proven they know what's going on. Fishing Report Clubs Link also in Menu above. Apply to become a member today, while it's still easy. 
  • RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
bgreen82

Towing Capacity?

Question

bgreen82

Owners manual says Max tow weight is 2800 lbs with trailer brakes. Add 1000 lbs with boat. Is this due to aerodynamics of a boat and trailer as opposed to other trailers? I don't want to put any strain on my whip. What weight should I realistically be towing and what type of boat could that be? Have been looking at 17-18 ft fish/skis. Lund/crestliner/warrior/alumacraft type with minimum 90hp motor. Is this viable?

Thanks,

10 answers to this question

TR21HP

You're really pushing the upper limits of that tow vehicle. If you look at an average boat, motor and trailer combined weight, dry ,in the 17-18' length you are looking at at average of 2,800 - 3,000 lbs. Add fuel and gear and you're up to 3,200-3,500 lbs. I just searched Lund, Crestliner and Alumacraft. A Warrior that size might be a tad heavier.

Savage Brewer

You didnt state what your towing vehicle is.

Maybe with that we can give you a better idea.

Along with the total weight of the towed trailer, you also need to be concerned with tongue weight and wether you can safely stop a 3000 pound trailer and control it at highway speeds.

bgreen82

A 2007 Santa Fe. A new vehicle might have to come before the new boat.

I don't want to buy a boat that I can pull now that is something I don't want then get a vehicle where I could pull more later and be disappointed with the boat that I have.

Savage Brewer

Well according to Hyundai it can tow 2800 to 3500 pounds depending where I look, but I wouldn't feel safe personally doing that.

An aluminum 17.5 foot boat can easily hit 1500 pounds, add 300 pounds of batteries, anchors and misc rigging, another 400 pounds for the motor, 200 pounds of gas (34 gallons) and another 600 pounds on the trailer... You are at 3000 pounds really quick, and that is without coolers, fishing gear and misc...

With a load like that you would probably looking at a minimum of 250 pounds of tongue weight...

regardless, be safe.

delcecchi

And close to needing brakes on the trailer...

Powerstroke

I hate to read the posts that preach that there is only one right answer, but with this vehicle and the way the tow rating is written, you're looking at too much boat/trailer. Its just not a good match.

I would decide which vehicle you are more committed to, the boat or the suv. There is lots of great info in the RV camping forums here about towing properly. Genearll its good to keep a 10-20% safety margin in your tow ratings. Also consider the GVWR and GCVWR when adding your weights. Like many have mentioned, once you add gas, batteries, gear trolling motor, etc (these items aren't included in published weights) you get close to the tow vehicle rating. Not to mention, the vehicle has ratings too and if you've got gas, food, bait, gear, kids or buddies etc in your SUV, you are likely maxing out that rating too.

All the safety talk aside, drivability is important and if you're bumping up against your weight ratings usually means the vehicle will feel under-powered, may steer differently, shift differently and will probably get miserable gas mileage. That may not matter driving to the local honey hole, but a trip "up north" or whereever you like to go is not always fun.

My last suv experience was towing a 17' Smokercraft with a 70hp 4stroke and full of gear for a Canadian fishing trip. I was towing with my Nissan Xterra v6 rated for 5000lb towing. It was brutal. I had to tow with overdrive off the entire way and got 7-8mpg. It made it, but it was not fun.

bgreen82

Thanks guys, I'll stick to my 14 footer for now. It's possible a new vehicle is in the works for within the next year so I'll continue my boat search next year maybe.

Powerstroke

bgreen, didn't you used to have a ford truck?

bgreen82

Nope, never have.

Powerstroke

Ok. I know a guy who uses a very similar screen name on a ford truck site.